shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey all, firstly I'm not sure if this belongs here so mods please move it if it doesn't :).
Anyways,

Long story short my project takes place entirely in a very large city with different types of areas. Now obviously when walking down city streets there's going to be buildings on both sides of the road probably with entrances. So I want to set up sort of different camera angles, like say for example when you go down a certain amount you're transported to the same place on another map that's effectively a rotated version of the previous map so you can see the entrances to buildings on the other side of the street. I personally like this since it will allow for what I feel would be a more realistic map since obviously all buildings aren't facing the same way. My only concern is that it's going to be very disorienting for the player to navigate, and setting up all the teleport events is going to be a pain in the arse. So what are you guys thoughts? Is there maybe a better way for me to portray what I'm trying to do?

Let me know guys,
-Shady

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm doing the exact same thing. I didn't want every single structure you could enter facing south. It annoyed me. So, I just made maps for each part of the city, rather than one huge map.

I think it's fine. To be honest, I doubt the player will even notice, or if they do they'll just assume it's the camera changing. It'd only be disorienting, in my opinion, if the player knew where true north was in your game and had to use vague directions to get around.

Guiguimu

Walking Disaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My opinion is this: You should try it and release a small demo. See what people really think of that now that they had the experience.

I too think is a good idea, I was thinking about doing something similar but in different perspectives and maps. In map X I see the character and his surroundings in a perspective like for an example, over the shoulder, in another map I would see the player like birds view, from top.

If you like it, try it out!

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Usually, when you go to the bottom of a map, you transfer to the top of the other.
Being in a reverse situation will certainly confuse players since their left-right sense will be swapped each time.
You can do it on a select few maps with distinctive marks, but as a general rule, try to avoid. It works in 3D, not that well with 2D since we don't have the rotation in between to help the brain.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.
A lot to learn to make a game. Can I handle it?
I've been working on status effects since last thursday, and today I finished the core mechanic of Zombie, Teleport, Curse and Recall. Zombie and Curse are lacking a few things to make them complete atm. Teleport though is the "HAHA" spell for some of my mobs, but can "NOPE" at them with Recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GHench