Digging holes to find treasure

pkessler

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I want to make a game that will heavily involve digging to find fossils and other ancient treasures. Is this possible in RPG Maker MV? I don't know anything about programming, but I've been using RPG Maker for 5+ years.

I saw a tutorial on this, but it involved making a bunch of invisible events that get summoned when you click the ground, which I don't want to do.

Isn't there a way to tag/mark certain ground types so that if your shovel is out you can trigger a digging hole event? I feel like there has to be, but I've also heard that it's not possible to change the actual terrain tiles. I would be happy with just creating a "hole" event on top of that tile, but I'd rather not have to litter each map with hundreds of these invisible events.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can use region ID to mark places, then link a common event to be used on a skill to check if there is an ID on a tile and react depending on it.

However, this (and most alternative ways) have a problem because the map is fixed - the only way to mark a position in any way by default is to use an event.

So you'll either have to use a lot of events where digging should be possible, or you need a plugin to give you another way to handle the problem - either a custom plugin for your specific idea, or a map change plugin to make changes to the map (which will also result in a slightly more complex common event as it has to check for more options.

pkessler

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
you can use region ID to mark places, then link a common event to be used on a skill to check if there is an ID on a tile and react depending on it.

However, this (and most alternative ways) have a problem because the map is fixed - the only way to mark a position in any way by default is to use an event.

So you'll either have to use a lot of events where digging should be possible, or you need a plugin to give you another way to handle the problem - either a custom plugin for your specific idea, or a map change plugin to make changes to the map (which will also result in a slightly more complex common event as it has to check for more options.
Shoot. There's no way to summon a clone of an event to one spot? Like you have to physically place each event every time? That's such a bummer.

It sounds like my only option is to have only a few spots on each map where digging is possible, and they'll have to be twinkling or marked in some way :(

pkessler

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
To help with cloning events, you could always use Yanfly's Event Copier. It can be found here: http://yanfly.moe/2018/07/06/yep-168-event-copier-rpg-maker-mv/

Since it seems that using events will be the most efficient way to do the digging system, this should help alleviate some of the monotony.
Wait, this is amazing! Thank you so much. I still have to place invisible events, but at least now they'll all be connected to one master event that I can change whenever.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Game Mechanic Design is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...? (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.
[move]RPGMaker MV[/move]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally did a test of sorts for the opening of my game... ... including this shot here.
My current status!?
It might be... QUAKE!!! :o
At least that was true several hours ago. :p
Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hnhat