Goddiga

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I was wondering if you would normally set the same price for the digital copy perk (may or may not include other rewards) and a selling price on Steam or anywhere else when crowdfunding or not.

What's usually the sensible choice or your suggestion and why?
1. A perk for digital copy = actual price
2. A perk for digital copy > actual price
3. A perk for digital copy < actual price
4. A perk for digital copy + previous perks (wallpaper, sketch etc.) = actual price
5. A perk for digital copy + previous perks (wallpaper, sketch etc.) > actual price
6. A perk for digital copy + previous perks (wallpaper, sketch etc.) < actual price

At the moment, I was considering choice 4. But I was curious as to what the crowdraiser normally do and what is much more acceptable for the backers.

Thank you very much!

Llareian

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I had a little trouble understanding the question but hopefully I'm answering what you asked.

I've never sold a game but I've backed enough crowdfunding projects to know that I expect a little extra for funding the project. You should definitely go with 3, 4, or 6. I would think either 3 or 4 would be fine. If I'm helping you make your game, I should get something more out of it than Joe Gamer who just buys the game later. Think of me as an investor. I should get my initial investment back plus interest.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Generally, the most logical thing to me is to reward those who support your game BEFORE it comes out. That means a digital copy perk reward should be cheaper than the actual price of the game at release. The same goes if you're releasing a game on Steam Early Access. The EA version should be cheaper than the final product IMO, because it 1) involves a risk for people with their money that your game might not even be finished, and 2) involves them giving you their money much earlier, exactly when you need it (there is a time-based value on money; in essence getting $10 now is always going to be better than getting $10 in a year).

So either choices 3 or 4 seem the most reasonable to me.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If perks are good enough, you can even go for higher price. But you must offer something in return. If just early access, then definitely cheaper than normal game. If crowdfunding, a free copy of the game under the actual price, because they contribute to the development funds.
However, if you offer more interesting perks, we can consider how high we want to go. For example in one game I contributed $25 to on kickstarter I will receive 2 copies of the game, one for android and another one on steam, as well as the ability to choose a captain names for generator, name a planet and a quadrant after myself. If I paid $5 more, I'd receive the art book, but I didn't feel like it. Then there were $50, which were three copies of the game, an exp and stuff pack for the game beginning and free alpha access. And of course as the price went higher, the perks went on. At $100 you gained a copy you could freely share with your friends as well as being able to contribute to the game and peoples' design.
So don't be afraid of offering rewards for contributions higher than game price... But back it up with the right rewards if you want to motivate people to go higher. They will then choose whether the perks are worth it or not.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Cosmetix.gif

Hey man, why don't you do some progress on your game? Oh, because you'd rather wake up at 5am and spend the night making a cosmetics system for your side view battlers? Ok.
spillycup wrote on Finnuval's profile.
i love u so much! i’m so happy you’re in my life right now :kaocry:
To my horror, I found out I got zero Jack Vance books in my bookshelf! :kaoback: Where do y'all go in the internet to buy used books? Like, not Amazon?
Marquise* wrote on Mrs_Allykat's profile.
Your new logo is sooooo attractive! Feels like those sour liquid candy mixed with the wrapping of the popping candy rocks ones. ^^ It gives flavor and taste to our eyes. ^^
Sorry I couldn't comment before, I relogged here for someone's B-Day yesterday. ((Yeah yeah... been scared got on the throne and all as usual. Being social seems harder than walking now. So sorry to everyone and especially you.))
How goes the game make?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoffreighbigginshire