DiM: Afterhours

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

A download link will be available here when it is completed.

Story/Setting

Nearly a century into the future the world is still recovering from the Global Climate Crisis.

With the world in disarray the games industry is thriving as more and more people attempt to escape the bleak reality around them.

A New Korean firm, MerCo Industries, is about to roll out its new MMO, 'Project DiM'.  They promise that, coupled with the launch of their company's Head Mounted Display, the HIDeO, people can 'live in their world' - complete with real money paid jobs, deep quest-lines, and a story that is driven by the collective consciousness of all those who log in to the world.  This attitude has brought heavy criticism from the Humanity First activist group, who have relentlessly campaigned against MerCo Industries launching hardware which 'steals people's lives in exchange for false realities'.  In response, MerCo Industries has decided to allow a third party company to  demonstrate the safety and efficacy of their pilot product.

To verify their new MMO and hardware are safe for public consumption, MerCo Industries outsourced this demonstration to Mobius SoftWorks.  

With only weeks to go before the product's launch, the pressure is high for Mobius to deliver on their contract and complete their first human-piloted test of the product with the HIDeO.  Glitches, strange behavior from the device, and constant patches to the game plague their tests but, as the first human pilot arrives to test the device - suddenly everything begins to work smoothly.

Screenshots

View attachment 33704

Features

• Genre – Sci-Fi Cyberpunk Horror

• Engine - RPG Maker MV

• Type of Combat - Action Stealth

• Maturity Level/Warnings – 14+ recommended.

• Estimated Playtime - 20+ minutes

• Gameplay - Semi-linear.  Story segments buffered by gameplay sections.  Gameplay includes puzzles, chase scenes, and stealth segments with optional side-areas and puzzles which detail the story and background more.

Progress

3-5-2016: Project development has begun.  Approx. 5 minutes of play created so far.

3-14-2016: Up to 8 minutes now and the introduction is finished.  Also finalized the HUD elements.

Credits

Almost all of the art: RPG Maker MV RTP

Music: RTP + Derrick / IX

And various plugin authors, et cetera.

Full credits available in-game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Won't be done in time for the challenge.  Would a mod move this thread to project development as I do still intend on completing it?

Thanks!

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Free bump for Firgof, for his endless contributions to our small RPGMaker community. Best of luck to you my friend, your game looks awesome!

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks much, LeoHeart.  Been a part of the larger community since 2003 and I'm around if you know where to look in the smaller ones.  I try not to be as much a lurker these days as I was back then.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
This looks promising so far. A project like this needs a few more screenshots or videos to really comment on it, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Made a Tumblr to keep stuff up to date and not flood this topic with little art and so on updates.  Check it out if you like:  dimafterhours.tumblr.com

Meanwhile, worked on some concept art for Mjnlh (a character who'll appear later in the game) and formally structured the game's plot.  

The story is now complete from start to end - there's a few details that haven't been filled in yet but they're mostly cosmetic.

The gameloop has been figured out, so I know have the flow for the gameplay.  I took inspiration from Silent Hill 3's game loop here - though I made some modifications that I thought would help speed things along.

Finally, the new Select Item script is working beautifully and I've started getting the DRM system to accept the Key Memories so that the player can traverse from memory to memory.  Also added in a bit more to the introduction - and I'm thinking of making a partially animated intro to the game.

Mjnlh-concept2.PNG

JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
Looks marvelous! LoL at the Window's name in 1st pic XD

JoePie

of Art/Game
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
Wow. Just beautiful. And OMG. I go to your tumblr and see you built 3D model for character concept! Marvelous!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinnEver