Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
An Adventure/Horror Game
(Demo of the Prologue available at the bottom of this post -- Feedback welcome!)​
 ​
Development Progress
ETA: Feb 2014
Story [ * * * * - ]
Design [ * * - - - ]​
 Art [ * * * - - ]​
SFX/BGM [ * * * - - ]​
 ​
What is a secret worth?  Is it worth your comfort, your friends, your life ... your world? ​
Daniel Warren, an enigmatic man whose shadowy past darkens most of the world, is about to embark upon a journey to discover his answer.​
 ​
Among the cracked ruins of Johnston Airforce Base, Daniel must find the corpse of Nathan Grave, a man who in life was extorted by Daniel to keep his secrets quiet. ​
In death, Nathan threatens to reveal Daniel's dark past for all the world to see -- his cruel karma threatening not only Daniel's life but his identity itself.​
 ​
Slumbering in darkness the Siren awaits her master's next command. ​
As Daniel inches ever toward discovering the fate of Nathan Grave, 07 watches, curiosity the only thing keeping his hand from crushing Daniel's unsuspecting mind.​
 ​
Between the dim lights, cloaked in darkness, lies an unfortunate truth.
Will he survive long enough to learn it -- or go mad in the attempt?
 ​
 ​
Daniel Warren
Codename: "Fallen Cross"
An enigmatic man whose former employer rests among the most powerful of secret organizations in existence.​
He searches Johnston Atoll for the body of Nathan Grave, a man who he personally embarrassed on a national level.​
His network of contacts is as extensive as it is indecipherable -- much the same can be said of his skillset.​
 ​
Nathan Grave
Former EIC, Black Eagle Publishing Ltd.
All his life, he has striven to wrest himself free from being controlled by others.​
His journalistic ambitions were high and his sense of integrity admirable, especially in the face of his father's reputation for skullduggery.​
Ultimately, his encounter with Daniel Warren led him to ruin.​
 ​
His whereabouts for the last five years are unknown.​
 ​
"North Star"
[ DATA EXPUNGED ]
At Daniel's request, North Star has delivered him to the Johnston AFB.​
Surly, but somewhat carefree, North Star and Daniel Warrens are age-old friends.​
 ​
"07"
[ DATA EXPUNGED ]
 ​
 ​
DrewThaNinja plays Dim's Prologue Demo
Part One

​
Part Two

​
IFinchBe plays Dim's Prologue Demo

​

(Click an image to see a larger version)
 ​
 ​
Morbid Ponderings
Multiple endings.  Many bad; few are good -- only one is true.​
 ​
A Gravekeeper's Lament
Dim strives to be a true-to-its-roots horror game; it is not a thriller.​
 ​
Labyrinths upon Labyrinths
Original puzzles, multiple difficulty settings (from the Casual to the Challenging)​
 ​
Mental (Un)Sanitation
A unique 'mental infection' mechanic which alters the world and your perceptions of it.​
Let your sanity decay too far and go mad -- yet only the disturbed can see the horrors around them.​
 ​
Siren's Song
Dim is a part of the 'Redemption' Saga.​
 ​
The Alter Proxy's Blessing
Gor(e)geous, painted-by-tablet, environments to lose yourself in.​
 ​
Mercy Kill
Dim is a 1-3 hour long game but multiple playthroughs are encouraged.​
Not all the secrets of Johnston Atoll can be discovered by one man's brief brush with fate.​
 ​
 ​
 ​
DIM is not a complete game at this time.
As I continue to expand, finish, and detail systems in Dim I will also update the demo to reflect those changes.​
This may result in bugs but I do test my releases to try and minimize any harmful or show-stopping problems.
 ​
DIM contains strong language, violence, disturbing themes, moments of intense binaural stimulation, and gore.​
If you suffer from epilepsy, be advised: DIM does contain bright flashes which may cause seizures.
 ​
(Prologue section; roughly 20-40 minutes of gameplay)
You may save your progress at the end of the Prologue -- I will do my best to make that save compatible with the full game.
 ​
Available at:
 ​
"I started the game -- but nothing happened!"
Dim takes a few moments to start; the game does not run while the window is not focused.​
 ​
"I clicked on the game window while the game was starting up and it crashed."
This is due to the Mouse System I'm using not having been properly initialized.​
I'm looking in to how to solve this but as it is avoidable by simply waiting for the main menu to appear, it is low-priority.​
 ​
"My game crashed somewhere else."
There are lingering crashes that occur very infrequently. ​
Please report this crash by PM, including what happened to cause it and what error was given.
(This is to ensure that I am able to read and respond to your crash promptly)​
 ​
"I can't get my character to interact with this object"
Clicking on an adjacent event may not activate it; step away from the event to activate it if this occurs.​
 ​
"I have no idea how to solve this safe puzzle."
PM me and I'll give you hints.​
(There will be a hint system in Dim eventually which will provide solutions if prompted enough times)​
 ​
"I'm stuck in the hallway next to the Office!  Something has walled me in!"
If your character has exited the Office and is intercepted, you may have to Run to get away from the Being as it will be constantly attempting to move into your square.​
 ​
"I have the Fuse -- where do I go to turn the power on?"
At the end of the pier in the Resevoir, place your mouse beneath your character and you'll see "Enter/Exit Water".  This will lead you to where you have to go.​
 ​
"The game is unplayable after I get to the Alter World due to lag!"
I'm working on optimizing the effects I'm using to make the Alter World and the Infection System less burdensome.​
As doing so may take some time, I'm working on implementing a hotfix which allows you to choose 'graphics quality' at the same time you choose puzzle difficulty.​
 ​
"The BGS is 'cycling' in Sector A" (when in the Alter World)
The BGS events in that corridor are not yet properly managed.​
This is a low priority fix but I am working on getting it manageable.​
 ​
"I got a Bad End -- but the game doesn't go back to the Title Screen"
Due to a limitation in the Game Over script I'm using, you may have to click at the end of a GO script to go back to the Title Screen.​
 ​
"I clicked twice accidentally during a Bad End and skipped it!"
Be careful not to click during GameOvers while message boxes are not on screen; doing so may cause you to immediately skip the GO miniscene.​
 ​
"I keep getting shot!"
Don't dally; run!   If you don't want Bad End C; you must find a safe location and there's only one place in the facility that's safe.​
 ​
(Updated as the Demo or Full Release builds are updated)​
Demo v0.03 (12/1/2013)
Fixed
  • An error in my scripting caused the same event to run twice, resulting in an infinite loop and making the last 2 minutes of the Demo unplayable (as well as preventing saves).  This has been resolved.
  • Corrected a mistake which prevented the last two soundclips from being played.
Added
  • Depending on your choices and statistics, you may be hunted throughout the complex.
  • A useful hint regarding the nature of the complex

Changed
  • Players could run by an Infection causing event without recognizing it.  It has now been specifically highlighted.
  • Expanded and polished the end of the demo sequence.
  • The Default difficulty safe puzzle has been made slightly easier.
 ​
Demo v0.02 (11/29/2013)
FIXED
Corrected some grammatical errors.​
Restored the Siren's Song Bad End -- was improperly giving a simple GO screen instead of playing its mini-scene.​
Corrected some logic errors in the Hallucinations system which could result in infinite loops and infinitely gained Infection.​
 ​
ADDED
Expanded upon the Alter World in Sector A.​
Expanded scenery and interactables on the Atoll.​
Added hint for the location of the Fuse.​
Added rudimentary VA-work for 07.​
 ​
CHANGED
Gameover events are now miniature scenes.​
On game over and at the demo's end, character's stats are displayed.​
Adjusted some light values here and there.​
 ​
 ​
Dim includes contributions, resources, or scripts (some modified) from the following persons and/or resource packs.​
RPG Maker DS+ Resource Pack
© 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC; artists Archeia, EvilEagles, Tobby Ong, Caz
 ​
Futuristic Tiles Resource Pack
© 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC; artist Celianna.
 ​
Modern Day Tiles Resource Pack
© 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC; artists Lunarea and Celianna.
 ​
Sinister Hollows
© 2013 Murray Atkinson
 ​
Survival Horror Music Mega-Pack
© 2013 Joel Steudler
 ​
Acezon (Map as Title Screen)
Estriole (Notebook System)
Galv (Region Effects)
GDS (Ultimate Parallax Control)
Khas Arcthunder (Khas Awesome Light Effects)
KilloZappit (Word Wrapping Message Boxes)
Majirefly (MapName+)
mikb89 (Ambient Sound)
Mithran (Graphics Object Global Reference, Text Cache Bugfix)
modern algebra (ATS: Message Options, ATS: Formatting, ATS: Special Message Codes, Animated Parallax)
Moghunter (Wallpaper EX, Weather EX)
Neonblack (Fade-across Audio)
Nicke ( Core Module, Journal System)
Shaz (Super Simple Mouse Script)
Tsukihime (Data Backup, Map Screenshot, Gameover Events, Splash Screen Map, Window Animation Designer)
Victor Sant (Step Sound, Fog and Overlay)
V.M. of D.T. (Proximity Detection Script)
Yanfly (Core Engine, Save Add-on, Save ConfirmBox, Save NewGame+, System Options)
Zeus81 (Fullscreen++, Map Effects)

Last edited by a moderator:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Hello just  a recommendation, the EULA for the resource packs specifically states who to credit when you want to use them. Please make sure to read that :)

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Edit: Everyone should be properly credited now.  Sorry about that.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've updated the thread with Let's Plays of Dim for those who would like to see what the demo has to offer but don't want to use 100MBs of their bandwidth to do so.

Coming this Friday I'll be removing the RTP requirement for Dim along with a host of other potential improvements like (finally) the addition of the HUD to the game and hopefully a more appropriate item system.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After a few weeks of rolled-up sleeves I've de-RTP'd Dim; though it gave me hell for it.  I've added new content in the form of interstitial video footage, new sound effects, a new [system] tab (Controls the volume of BGM, BGS, SE, and (WIP) the puzzle difficulty of the game) and a couple of tweaks to the insanity system and some of the dialogues.  Bug-fixes galore.

The writing still needs some polishing here and there and I'd like to streamline the introduction a little more ... but with where it is I think I can move on to Chapter 1 and beyond at full speed ahead, now that the Prologue is in a pretty decent state.  I'm still on target for a late February release if I'm able to keep my pace up.

As with before: Please let me know if you encounter any bugs in your playthrough.  I'd like to squash all the bugs in the prologue as soon as possible so I can close off that section of the game as 'done'.  I also welcome Lets Plays, micro and full length reviews, or just plain suggestions, comments, or criticisms.

Hope you have fun.  :)

EDIT: A missing resource made playing through to the reservoir impossible.  I've appended the demo to include the full RTP while I track down the culprit.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Still working on Dim -- albeit at a slower rate than I hoped.

Would love some feedback/critique to bring this map from decent to great.

Parallax

In-game shot.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If you were hoping feedback for that map, I would like to provide some but your mapping is so good that I have not much to say other than, good job!

supercow

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesia
Primarily Uses
well the mapping/ resources to make the map is great dunno what else to say about it.

i found something strange though : the middle of the room above the character, isnt that a faucet? that looks like it.

water and electronic dont match.

i think theres some map screenshot somewhere where you can ask about your map/mapping.

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
well the mapping/ resources to make the map is great dunno what else to say about it.

i found something strange though : the middle of the room above the character, isnt that a faucet? that looks like it.

water and electronic dont match.

i think theres some map screenshot somewhere where you can ask about your map/mapping.
It's a big basin.  Aye, and I recognize the juxtaposition -- there's a story to this room that explains how/why there's cable running through that area.

Aye, I found the Game & Map Screenshots thread afterward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I really need to stop thinking there are new freebies just because someone made a new post in the freebies subforum lol.
AND just like that..... I got STEAM DLC up and working! YES!
Game making is like a marathon, except the last 1/4 is more like sprint... a very long and intense sprint.
Finally got to finish the demo for my project!
Another week has gone by. Maybe you made changes to your project/s. Maybe you didn't. Nonetheless, THAT IS NO EXCUSE TO NOT BACK THEM UP O_O!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AZAIKING