Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey everybody,

My game has some very long and unwieldy text parts that can be difficult to edit in the small and static dialog boxes of the event editor - accordingly, I had the idea this morning of potentially editing them directly through the JSON map files, utilizing Notepad++ with a JSON viewer plugin to make it easier to parse the code.

Unfortunately, doing this really seems to throw RPG Maker MV itself into a tiff. I get syntax errors when I try to run the scenes, and then if I quit and restart it seems to wipe the map data completely!

Because I'm thinking I'm probably not the first person to think of doing something like this, does anyone know of a good way to do it? One that doesn't break everything, basically? :)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I do this when needing a 'bulk' update of specific terms; an example would be when I decided to take out the automatic text boxes (all dialogues ended with '\|\^'...). I opened all of the Map files and did a global Replace for all open files. I've also done more targeted editing, but I'll admit that it can be dangerous, and any mistake is paid 'cash'. An obvious precaution is, of course, to firstly put aside a 'backup' copy of the original file, to at least enable a 'roll-back' to a preceding stable version. Other than that, it's just a question of taking one's time, double-checking that one is effectively working on the correct part of code, take reasonable breaks, don't rush through just to finish it off if one gets tired.

I don't know what a JSON viewer implies (maybe I already have one; I'll look it up...), but find Notepad++ very easy to work with. What mods are you wanting to do..? Is there a common reason why they 'break' the game, or is it random..? I've not had a problem (as yet...), but my mods are either very light-weight or highly researched. It's a useful method, but can have more drawbacks than it's worth, sometimes.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm tempted to leave the Fight/Escape choice in the Boss Battle submission and make Escape pop up Nedry from Jurassic Park: "Uh uh unh!"
Is it weird that i feel overwhelmed from reading codes that i wrote few months ago? Lol.

I dont even know where to continue!:hsad:
Ami
Gosh,I want to Play this Game Again one more again!

Seeing my Own Character & Kannono Once Again!
Tales_of_the_World_Radiant_Mythology_3_JPN_PSP-Coverart.jpg
I've been a bit to depressed to get work done on the game lately. Don't worry, I'll be okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abishanth