EidolonDreams

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I've noticed something, and it's been bugging me.

All of the stock character portraits and the vast majority of game devs have characters facing to the left, with a select few being changed to front-facing (toward the viewer). But my default instinct when drawing is to draw partially right-facing portraits (facing the text box).

I realize that, at least for a horizontal battler, left-facing makes some sense... your characters' portraits face the same way that they do in combat. And I can see the same being true for front-facing portraits with vertical battle games...

But really, how important is any of this? Is this good game design, or am I totally overthinking it?

Can I leverage doing what I'm inclined to do anyway to stand out in a good way, or is this going to bug people?

arsMori

Drawer of Images
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Supposedly, many people find it easier to draw faces or heads facing to the left (I do). I'm trying to Google things about this thing, and the stuff I saw say you'll draw people facing to the left more often as someone who is right-handed or has a "read from left to right" native language. Some say their drawings just turn out better as facing the left.

Personally, I don't really give thought to the direction my character's heads face. I've only purposely made a character look to the right because I wanted her to face the opposite direction of her twin brother's face portrait.

EidolonDreams

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This was actually something I considered mentioning in my post, but decided to wait.

I would think that, if you read left-to-right, it would make more sense for your characters to be facing right. Like "leading lines" in art, where is this person looking? Are they focusing us back on something present, like the text box, or staring into the off-screen void that we can't see?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
RM is a japanese product heavily influenced by light novels and manga.
japanese manga is read right-to-left.

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would think that, if you read left-to-right, it would make more sense for your characters to be facing right. Like "leading lines" in art, where is this person looking?

RM is a japanese product heavily influenced by light novels and manga.
japanese manga is read right-to-left.
I'm not sure the logic here follows. I'm sooner inclined to say it's coincidence that the portraits face the opposite as the direction of Japanese script. Here's an example of the reverse being normal.

When the ancient Egyptians wrote right-facing hieroglyphs, which would be read right-to-left, any human figures depicted in imagery accompanying the hieroglyphic also faced right, and vice-versa, save when the imagery was accidental to the text. There are exceptions of course, but this was the norm.

1653547619762.png
The text above the sculptor describes his name and title, above the statue the same respectively. Itjau the Head Sculptor and the high-ranking priest Henenit the Black.

Moot point as far as the thread concerns me, anyway. All my portraits face front!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Enig and Riley.png
Each area of my game acts sort of like a level of sorts. These 3 are the bosses of the first area. Called Team Outcast, there's Riley, Mary Mars McQueen (Triple M), and Enig. A trio of wanna be super heroes.
hQopibt.gif

Now with animated hair~
This could be useful...
I made a menu option that pulls a (accurate) version of the world map from my game instead of having a "traditional" world map. How did I do?

1656552400614.png

..Every time after I edit it and repost it I find a new tiny error I made. :kaodes:
1656550526125.png
Town Design is the best part of an RPG. Well, that and dungeon design

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evanjocobs