Dirge's Free Stuff! (Newest: Animation Pack 1)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX/Ace Resources' started by Dirge, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Dirge

Dirge Sound Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey guys! I'm back, with more stuff! My old, legacy VXA stuff is now separated from MV things!

Everything I post here is made by me, from scratch, and is free for both commercial and non-commercial use as long as I'm credited.

NOTE: These animations are made for 64 fps. Go grab Waynee95's animation rate plugin for MV for best results with these!

Pack 1:
    Contents:
    • Cinders: A cloud of fiery sparks that start off slow-moving, then rapidly swarm inward.
    • Dark Portal: An oval of blue-purple particles appears, and rays rush into the center, building a flare of energy at the center.
    • Death Rose: Roiling waves of energy that unfold like a rose before pulsing suddenly outward.
    • Poison Fog: A green fog cloud that swirls outwards from a central point.
    • Regeneration Orb: A green ring appears around the target, pauses for a moment, then rays and rings of energy swarm inward while smoky green wisps leak outward.
    Pack 1 Link

Let's kick it off with the first set - sixteen weapons! Seven swords, two axes, two daggers, two bows and three staffs (staves? MAGIC STICKS!!!!) for your adventurers to inflict harm on each other with.

[​IMG]

My musings on this pack: The blue crystal staff turned out a lot more "techy" than I had intended, but I actually really like it. The weird tentacle-eye-thing sword on the far left was inspired by the weapon my current D&D 5th Edition character uses. My first attempt at making an eye, as well, and I think it turned out quite decently.

Pack number two: Three staves, eleven swords/daggers/whatever, and two projectiles!

[​IMG]

My musings: The two projectile things are neat. I use Symphony, so I'm using them as a firebolt/arcane bolt respectively as projectiles in battle. It was an idea I had, I tried it, it worked out well, so I'll probably do more projectile things in the future. I love how the first icon turned out, that water staff sort of thing. The second last icon is my first attempt at a katana, which turned out...alright, I guess. I'm not super thrilled with it.

EDIT: I put together a quick and dirty video of some of my skill animations, including the one I used the projectile in. Watch it here.

Pack number three: This one's special! On the top row, we have nine swords, two bows, two spears, two staves, and a big axe. The bottom row features some evolving weapons! (Except the final one, a single-bladed version of the battleaxe because I had one more space left to fill)

[​IMG]

My musings: The evolving weapons were actually among the first icons I ever did, and I still love them. The third and fourth icons in the top row turned out exactly how I wanted them, and I'm pretty pleased about those. I think the second sword, with the green gems, might be one of my favourite weapons I've done so far. It's pretty neat!

Pack number four: Bones! Only eight icons this time, partly because I was stumped as to what else to add, but mostly because I frigging LOVE THESE and couldn't wait to share!

[​IMG]

My musings: To reiterate: I FRIGGING LOVE THESE. Started out just with the idea for the sword on the far left, then I thought hey, a bone-themed pack would be cool. Let's see what I can come up with. The shield, I am only mildly happy with - it's my first shield that I haven't scrapped immediately. Ditto the armor, except that turned out pretty well (in my opinion). And I have the amazing Avery to thank for that - she gave me some seriously useful help with armor/shields in general. Now I just need to get the shields to not suck as much... and yes, I know the axe is just the staff with blades on, but I was looking at the staff and thought, this is crying out to be adapted into a big axe. So I did it!

Sound effects pack number one: Eleven shiny new sound effects for your games, including two bells, three hammer strikes, a lightning crack, three spray-ish sort of effects, and a couple of steam blasts. All in .WAV format. They are a little quieter than the RTP SEs, because they're designed for my project, and I've balanced my audio a bit quieter than 100% RTP volume. I can crank up the volume on 'em a little bit if needed.

You can download it here.

Sprites and GCH items

The stuff in this section was created using GCH (unless otherwise stated). All the standard terms of that program apply. When it comes to "from scratch" .gchli files, you don't have to credit me (that'll get really annoying really fast, having to reference where you got which generator part if you use it...bleh). Of course I'm happy if you do!

Blindfold: My first attempt at editing an RTP item within GCH. Download

Example: [​IMG]

Half Mask: My first attempt at creating a sprite item from scratch. Download

Kimono: Made for Tsu. My first clothing item! Feel free to edit this as you like. The sleeves are edited from an RTP clothing item. Download

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow these look flippin' fantastic! It always nice to see some new icons for the Maker. Do you take suggestions?

3. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sure. Glad you like them! I'm always up for creating new stuff. What did you have in mind?

4. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just some shields and armour pieces. Luckily there are a LOT of weapon choices to choose from on the internet, but there's very little dealing with defensive choices. I think you might be able to fill a gap that the RM community needs.

5. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Mmm, honestly I've been focusing primarily on weapons (since the icons are actually used as in-battle and in-world weapons, visually, in my project, and shields/armour doesn't change with equipment). So I'm a LOT better at weapons than at

armour... and the one shield I've tried was atrocious (it's in my Folder of Shame, where all my really crap attempts at stuff get saved, so I can go back and laugh at myself).

That said, I'm happy to try! Haha

6. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Update! Pack 2 has been added to the first post!

7. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Update! Added the first free sound effect pack to the first post!

Ms Littlefish likes this.
  8. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Excellent! Sound effects can be pretty hard to come by. Thank you. ^_^

9. magnaangemon01

magnaangemon01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wouldn't mind some of the weapons. How do I go about adding them?

10. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Ms Littlefish: My pleasure. I'll do more at some point. It was just some quick ones I threw together. I'm working on something bigger for you folks...

@magnaangemon01: Save the icon images. Open up your game's iconset image, in YourGame/Graphics/System/Iconset.png, in your favourite image editor. I recommend GIMP, it's free and awesome. I suggest configuring your grid (in GIMP, go to Image then Configure Grid) to 24x24. Then enable  View > Show Grid and View > Snap to Grid. Now, change the canvas size, increasing the height by 48 pixels (if you want to add both, its 24 per extra row). Import the icon images as layers. Then just drag them down to the new space you've added, make sure they're placed properly, export the image, and voila.

Back up your original iconset.png just in case though!

11. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Mini-Update: Added a link to a video showing, among other things, the projectile icon in action.

12. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

just listened to these.

My responses:

A nice little pack, eleven special effect sounds. Bell is about what you'd expect. =] I wish lightning was dragged out a bit more - it goes by so fast!  Hammer (3 options) has a nice metallic quality. Spray is fun Spray 3 makes me want to add a feature in my game so I can soak someone! =] Both steam sounds are believable and useful. =]

Thanks for the pack! Looking forward to more.

13. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My pleasure! Thanks for having a listen, I'm glad you like them! 

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  14. cpf238

cpf238 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Nice sounds! There aren't a huge amount of people who make new sounds on the forum, so it's always good to have more.

15. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Glad you like 'em. It was really just a "hey, I could use some new sounds, let's make 'em and share 'em" sort of thing. I'm planning on releasing some actual tracks here at some point soon, too.

16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I like them too, but I think that many people would find them a bit too quiet for the audio balance that they have.

17. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah - I'll probably go back and just crank 'em up a few more dB next week when I've got a bit more time. I just prefer my audio a little quieter (at lot of feedback from my game's testers also said the sound in general was too bloody loud).

Another icon update is coming soon! 

18. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Update: The third icon set has been added to the top post. Now featuring evolving weapons!

19. Miss Nile

Miss Nile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Egyptian Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your icons are quite nice. ^^ I like your idea of evolving weapons too. XD I haven't listened to the sound effects yet but I will sometime soon. Looking forward to more from you. :)

20. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thank you, Miss Nile! Honestly, I keep trying to do armor, and it just doesn't turn out at all well. Same with shields. I'm not quite sure why. I'll get there eventually, I suppose. :p