Disable Player Input - easy/graceful way?

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've got a 'cutscene' with a lot of evented character movement with dialog interspersed here and there. If the player touches the keyboard though and moves the character at the wrong time, the whole thing goes to pot pretty quickly.

I can see a way to do it (I think) by overriding move_by_input in Game_Player (and there's another place that looks like I could 'intercept' commands), but I'm wondering if there isn't a switch or command already in place that simply 'locks out' the keyboard/controls until you turn them back on.

While the move event is running all is good (although disabling <esc>/<ins> wouldn't be bad there to prevent formation changes or other such problems) - it's the little gaps of time between those events and the dialog where the problem can arise.

I can think of loads of other places it would be helpful, so I'm hoping there's already a graceful way to handle this that someone knows and can tell me.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm assuming you are using a parallel process to run said cut-scene, change the trigger to 'auto-run' and the player will not be able to perform normal actions until after said event is over, even during wait periods.

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very Nice.

Thanks  BD

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
just one more tip:

A cutscene should be controlled by a single autorun event, all other events should only be content-less sprites controlled by the autorun event (which will contain all commands for dialogues, texts, movement, etc. what happens during the cutscene.

Spreading the control and content over several events will often cause a lot of bugs in timing and controlling...

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
just one more tip:

A cutscene should be controlled by a single autorun event, all other events should only be content-less sprites controlled by the autorun event (which will contain all commands for dialogues, texts, movement, etc. what happens during the cutscene.

Spreading the control and content over several events will often cause a lot of bugs in timing and controlling...
That part I figured out pretty early, even with the parallel processes :)   I've got one part I have to put in a short frame delay for everyone to 'catch up', and then move on, but other than that it runs pretty smoothly. The only hitch was those brief moments when the player could control the character.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
There are moments where you have events that activate on touch and player movement is still inputtable, I mean technically you can make it an autorun and such on the next page. But just in case you don't want that hassle, I recommend this script.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Seems like people have stopped looking both ways before crossing the road nowadays. Blindly walking out into a into a road only ends in disaster.
Just finished planning out the skeleton of the main quest line of my new game. I'm so excited for it!
Integrating Jason Perry's japan tile set while listening to Murray Atkinson's Heaven and Earth background music.
I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol
"What do you think the best place to visit on this cold days?" "Hell..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keyboardjockey