Disabled Choice Conditions

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

RPG Maker does not come with a way to disable individual choices from a list of choices. For example, if the player shouldn’t be allowed to select a particular option, but you still want to show it, there’s basically no way to do it.

This plugin provides an easy way for you to disable each choice based on your own custom conditions using tools that you are already familiar with!

More information and downloads available at HimeWorks

Last edited by a moderator:

grem333

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes! Thank you! I was waiting for this one! Now I can make my make-shift common event-called Quest Book better, so it only shows quests that are activated :D

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why put it in comments instead of a Plugin Command?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Why put it in comments instead of a Plugin Command?
You're right, it would make things much easier...

I will add support for plugin command option as well and keep the comments for historical purposes.

For future plugins I will use plugin command instead of comment where appropriate.

FeralGames

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Is it possible to color code the choices? Say if using MessageCore?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Have you tried using color codes in the choices themselves?

grem333

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is there a way to not show the choices when they are disabled? For my Quest Log, I only want the choice options to be seen/available when the Quest is activated (so I basically want the choices to be not visible when disabled).

Thanks!

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is there a way to not show the choices when they are disabled? For my Quest Log, I only want the choice options to be seen/available when the Quest is activated (so I basically want the choices to be not visible when disabled).

Thanks!
That can already be done through events, so I doubt Hime will include that feature. Just have a conditional branch that shows a different set of choices based on a switch/variable when your quest is activated.

And thank you VERY much for this Hime. I had requested this plugin specifically on your website and you pulled through. :)

grem333

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That can already be done through events, so I doubt Hime will include that feature. Just have a conditional branch that shows a different set of choices based on a switch/variable when your quest is activated.

And thank you VERY much for this Hime. I had requested this plugin specifically on your website and you pulled through. :)
Yes, but the problem is I have a TON of quests that are not all activated at once, so it would take many, many hours of eventing and many conditional branches to do for every single potential combination. :p

RoooodWorks

Devil King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
OMG Thanks for this, been waitin for this for since MV came out :p loved it in VXACE

JJ Sonick

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Excellent stuff - along with Large Choices this really enhances dialogue creation.

Yes, but the problem is I have a TON of quests that are not all activated at once, so it would take many, many hours of eventing and many conditional branches to do for every single potential combination. :p
Yeah, I would find the option to conditionally hide choices useful as well. Hime earlier mentioned considering a 'Hide Choice' option when thinking about conditional choices in the Large Choices plugin thread, so maybe that's on its way?

Also, Hime, I assume this works fine with Large Choices if you just put the proper disable conditions before each 'Show Choices' command in a combined set of large choices?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

Thanks!

Yes, I understand the problem of wanting to hide individual choices. The only way that can be done by default is to either create every possible combination of choices, or generate choices using script calls and then using labels and go to branches. Both of which are pretty ugly solutions if you need to do it many times.

I will be writing a separate plugin that will allow you to hide individual choices as well.

OMG Thanks for this, been waitin for this for since MV came out :p loved it in VXACE
This one took awhile because I was debating whether to port Choice Options as one whole plugin, or as separate plugins.

Also, coming up with a scenario for the video was the main hurdle.

Also, Hime, I assume this works fine with Large Choices if you just put the proper disable conditions before each 'Show Choices' command in a combined set of large choices?

Yes. I've updated the page with instructions on how to disable choices with large conditions.

Here is an illustration:

Portkey89

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi, okay, so first of all, this is amazing.  Love, love, love this.  Quick question, though.  RPG Maker doesn't have conditions anymore for things like the party NOT having items when setting up a conditional branch (it only has a check for having items).  I could use an else command if I were just eventing, but what I'm trying to do is say IF the party does NOT have item X, disable option Y from the available choices via this plugin.  I suspect that currently, as the comments don't have any way of being based on on the else branch, that I'd have to use a script command to check for the item.  If this is true, any chance you'd veer off topic of the plugin and guide me to how you have the system check for an item?  Because then I could use the script command alternative for disabling options.  (Trying to learn to code, but I'm a bit of a no0b).  Thanks in advance!

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hi, okay, so first of all, this is amazing.  Love, love, love this.  Quick question, though.  RPG Maker doesn't have conditions anymore for things like the party NOT having items when setting up a conditional branch (it only has a check for having items).  I could use an else command if I were just eventing, but what I'm trying to do is say IF the party does NOT have item X, disable option Y from the available choices via this plugin.  I suspect that currently, as the comments don't have any way of being based on on the else branch, that I'd have to use a script command to check for the item.  If this is true, any chance you'd veer off topic of the plugin and guide me to how you have the system check for an item?  Because then I could use the script command alternative for disabling options.  (Trying to learn to code, but I'm a bit of a no0b).  Thanks in advance!
Let me start by answering your question directly: the following formula will return true if the party has item 4

$gameParty.hasItem($dataItems[4])Now, if you want to negate it, you can simply put a ! in front.

Code:
!$gameParty.hasItem($dataItems[4])
Which will return true if the party does NOT have item 4.Now, what I could do instead is to provide you with a way to "enable" choices.

That is, if you say something like

enable_choice 2This would tell the engine to only enable the second choice if the condition is met.You should be able to use the normal "party has item" condition when this is implemented.

This solution also allows you to choose whether you want to enable or disable options explicitly, giving you full control over the "negated" problem.

I have discussed my solution in this dev log: https://www.*******.com/posts/dev-log-choices-3698791

Portkey89

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You are an absolute (and brilliantly thorough) gem!  I'll use the script until such time as you choose to include an enable feature.  I can't thank you enough!  Your time is much appreciated.   :)

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Actually, I'm not sure why I'm making this so complicated.

This should've been the solution from the beginning

The script calls are still justified because they allow for compact expressions, but if you're already going with conditional branches, just do it that way and avoid all this comment/plugin + conditional branch stuff.

Good thing I decided to separate all the choice-related features into their own plugins.

I'm going to update the plugin with this new solution. The existing methods are inefficient.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have good news and bad news.

I have implemented changes so that you can use if/else conditional branching, but in the process I have changed the way the plugin command is specified.

Please read this post for more information and how it may affect you.

The changes were deemed necessary in order to improve efficiency, compatibility, and most importantly, provide you with more flexibility when it comes to disabling choices in your eventing.

Portkey89

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.  THANK YOU!

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a really neat script in combination with more choice options. <3

But I got some little questions:
1. Can you make choice disapear completly out of the list until you make them appear again? (Because I want to avoid spoilers here.)
2. Is it possible to use switches for changing visibility on choices?

Else it's really useful and waited for a script like this to be made for MV, great work. :3 (\s/)

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is a really neat script in combination with more choice options. <3

But I got some little questions:

1. Can you make choice disapear completly out of the list until you make them appear again? (Because I want to avoid spoilers here.)

2. Is it possible to use switches for changing visibility on choices?

Else it's really useful and waited for a script like this to be made for MV, great work. :3 (\s/)
For hiding choices from view, use the Hidden Choice Conditions plugin which is the same idea except instead of disabling them you hide them.

Make sure the hidden choice plugin is placed below other choice plugins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event
The Ace attorney series are so great games... But at the same time such a travesty.
Made a video showcasing a plugin (by Lanza) that adds 5 more weather effects to our MV games. :LZYsmile: Namely:
Ash-dust,
bloodrain,
Cherry Blossom Petals,
Hail,
and bubbles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takufy