RMMV DISHARMONIA (DEMO AVAILABLE!)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by BadLittleSeed, Jan 12, 2019.

1. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Combat - I've always loved Secret of Mana's combat system. Yet, for DISHARMONIA I found myself deciding on Phantasy Star's (the first four games) front-facing enemies/bosses with the characters' backs turned to the player. During their turn, characters will perform ranged/melee attacks or spell animations, accompanied by sound and visual effect. Enemies will follow the same process.

Enemy Fusion - Some (not all) enemies will have the ability to merge themselves into a larger, stronger foe. Take them out separately to be safe, or live dangerously and kill the fused result for a chance at even better loot and materials!

Combination Attacks - Why should enemies have all the fun? While characters can't fuse together, they will be able to combine their spells or attacks and deal even more damage during the fight. Whether or not a combination is possible will depend on the characters themselves (some people just can't get along), and their aspect (Light/Dark/Neutral/Wild).

Home/Headquarters - A place for characters who aren't currently active in the party roster, it would certainly be wise to check here now and again to see how they're doing. Your companions could have inquiries, new information, or worthwhile quests for you to undertake (depending on your choices, some might even go missing)!

Armor/Weapon/Item Vendors - Of course you'll be able to purchase very necessary armor, weapons and sundries throughout your journey. However, there will be highly-skilled crafters who can offer even better wares - if you provide them with the required materials and the right amount of Lys (the currency of Balanz).

Progressive, Decision-driven Story - Some areas and characters won't become available until certain conditions are met. Talk to everyone, search everywhere, and remember - you can't change your decisions once they've been made! Locations can be destroyed or closed off, while characters could refuse to join you, end up becoming enemies, or even lose their lives. Save often, listen closely and consider your options carefully!

High Replay Value - This is something I'd really like to make sure DISHARMONIA has, given that the player's choices can permanently affect the main character, other characters and locations. A bad decision can still have rewards, while a good decision can still have consequences. A second play-through shouldn't be the same as your first - you could make the same choices intentionally, but who knows what you'd be missing?

[​IMG]
    Main Character -
    [​IMG]
    Rhyn (Mercenary): A sword-for-hire. This young man introduces himself as 'no-one of consequence' (or so he's believed for the last few years), living in a small, quiet town called Bhoske. Trusting no-one but a loyal Kherbu (a wild wolf-creature) named Haru, nothing but his blade and the pay he earns from various jobs, Rhyn's demeanor is often curt to the point of seeming cold and unfriendly.

One morning our sellsword heads to Morell's Inn as usual, checking the notice board for decent-paying work. However, the job he ends up taking comes from a unlikely individual, setting Rhyn on a journey that could end up changing Balanz forever.

Secondary Characters - (Backstories are still WIP but have some portraits!)
    [​IMG]
    Panic (Assassin):

[​IMG]
    Valya, Ross (Cleric):

[​IMG]
    Ozo, Marle (Brawler):

[​IMG]
    Abbi, Beaumont (Duelist):

[​IMG]
    Jerek, Syone (Marksman):

[​IMG]
    Nyssa, Devon (Magus):

[​IMG]
    Revered tomes and ancient murals tell of the Silence; there was neither sun nor moon, land nor sky. No-one can truly say when Lord Lumen decided to cast a solemn gaze upon the expanse of sheer nothingness, or what prompted him to spread six majestic, feathered wings wide. Furling them inward like a father's embrace, Lumen gathered the very Silence itself and gave it form.

Drawn by curiosity to his actions, the dark Lady Obscura peered over Lumen's shoulder and with a smile, whispered her desire to be part of this event as well. With her help, light and shadow came into existence, soon followed by earth and azure: Mountains, plains, valleys, endless skies above and deep, darkened places below. Lumen's perfect jewel, the Sun, brought the warmth and illumination of daylight, allowing plants of all kinds to thrive and grow. When the Sun's luster rested, Obscura's own pale Moon gleamed in evening's shroud.

Time became a tangible thing; during the days and nights that followed, new life began appearing on the world named Balanz - beasts and beings formed of light, shadow, and both. Names were given: Lumeni, Obscure, Inacta. These races in turn named the many different creatures who shared and shaped reality. Eager for variety in all things, Lady Obscura later encouraged Lumen to help her create two more races - the Humans and Wyldekyn.

Although their creation and the lives upon it prospered, some say the dark Lady began to grow restless. Her soft sighs unknowingly led to the stirring of a presence beyond; something unnatural, existing solely to wreak havoc. The passage of time unravels differently for deities and mortals, thus, what transpired for Obscura over the course of several days did not occur upon Balanz until many centuries later.

It started with the appearance of strange, dangerous creatures that had not been formed by either hand of light or shadow. Soon, some of these same hazards began to conjoin, to merge, creating even more of a threat. Across the still-thriving expanse of Balanz, its inhabitants are beginning to notice other signs of disturbance, and so the uncertain whispers... the fearful rumors take flight.

What is happening? Have the Lord and Lady become displeased? And what, if anything, can be done to stop this growing disharmony?

[​IMG]
    WARNING (15+) There will be mature themes in this game: Use of alcohol, smoking, violence by way of character injury/death, mild language (including words created specifically for the non-human races) and mild/suggested adult situations. (15+) WARNING

DISHARMONIA is a fantasy-based RPG that takes place on the thriving planet known as Balanz, its seamless cycle of life and death maintained between two eternal forces: Light (Lumen) and Dark (Obscura). Several races inhabit this world, each with their own strengths and weaknesses: Humans, Wyldekyn, Lumeni, Obscure and Inacta, the last three races being the oldest and more reclusive. Humans and Wyldekyn easily account for over half the world's population, given a shorter period of gestation and ability to conceive more than one or two children in a lifetime.

Humans -
    [​IMG]
    Wyldekyn (image will be reposted)
    Lumeni (image will be reposted)
    Inacta (image will be reposted)
    Obscure (image will be reposted)
    [​IMG]
    (Done in Photoshop with @hiddenone 's awesome hood!)

You play as Rhyn, a human Mercenary living in the peaceful town of Bhoske. Along with his unusual companion - a wolf-beast named Haru - the young man has maintained a relatively hassle-free lifestyle. Until one day, a cloaked, hooded stranger comes running into town, calling out desperately for help. From this point on, Rhyn's livelihood becomes much more complicated; full of both danger and discovery as Mercenary and companion are swiftly caught up in a world-spanning journey.

A journey that will ultimately decide the fate of Balanz and all lives upon it.

[​IMG]
    Dialogue Screen (mock-up) -
    [​IMG]
    1) Character name
    2) Character bust
    3) Dialogue box

Character Status/Equipment Screen (mock-up) -
    [​IMG]
    1) Character name/race/aspect
    2) Equipment
    3) Character description
    4) HP/MP/LVL/stats/Resistances/XP - current/needed
    5) Character bust

Combat Screen -
    [​IMG]
    This is a rough example of how my combat screen will eventually be set up (using half-Kaiser sprites as placeholders) and not what is currently in-game.

Some reminders before playing my demo!
    The controls are basic for both keyboard and controller (no fancy settings).
    There will be a proper Combat/Gameplay tutorial in the finished Chapter.
    The World Map and Quest Journal are just pretty icons in your inventory (for now).
    Talk to everyone, and then talk to them again! I'm not hiding stuff in barrels or boxes (for now), just those nice wooden and steel chests.

:thumbsup-left:B)DEMO DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE! (WINDOWS) 8/23/2019B):thumbsup-right:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BTpEiZEu2zHKXSps1njnT9YZMSTaRKQE

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks interesting so far but without a plot its hard to judge.
    3 things though :
    1) I understand why some games let the player choose male/female (amongst others) however make sure this does not het in the way of storytelling. Personally i prefer a set protagonist versus a bland 'tabula resa' with no personality as a resultaten
    2) In the dialogue screen i would move the characters name down beneath the Bust/above the dialogue box for a cleaner more legiable look
    3) I personally do not like the name neutra.,. I half expect a race of castrates... I know what youre going fo there but it doesnt sound right. To me anyways .

An thats my two cents.,. For now :D

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  3. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Finnuval - Thanks, I fixed the dialogue screen and gave the Neutra a better name, I hope. I'll try and get the plot up as soon as I can.

Maybe I could put up a poll and see what the consensus is on a set/optional gender for the protagonist? :unsure:

Finnuval likes this.
  4. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can do that. However at the same time you should make the game you want there is no pleasing everybody ;)
    My point is simply to be careful the protagonist doesn't become bland as a result of this feature. eapecially in dialogue etc. (So two different dialogue dependend in male/femal and not the genderneutral version a lot of games fall prey to. Know what i mean?

Marquise* and BadLittleSeed like this.
  5. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying. I'll be sure to keep that in mind while writing.

Finnuval likes this.
  6. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good :D
    Just remember there is no point in giving the player a choice if there isnt one . It'll only hurt the storytelling

Marquise* and BadLittleSeed like this.
  7. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Understood! B):thumbsup-right:

Made some map progress! Here's the first town, our starting area of nice, quiet Bhoske. This took me a little while, finding my way around the outdoor tiles and such (I might tweak some things when I upload nicer tiles). But, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  8. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks pretty good. Personally i would give the Inn/store two Doors but that's Just me :)

9. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Go with it. You'll figure out the plot eventually.

10. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Inacta sounds much better ;)

11. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've done some more maps of the starting area - it's actually helping me get the plot/storyline in order, along with some helpful chat from @Finnuval :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Please feel free to give any comments/suggestions!

Marquise* and Finnuval like this.
  12. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can totally relate to that xD

The overworld map : not sure if it needs the sandy line across the grasslands, might be better without it.
    map 2 : could use some more foliage/debris/ricks along the bank
    map 3 : like the layout but missing some shadow (especially along/beneath the walkways
    map 4 : rather large, to large honestly, imo

13. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cabris: I'll see if I can use a different grass tile - the one I liked had that sand.
    Sotto: It wouldn't be too cluttered if I added more?
    Scar: Automatic shadows are annoying, is there a plugin to add them manually?
    Inn: Heh, don't tell Morell that, it's his pride and joy.:p

Finnuval likes this.
  14. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like it! I can already hear the music in my mind looking at the pictures.

Finnuval and BadLittleSeed like this.
  15. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Any particular genre, @samkfj ?:)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  16. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It would be nice to add @(and then my name) so I know you responded and asked a question lol

Cabris : Well, if you like it that's good enough
    Sotto : no if done right it wouldn;t and if you edited some tiles it would be even better
    Scar : You have a little shadow tool next to the tile-size selection for manual placement & removing of shadow
    Inn : who's Morell??? Still stand by what I say sorry

17. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Morell is the man standing behind the Inn's counter.:p

I'll see if I can trim the size down a bit, though. Now to find that shadow tool and work on a pond.

18. artoni

artoni Writer, Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So on the inn, the way I'm reading this is that you go in through the bottom...and can only go to the rooms with the big beds through the doorway in the middle, is that right? Which means you couldn't rent out JUST the big bed?

BadLittleSeed and Finnuval like this.
  19. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @artoni - I made the inn a little smaller, and there will be doors properly placed in the rooms. If I can't get side-facing doors for the lower rooms I'll just have to rework that side completely.:dizzy: All of the beds are accessible atm.

20. artoni

artoni Writer, Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, for what it's worth, you don't necessarily need to show the doors. Worst case scenario, put an event there that says 'You haven't rented a room', as to imply that there IS a door there but you can't get through. :)

This is my own starting inn (FSM Town of Beginnings);

upload_2019-1-17_8-21-31.png

And it doesn't even show the rooms at all; that event in the lower right says something to the same effect re; there's rooms there but why are you going there you haven't rented a room how dare.