RMMV DISHARMONIA

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by BadLittleSeed, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:19 PM.

1. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

SECTION A: GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
    Combat - I would very much like to use an active battle system, but I've found myself coming back to front-facing enemies/bosses with the characters' backs turned to the player. During their turn, characters will perform ranged/melee attacks or spell animations, accompanied by sound and visual effect. Enemies and bosses will follow the same process.

Enemy Fusion - Some (not all) enemies will have the ability to merge themselves into a larger, stronger foe. Take them out separately to be safe, or live dangerously and kill the fused result for a chance at even better loot and materials!

Combinations - Why should enemies have all the fun? While characters can't fuse together, they will be able to combine their spells or attacks and deal even more damage during the fight. Whether or not a combination is possible will depend on the characters themselves (some people just don't get along), and their aspect (Light/Dark/Neutral/Wild).

Home/Headquarters - A place for characters who aren't currently active in the party roster, it would certainly be wise to check here now and again to see how they're doing. Your companions could have inquiries, new information, or worthwhile quests for you to undertake (depending on your choices, some might even go missing)!

Armor/Weapon/Item Merchants - Of course you'll be able to purchase necessary armor, weapons and sundries throughout your journey. However, there will be highly-skilled merchants who can craft even better wares - if you provide them with the required materials and the right amount of Lys (the currency of Balanz).

Progressive, Decision-driven Story - Some areas and characters won't be available until certain conditions are met. Talk to everyone, search everywhere, and remember - you can't change your decisions once they've been made. Locations can be destroyed or closed off, while characters can refuse to join you, end up becoming enemies, or even lose their lives. Save often, listen closely and consider your options carefully!

High Replay Value - This is something I'd really like to make sure DISHARMONIA has, given that the player's choices can permanently affect the main character, other characters and locations. A bad decision can still have rewards, and a good decision can still have consequences. A second play-through won't be the same as your first - well, you could make the same choices intentionally, but who knows what you'd be missing?

SECTION B: CHARACTERS
    Main Character - (M/F) Rhyn/Rhysa. At the beginning of the game, you'll be able to choose either a male or female protagonist. I'll use the male version for this description, although it applies to both. Rhyn introduces himself as 'no-one of consequence' (or so he's believed for the last few years), living by himself in a small, quiet town called Bhoske.

One morning our young sellsword heads to Morell's Inn as usual, checking the notice board for decent-paying work, although the job he ends up taking leads to something (and someone) completely unexpected.
    Secondary Characters - (WIP)

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT
    (WIP - I'm sorry! I really hate writing summaries - I want to make sure I cover all the important parts. I'll try to get this done soon.)

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT
    WARNING: There will be mature themes in this game: Alcohol, violence by way of character injury/death, suggested language (using words created specifically for some of the races).

DISHARMONIA is a fantasy-based RPG that takes place on the world known as Balanz. This prospering world's never-ending cycle of life and death is maintained between two tireless forces: Light (Lumen) and Dark (Obscura). Several races inhabit Balanz, each with their own strengths and weaknesses: Humans, Wyldekyn, Lumeni, Obscure and Inacta, the last three races being the oldest and more secluded.

Humans and Wyldekyn easily make up over half the world's population, given their shorter reproductive cycles and a better chance to conceive more than one child at a time.
    (Will continue adding to this!)

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
    Humans (Rhyn/Rhysa) -
    [​IMG]

Wyldekyn -
    [​IMG]

Lumeni
    -
    [​IMG]

Obscure - (WIP)

Inacta - (WIP)

Dialogue Screen (mock up) -
    [​IMG]
    1) Character name
    2) Character bust
    3) Dialogue

Character Status/Equipment Screen (mock up) -
    [​IMG]
    1) Character name/race/aspect
    2) Equipment
    3) Character summary
    4) HP/MP/LVL/stats/Resistances/XP - current/needed
    5) Character bust

Combat Screen (mock up) -
    [​IMG]
    1/2/3) Enemy name
    4/6) Small or medium enemy
    5) Large/fused enemy or Boss
    7/8/9/10) Character combat busts
    11/12/13/14) Character info/commands

(Will add other screen mock ups as I finish them)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 12:29 AM
  2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks interesting so far but without a plot its hard to judge.
    3 things though :
    1) I understand why some games let the player choose male/female (amongst others) however make sure this does not het in the way of storytelling. Personally i prefer a set protagonist versus a bland 'tabula resa' with no personality as a resultaten
    2) In the dialogue screen i would move the characters name down beneath the Bust/above the dialogue box for a cleaner more legiable look
    3) I personally do not like the name neutra.,. I half expect a race of castrates... I know what youre going fo there but it doesnt sound right. To me anyways .

An thats my two cents.,. For now :D

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  3. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Finnuval - Thanks, I fixed the dialogue screen and gave the Neutra a better name, I hope. I'll try and get the plot up as soon as I can.

Maybe I could put up a poll and see what the consensus is on a set/optional gender for the protagonist? :unsure:

Finnuval likes this.
  4. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can do that. However at the same time you should make the game you want there is no pleasing everybody ;)
    My point is simply to be careful the protagonist doesn't become bland as a result of this feature. eapecially in dialogue etc. (So two different dialogue dependend in male/femal and not the genderneutral version a lot of games fall prey to. Know what i mean?

Marquise* and BadLittleSeed like this.
  5. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying. I'll be sure to keep that in mind while writing.

Finnuval likes this.
  6. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good :D
    Just remember there is no point in giving the player a choice if there isnt one . It'll only hurt the storytelling

Marquise* and BadLittleSeed like this.
  7. BadLittleSeed

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Understood! B):thumbsup-right:

Made some map progress! Here's the first town, our starting area of nice, quiet Bhoske. This took me a little while, finding my way around the outdoor tiles and such (I might tweak some things when I upload nicer tiles). But, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
    [​IMG]

The Stranger, Marquise* and Finnuval like this.
  8. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks pretty good. Personally i would give the Inn/store two Doors but that's Just me :)

9. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Go with it. You'll figure out the plot eventually.

10. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Inacta sounds much better ;)