Displaying Actor "Battler" during battle instead of Sprites

rco55

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish/English
Primarily Uses
Hey guys,

This is actually my first post on these forums, and I hope there's many more to come, haha. It's kind of a downer that it's about something i can't seem to figure out, though!

I've been looking so hard to find a script for ACE that will allow me to display a battler (or picture) of my character, much like with the enemies, instead of the sprite on a side view battle system. Exactly like this, really:

If I could actually make it a spritesheet so i can add movement to the image it would be awesome, but if it's just the static battler it'd be great too. I tried using Jet's script that uses holder's sprites, but there's a size restriction to them so my images would have to be tiny (unless there's a way to mess with the size limit of the spritesheet that I don't know of). I also tried to use CP's battle system which allows for battlers to show, but the side view battle system on that one uses sprites as well.

Any ideas would be really appreciated, thank you so much guys!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]RGSS3 Script Requests[/move]

rco55

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish/English
Primarily Uses
[move]RGSS3 Script Requests[/move]
Oh, I don't know why I didn't look for a specific area for requests before posting, sorry about that and thanks!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@rco55
to my knowledge, there is no size limitation to any sprite or battler - and that includes holder's battlerformat.
You need to follow the structure (as defined in how many cells per sprite/battler), and all cells of the sheet need to have the same size, but when you do then there should be no problem.

Usually most people use Battle Engine Symphonie with the Holder-Add-on. I know that PVGames used that for the High-Fantasy-Sprites, and those are larger than normal as well.

If you still have the image where you failed to make a larger battler, attach it here and we can check why it didn't work.

rco55

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish/English
Primarily Uses
@rco55
to my knowledge, there is no size limitation to any sprite or battler - and that includes holder's battlerformat.
You need to follow the structure (as defined in how many cells per sprite/battler), and all cells of the sheet need to have the same size, but when you do then there should be no problem.

Usually most people use Battle Engine Symphonie with the Holder-Add-on. I know that PVGames used that for the High-Fantasy-Sprites, and those are larger than normal as well.

If you still have the image where you failed to make a larger battler, attach it here and we can check why it didn't work.
Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated!

Alright. I'm still on the stage of the game while i figure out everything before i start investing time in creating the actual images, so i've been using the default RTP files to figure out how to work with the sizes, etc. That said, i've made a mock up of the battle scene as i'd hope it'd look in the end:

And this is the battler size i'd use:

But how could i go at tweaking the script to fit a spritesheet of that size on the screen?

Thanks again, i've been hitting my head against a wall trying to figure it out :eswt:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But how could i go at tweaking the script to fit a spritesheet of that size on the screen?
You don't tweak the scripts - you just use the battler.

As long as the structure of the battler is correct, you never need to tweak anything for size.
That goes for all battlers and all sprites in all makers and all scripts/plugins that I know of.

Check the following shop page for examples:
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/medieval-town-country
I think it is obvious that the sprites are larger than regular, OK?
There is absolutely no need to tweak any script for the maker to use those larger sprites.

All that is required is to have a spritesheet with the correct number of cells, the size of the cells does not matter at all.
Your example battler has a size of 142x185 pixels, If I remember correctly, Holders format has 11 rows and four columns for the battler.
So simply make a battlersheet of (4x142) x (11x185) pixels and place 11x4 times the battler in there. Of course, to get the animations you need to place different variants of the battler into each cell, but for testing use the same one for every cell.
The resultung holdersheet should have a size of 568x2035 pixels, and all scripts should be able to use it without any tweaking.

The only change required in the scripts is for the position of the battler (so that the different actor battlers don't look squished together), and that is usually marked as a point to edit.

rco55

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish/English
Primarily Uses

As long as the structure of the battler is correct, you never need to tweak anything for size.
That goes for all battlers and all sprites in all makers and all scripts/plugins that I know of.

There is absolutely no need to tweak any script for the maker to use those larger sprites.

All that is required is to have a spritesheet with the correct number of cells, the size of the cells does not matter at all.
Your example battler has a size of 142x185 pixels, If I remember correctly, Holders format has 11 rows and four columns for the battler.
So simply make a battlersheet of (4x142) x (11x185) pixels and place 11x4 times the battler in there. Of course, to get the animations you need to place different variants of the battler into each cell, but for testing use the same one for every cell.
The resultung holdersheet should have a size of 568x2035 pixels, and all scripts should be able to use it without any tweaking.

The only change required in the scripts is for the position of the battler (so that the different actor battlers don't look squished together), and that is usually marked as a point to edit.

Oh god, that was easier than I thought! thank you so much!

In hindsight, I think I just assumed i was limited to the small sizes of Holder's battlers due to the suggestion Jet made about them being used for it and having my picture cropped when i tried to work it inside the small space of the Holder spritesheet.:eswt:

Thanks for your help, Andar!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

//peeks out from behind some bushes
Psst! Psst!
//waits for everyone to gather...
I saw it! I saw it!
//looks around conspiratorially then leans over and whispers
Galv updated a plugin!
:rheh:
No sudden moves, we don't want to scare him off. :kaoback:
Quick someone setup a Patron trap while we distract him. :LZSexcite:
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Urotsuki