RMMZ Displaying faces in a separate window!

Sophitia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Many games, such as the Shining series, Suikoden, Golden Sun, PMD, etc., draw their face portraits in a separate window, like so:

ss_64045da6e00c589fb7d82a2387432b253451f0a5.1920x1080.jpg

A plugin that would allow for this automatically, drawing a window border around the set face art, would benefit a lot of people I think (and myself hehe). Especially if there was location control and it didn't trigger VisuStella's wordwrap indentation (after all, if the portrait is not in the message window, there's no need to indent the text). With x and y control you could even do things like have a sneaky character's portrait peek in from just off-screen while they're talking!

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know whether a plugin exists for this already, but here's a no-plugin idea...

Use an external graphics editor to split the faceset into one image per face, add borders etc as you like. Then put those separate faces into your project's img/pictures subfolder and use the Show/Move/Erase Picture commands to display them as desired. :kaothx:

Sophitia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know whether a plugin exists for this already, but here's a no-plugin idea...

Use an external graphics editor to split the faceset into one image per face, add borders etc as you like. Then put those separate faces into your project's img/pictures subfolder and use the Show/Move/Erase Picture commands to display them as desired. :kaothx:
That's absolutely something I've considered but seems a bit cumbersome in terms of the amount of extra commands it'd introduce, the lack of compatibility with animated faceset plugins, and possible frame/window changes.

But of course, one must also work with the tools at hand so it might end up going that way! :kaopride:

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's absolutely something I've considered but seems a bit cumbersome in terms of the amount of extra commands it'd introduce, the lack of compatibility with animated faceset plugins, and possible frame/window changes.

But of course, one must also work with the tools at hand so it might end up going that way! :kaopride:
To solve the first issue, you might be able to just make a template Common Event and then call it with the event command.

Or make it a function in a plugin and call it as a script call.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a plugin for this in MV:

Haven't tested it on MZ yet...

Sophitia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There's a plugin for this in MV:

Haven't tested it on MZ yet...
I've now tested it. With a compatibility plugin, it will at least boot and you can move the face image itself, but it no longer draws the window border around it as it does in MV. The indent on the message box also remains, regardless of where you place the image, which is also unfortunate. But it's something!

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
I will make one.
Since I'm working towards making a shining force style game, this is already on my list. I let you know when I've done it ^^

Sophitia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That would be amazing, thank you! I think it's a type of plugin that many people may find useful for their projects!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

To composers out there, what are atleast 4 instruments overall I need to have to make my music not feeling empty? I'm here stuck trying to make my own battle music but it kinda sounds... Not intense?
My computer broke yesterday, so no RPG maker for at least a week until I can get it repaired. :(
Just wanted to share how my game won 1st place in a game jam for itch.io. Everyone else used Unreal, Unity, GMS2, Godot, etc but I used RPG Maker 2003 :guffaw: It just shows that you can create a good game and it doesn't matter which engine you use
Working on cutscenes~

if your game is the first (or ONLY) in a series and still has a colon in its title, you are a bad person and I hate you...... jk.

who could ever hate BETWEEN: TWO SOULS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lobsterknees