FactionZero

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
VNM
I've worked out how to let a player input a name but I have no idea how to then get the rest of the game to recognise this as the PC's name.

One of the first things the PC is going to do is introduce themselves which means the PC's chosen name needs to appear in the message box (preferably in a different colour?) again, I have no idea how to do this.

If anyone has any info or tips and tricks I'd love to hear them. Thank you.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Please give your topics a meaningful title, one which gives an indication of the type of query you have. Many people will use the title to decide if they will open it or not, and that title ('Hi, it's...') makes it look like it's a thread in Introductions. It's quite possible that people will just skip by it in the New Posts/New Threads thinking that's what it is. It also means that if anyone in the future has the same sort of query, they will be unable to find this and (hopefully) the solution.

I strongly recommend that you edit the title to something along the lines of "Displaying player customised name in dialogue"

FactionZero

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
VNM
Please give your topics a meaningful title, one which gives an indication of the type of query you have. Many people will use the title to decide if they will open it or not, and that title ('Hi, it's...') makes it look like it's a thread in Introductions. It's quite possible that people will just skip by it in the New Posts/New Threads thinking that's what it is. It also means that if anyone in the future has the same sort of query, they will be unable to find this and (hopefully) the solution.

I strongly recommend that you edit the title to something along the lines of "Displaying player customised name in dialogue"

Your very right! I wasn't sure what to put as the title but your suggestion is much more explanatory. Thanks for the heads up.

Kentou

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
Hi FactionZero,

you can use Set Object Data and select the character you want to change the name for. Then, if you show a message box with Show Message command you can select that character and you will see the new name appearing.

FactionZero

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
VNM
It works! Thank you for your help.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Remember when people had the ability to have meaningful conversations on platforms like twitter or facebook? Good times... Nowadays is absolute crap.
All aboard the Advent calendar train, riding Avery's coattails as an excuse to make more sprites. ;)
Advent2021-01.gif

Get 'em in my thread in General Resources.
I had a dream where it was Friday, and what happened in the dream was irrelevant, because I woke up and it's not Friday, so I'm sad.
edit: third time's the charm? some graphic text I whipped up that I like for the mid-game intertitle, now with all of the actual letters in the stupid damn words I was trying to spell :uswt2:
kcsmall.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pazzow