RMMZ Disposing Sprites and Managing Memory: Am I doing it right?

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm starting to get very involved with MZ plugin making now and while I have been able to create some nifty functionality, I think I'm lacking on the fundamentals, especially when it comes to sprites and how to handle them. In particular, I am worried that I am missing steps along the way and that, in the long run, I will be tanking the technical performance of people who use my plugins.

And I would really appreciate any guidance on whether my approach will lead to any memory leaks or other significant technical issues.

Here's a simple scene I made last month, mostly just as a learning experience. The scene simply shows a background, allows the player to create a new faerie sprite onscreen with each left-click, and allows the player to remove all faerie sprites with a right-click. It was partially based off of the Game Over scene code, and it uses Scene_Base as its "parent class".

Code:
function Scene_Zero() {
    this.initialize(...arguments);
}

Scene_Zero.prototype = Object.create(Scene_Base.prototype);
Scene_Zero.prototype.constructor = Scene_Zero;

Scene_Zero.prototype.initialize = function() {
    Scene_Base.prototype.initialize.call(this);
};

Scene_Zero.prototype.create = function() {
    Scene_Base.prototype.create.call(this);
    this.playZeroMusic();
    this.createBackground();
    this.sprites = [];
};

Scene_Zero.prototype.update = function() {
    if (this.isActive() && !this.isBusy()) {
        if (Input.isTriggered("ok") || TouchInput.isTriggered()) {
           SoundManager.playUseSkill();
           var faesprite = new Sprite();
           faesprite.bitmap = ImageManager.loadEnemy("Sylph");
           this.addChild(faesprite);
           this.sprites.push(faesprite);
           faesprite._hue = Number(Math.random() * 360);
           faesprite.x = Number(100 + Math.random() * 600);
           faesprite.y = Number(100 + Math.random() * 400);
           faesprite._updateColorFilter();
        } else if (Input.isTriggered("cancel") || TouchInput.isCancelled()) {
            for (fs of this.sprites) {
                // REMOVE CHILD
                this.removeChild(fs);
                // DESTROY SPRITE
                fs.destroy();
            }
            this.sprites = [];
        }
    }
    Scene_Base.prototype.update.call(this);
};

Scene_Zero.prototype.terminate = function() {
    Scene_Base.prototype.terminate.call(this);
    AudioManager.stopAll();
};

Scene_Zero.prototype.playZeroMusic = function() {
    AudioManager.stopBgm();
    AudioManager.stopBgs();
};

Scene_Zero.prototype.createBackground = function() {
    this._backSprite = new Sprite();
    this._backSprite.bitmap = ImageManager.loadTitle1("Mountain");
    this.addChild(this._backSprite);
};
In particular, a few of the things that I'm doing:
  • To create both the background and the faeries, I create a new sprite, then assign them a bitmap property using the ImageManager.loadwhatever method, then add the new sprite to the scene as its Child - is this a wise way to do it?
  • When it's time to delete all the faerie sprites (due to a right-click), I iterate through the array of sprites, remove each as a Child from the scene, and then run the sprite's destroy() method - will this process free up all of the memory that the sprite was consuming, or do I need to do something else?
  • I haven't added an actual way to exit the Scene yet, but assume that the terminate() function will run when the player leaves the scene - will the terminate() function automatically dispose of the this._backSprite sprite and free up its memory, or do I need to explicitly destroy it or do something else? How about existing faerie sprites that weren't cleared via right-click - will those be automatically disposed when the scene is terminated?
Any other advice about how to better create, handle, and destroy sprites would be most welcome, as well.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
  1. Create sprite, set image, add to container...seems OK to me! Note that you can assign a bitmap to a Sprite via its constructor, e.g.
    JavaScript:
    var faesprite = new Sprite(ImageManager.loadEnemy('Sylph'))

2. I'm not certain of exactly what happens internally, but destroying a sprite should tell the app that all the sprite's values are now disposable and will not be accessed again. It should suffice to prevent associated memory leaks. :)

3. Scene_Base.prototype.terminate does nothing. :kaoblush: That said, the SceneManager destroys the previous scene before starting the next one, so I don't think you need to explicitly destroy each sprite~
    JavaScript:
    SceneManager.onBeforeSceneStart = function() {
        if (this._previousScene) {
            this._previousScene.destroy();
            this._previousScene = null;
        }
        if (Graphics.effekseer) {
            Graphics.effekseer.stopAll();
        }
    };
    ...and scenes inherit from Stage, which destroys its children when it gets destroyed:
    JavaScript:
    Stage.prototype.destroy = function() {
        const options = { children: true, texture: true };
        PIXI.Container.prototype.destroy.call(this, options);
    };
    JavaScript:
    /**
     * Removes all internal references and listeners as well as removes children from the display list.
     * Do not use a Container after calling `destroy`.
     * @param {object|boolean} [options] - Options parameter. A boolean will act as if all options
     *  have been set to that value
     * @param {boolean} [options.children=false] - if set to true, all the children will have their destroy
     *  method called as well. 'options' will be passed on to those calls.
     * @param {boolean} [options.texture=false] - Only used for child Sprites if options.children is set to true
     *  Should it destroy the texture of the child sprite
     * @param {boolean} [options.baseTexture=false] - Only used for child Sprites if options.children is set to true
     *  Should it destroy the base texture of the child sprite
     */
    Container.prototype.destroy = function destroy (options)
    {
    	DisplayObject.prototype.destroy.call(this);

this.sortDirty = false;

var destroyChildren = typeof options === 'boolean' ? options : options && options.children;

var oldChildren = this.removeChildren(0, this.children.length);

if (destroyChildren)
    	{
    		for (var i = 0; i < oldChildren.length; ++i)
    		{
    			oldChildren[i].destroy(options);
    		}
    	}
    };

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Those kittens I met the other day all found loving homes. I might miss playing with them, but I'm glad they found owners to care for them. In the meantime, my Orlando trip is likely to happen on the 29th. While I wait for that, I'll be working on Angel of Justice...
I really need to work on my time management skills... I have one plot-based roleplay here, another plot-based roleplay there, I have the fangame to work on, I'm trying to get into Runescape again....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonsense