Distinguishing weapon states from states activated by magic strikes

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by CWells, Sep 26, 2013.

1. CWells

CWells Storyteller/Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So what do you guys think about weapons that come with effects? Do you think it better to create a bunch of states that are only applicable to weapons if you wish to distinguish them from magic strikes? Or is there any other interesting ways to go about this? I've no problem creating a bunch of states for weapons, since there wont be too many anyway but I wanted to ask:

What would you do?

2. kerbonklin

kerbonklin Hiatus King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What i'm doing in my game is having enhancements that add various things to my equips.

Weapons get upto 2 enhancements (status effects on normal attacks, element damage on normal attack, ATK+5%, MAT+5%, HIT+10%, CRIT+5%

Some weapons will have innate effects already though. (of the ones listed above)

And armors give their own different possible enhancements.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
  3. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In a game I had once worked on every weapon type (axe, hammer, sword, spear etc.) applied their own states. For example, a hammer could reduce enemy defense (not 100% chance to do so of course), and a spear had a chance to pierce an enemy and make them bleed. That was one way to increase the effectiveness of a melee user since magic skills applied states at near 100% chances.

So to answer your question I think it would be a good idea to give weapons their own states, it gives the player an extra dynamic to personalizing their characters. They would have to decide which weapon effects they would prefer to go into battle with and that can increase strategy in combat.

4. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've done... well... Lots of things to my weapons.

I started out by having "Physical" and "Magical" properties that could be applied to any number of things.  So, it was possible for me to have a "Magical Sword" with no enhancements at all on it...  However, it would be effective against enemies weak to "Magical" typed attacks.  I then broke this down into "Slashing, Piercing, Blunt" damage types in order to provide effectiveness against other enemies (things like arrows and spears have piercing while swords have slashing and sometimes piercing as well... axes are slashing and hammers are blunt).  After that, I made "default" states for these weapons so I had a reference point.  After that, I made up a list of materials that these weapons could be made from and increased or decreased the 5 properties accordingly (sharper edges did more slashing damage, which made them more effective against enemies weak to slashing damage).

After all that was sorted out, I decided to start loading attributes to the things.  I loaded status effects on some of the weapons and elements on others.  I also loaded some weapons with higher strike chances and critical chances.  I loaded a few weapons with accuracy reducing properties or even double strikes.  I loaded some with Counter Attacks and even hidden defense drops against other types of attacks (like swords are great for blocking spears, so wielding a spear might drop your defense against slashing attacks).

I've actually done quite a lot with my weapons to make them fairly versatile.

5. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

I personally have elemental weapons prominent in my latest game project. Thus I made stuff like "Fire" to have "Fire (Weapons)" etc. It allows me to balance it a bit. I also like to have weapons with chance to inflict a various status effects.

I tend to favor elemental looking attacks even when they don't actually inflict the said element when it comes to damage. It is just visually more appealing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013