Distributing just to friends

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by NakedGrif, Nov 7, 2015.

1. NakedGrif

NakedGrif Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    So Ive been trying to follow the steps for packaging via the manual and also the Intel way, and Im wondering, if all Im doing is sending my friends a link via dropbox, is there a shorter way? I did that with my XV Ace game and Im just trying to see if I go the android route, can I just drop the file in dropbox and link it or do I have to go through all these steps

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When you get it to a stage where you can play it on YOUR android device, I think you should be able to send that to your friends and they will be able to play it on theirs.

You DO need to build the apk though - you can't just send them your project and hope they'll be able to play it on android.

3. NakedGrif

First Language:
    English
    Yea I got to the point where I was making the APK and then messed it all up by removing the audio files. Now it cant load at all

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can you put the audio files back?

5. NakedGrif

First Language:
    English
    I just did. The reason I took them out is because when I tried the manual's method, it was saying Python wasnt working. So I tried the Intel XPK method and when Id go to make the Android APK it would crash, presumably from being too large and timing out.

6. Soryn

Soryn The Waffle King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just a note, when you distribute to your friends, you'll have to tell them to change their security settings to allow installations from untrusted sources or their install will fail.

7. Faytless

Faytless recently unemployed Kung Fu Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    can you open cmd and type Python --version?  what happens?

There isn't an easy way to compile an APK --  Once you have the manual method setup though,  you can just save a .bat file to recompile your game again.

That's assuming you've setup the pre-reqs correctly.  I do have documentation to follow if you want to try it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2015
  8. NakedGrif

First Language:
    English
     When I do that, it gives me the 'Python' is not recognized... Im running thru the manual method, and it says if you have windows 10 you already have python. Which I didnt read before I installed it so Im really unsure why this isnt working. It also didnt do one of the other install steps right.

9. Lux Fortuna

Lux Fortuna Legal Eagle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    An alternative option would be to host it online--the major upside being that they won't have to wait on a download. The downside being they won't be able to play it off their mobile devices and the first time loading maps/activating skills is somewhat delayed (after that it goes smooth though). Hope you get the android method straightened out, though!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  10. NakedGrif

First Language:
    English
    I know nothing about the web hosting thing or Id be all over that. I dont mind distributing for windows, and Ive already done that a few times with both VX Ace and MV. One of the reasons I got MV was for the Android and IOS platforms so I could send it to more people (mainly the ones who use the excuse Oh I dont have a pc or the ones who claim their jobs take up too much time - so they can play at work lol)

11. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Send me a message if you're interested in web hosting your game and I can do it for you.

12. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you're using Intel XDK, at the end of the build process a screen should come up asking if you want to email the .apk link to anyone.

Just add your friends emails and send them the link. That's how I get it to my android devices and it goes without a hitch.

13. NakedGrif

First Language:
    English
    My issue with Intel XDK is that it always crashes on me.

14. NakedGrif

First Language:
    English
    Ok so after much fiddling about I was able to ge Intel XDK to make me the APK. It works on my phone (yay) and now Im wondering, would I be sending the APK out to my friends?

15. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you use the email feature, your friends download the .apk which then asks to be installed on their device.

They need to have 'install from untrusted sources' enabled (they can disable it again afterwards, of course).

16. NakedGrif

First Language:
    English
    Thank you!