Divinity's Edge (early demo now avaliable)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by The Yank, Jan 1, 2014.

1. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    (This game may contain coarse language and sexual references)​
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Demo 1.15:​
    Requires RTP​
    Missing Audio file:​
     ​
    My attempt at making an epic, open world game like the Elder Scrolls series. Currently on indefinite hiatus, if I ever continue it I'll be remaking the whole thing due to too many bugs with the battle system.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Open-world, RPG

Game Progression:

Database: 40% (I still have yet to add in all the crafting/alchemy recipes)
    Story: 60%
    Maps: 15%
    Resources: 80%

Story:

The land of Ildor has always been the centre of an uneasy balance between angels and demons - demons seek to destroy it, while angels are sworn to protect it. However, as time passes, people forget, and now, at the dawn of a new age, a brash new king with an unhealthy interest in science will rise to the throne. Technology is nearing the point where aircraft can be created - and man will look to the skies, to conquer new lands.If the angels are exterminated, nothing will stand in the way between the demons and mankind. Humanity will have to right its own wrongs.
    World:

Since the dawn of time, demons have sought to corrupt and destroy mankind. Plaguing it with war and technologies that it cannot handle, the demons slowly watched as mankind tore itself apart. The angels could not intervene, as it was man itself who was using this technology for evil.
    There eventually came a time where a great nuclear war was fought, and the whole world was changed. Survivors were affected in strange ways by the radiation - some gained supernatural abilities, calling it "magic" like the days of old, some were physically or mentally altered so that they did not even resemble humans anymore, and some people stayed the same.

A new age had begun.

People chose to try and forget the past, and move on from scratch. Magic replaced technology. But like they say, history always repeats itself...
    Characters:

YouYou have lived in the village of Lamriol all your life with your father, and whenever you bring up who your mother was, your father changes the subject. One day, you long to leave the village and make your own path in the world, as well as find out your origins. That day may come sooner than expected...

Erdrick

He is your father, and has watched over you from your earliest memory. He is surprisingly good in hand to hand combat, and you always wonder if he really WAS always a farmer, as he claims to be.

Prince Sagacious

The only heir left to the throne, now that his sister is dead. The old king grows weak, and the kingdom dreads what will become of it when this unliked prince rises to the throne...

Seraphim

The lead archangel of the angels in heaven. He is sworn to protect humanity, however, time has dulled his senses and he has forgotten his original purpose.

Lucifer

A fallen angel, he is now the ruler of the demons in hell. Throughout the ages they have sought to destroy mankind, and now with both man and the angels weakening, the time may have come...
    Credits:

TDS
    Tsukihime
    greyfox
    Khas Arcthunder
    V
    V.M of D.T.
    Nicke
    Szyu
    Moghunter
    Casper Gaming
    Galv
    Modern Algebra
    Yanfly
    Falcao
    Zeus81
    Pioneer Valley Games (especially their High Fantasy packs)
    Enterbrainciruscat (for the brilliant logo!)
    Screenshots

[​IMG]

The first town that isn't the home town

[​IMG]

What happens if you break the law

[​IMG]

Every NPC in the town becomes hostile if you refuse to pay for your crimes.

[​IMG]

A clearing near the starting village. I fixed that tree that was missing a trunk.

[​IMG]

Some quality bonding time with your father

[​IMG]

Fighting the necromancer boss and his fireball spitting undead minions

[​IMG]

A field full of undead

[​IMG]

Get hit by these fireballs and you will die!

[​IMG]
    Features:

-Falcao's Liquid Pearl Action Battle System - no more "A random monster emerged!" battles.

-No levelling - your power ingame is purely dependant on equipment, as are your skills. Monsters drop gold and ingredients that are used for crafting.

-Crafting system - Create potions and weapons to help you in your quest. (Haven't made many of these yet)

-A huge open world map allowing you to do whatever you want - you can go do the main quest, join guilds, do side quests, or just go spelunking in the various dungeons for treasure.

-A crime system that will bring back memories of "STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM"

-Puzzles that bring more to some quests than just dungeon crawling

-Choices in dialogue that may affect the story

-A script that allows you to play at a bigger window size and has automatically adjusts fullscreen ratio

-Bestiary

-Quest Log

-Day/night cycle

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
    ShinGamix and Zyoshiro like this.
  2. Ichimaru Gin

Ichimaru Gin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Extremely interesting, I personally use pearl abs in most of my games, and when your demo comes out I'll be playing

3. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks ^^

The demo wil most likely have many unfinished dungeons, and the world map will only be half done. The reason is that the world map is 500 x 500, and many dungeons I'm reserving for quests, etc.

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I personally would prefer if the HUD is not affected by screen tints and such... though IDK if you can do anything about it... :)

btw, I'm curious as to why the HF pack is in the credits when I don't see any of it in the screenies...

other than that, it definitely looks nice... :)

5. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If anyone has a fix for tint affecting HUD, I'd love to know it!!

I'm using HF pack for some bigger monsters, like rock trolls and dragons. They tend to come up later in the game, and the screenshots were taken in the first 30 mins of gameplay.

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I see... any idea when the demo will be up?

7. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm actually unsure when I should release it... I have the "prologue" phase done, the part before where you are thrust into the open world. Right now, the overworld is 50% done, I could release it now, but half of the map would be empty. There are also many cave entrances and mines, camps, crypts etc that have no interiors yet.

I'm planning on finishing the main quest first, and then throwing in all the side quests, guild quests, misc dungeons, etc. If you don't mind the lack of quests and interior maps I could put up a link today.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    that's pretty fine for an early demo, or for a demo as a whole... :)

just decide which parts you wanna show in it... and if there's really a point in showing them (like you might really need feedback on this part)

after all, the demo can make or break a person's interest in your game... so plan it nicely...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  9. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Added demo link to opening post.

Abuse the crime system while you can, I haven't actually made a prison map yet XD

Also let me know any glitches, bugs, etc that I should fix.

Edit: I think I fixed the save thing- It was just me adding a script and not restarting the game...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Okay, gonna test it out later when I get home, can't risk getting caught playing in the office... though I'm curious as to why the save doesn't work when you have "too many" items... :)

11. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok, I think I fixed the save thing- it was just me adding a script and not restarting the game...

Also: Can anyone guess what anime this village is based on?

Hint: The protagonist is also a game designer! He likes stray cats

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  12. joragi

joragi Villager Member

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    The game crashes just after the coming soon titles due to a missing audio file: Audio/BGM/Peace 3.  

The little bit I did get to play was really nice though!  Especially the shadows hiding your character.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
    The Yank likes this.
  13. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ah, thanks for actually bothering to test it for me! I thought Peace 3 was in the RTP, as it's in mine, but it seems that's not the case.

I'm uploading a fixed version as we speak. I'll edit this post when it's done.

EDIT: Finished uploading, I posted link in the OP.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  14. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    well, if it's in the RTP and you packed without RTP (or not using the no-RTP trick so that we don't need RTP), make sure you tell us that we need to have the RTP installed in order to play/test it... :)

15. joragi

joragi Villager Member

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    So I have been playing the fixed version of the game and have gotten a lot further now.  Some things I found so far:

-Darkness engulfs everything, including the UI.  I have not had to fight anything in darkness thus far, but if I did, it would be really hard to tell how much health I have left or even which abilities I have where if I forget.  I could not see the stamina meter during the second break-in, and this was one of the primary causes for game overs.  

Perhaps you could find a way to place the UI over the blackness?

-The second break-in was actually pretty difficult for me.  I am not all that good at action games, so that was a factor, but the main reason it took so long was I could not find the switch.  In fact, it turned out it was right next to the point at which I saved and had walked/ran by it at least 20 times.  Just saying, but maybe make the graphic slightly lighter so it does not completely blend in to the darkened environment.

The dungeon also has a wall that sticks out and is walkable, allowing the player to run along the outside edge and avoid the guards.  It does not really help the player, as it leads to a dead end, but just thought you should know.

-If the rest of the game continues this difficulty level, I would suggest making the default option on the Game Over screen load game, since I had to do a lot more of that than return to the title screen.

-This is more a personal preference.  Simply put, I found the story to move far too fast.  

SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS SECTION 

I am not sure why he suddenly decides not to kill her (big heart?  love at first sight?  did he not know who his target was?).  

I am also not sure why she decides to sleep with a complete stranger who was going to kill her (not killing her is a weak excuse, don't you think?).

To be honest, I would have liked to know a bit more about her before she died.  Basically, she is the mother of our future character.  She gets no other fleshing out whatsoever (well, except the line about not calling the guards, I saw some stoicism in there).

17 years pass and Erdrick looks exactly the same (obviously, we can't have everything we want so I'd say it's find for now).
    Overall, it is a pretty impressive game and I shall continue to play it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  16. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey, thanks for continuing to provide feedback for my game!

The UI problem has been brought up before, there is no current way I know of to fix it, but I'll have a look around the forums. But it should be fine most of the game, as not many places will be as dark as the prologue dungeons.

I moved the lantern 1 tile closer to the switch so it was easier to see.

Thanks for letting me know about the map, I fixed it up. No more roof-walking!

The rest of the game will be completely different from the beginning, the beginning was just to show certain elements that the game will have in future, ie. puzzle aspects and stealth aspects. (For example, if you break out from prison, you will have to get through a harder stealth map)

The part you played was just the prologue, a sort of tutorial thing. The pace of the story should be different throughout the rest of the game. As you can see, it seems to have nothing do do with my story synopsis- but in actual fact, I'm laying down the foundations for the main quest.

Answers to your questions regarding story

1. It is supposed to be a "love at first sight" feel, and the princess decides to sleep with him basically because of that and a sense of gratitude.

2. You will definitely find out more about her, her past will be revealed as you (the son) progress in the main story

3. Suspension of disbelief :)
    Past this point (the prologue) it gets more in decision-making and dungeons.

17. joragi

joragi Villager Member

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    So I got a bit farther and got a bit more feedback.

-The limited stamina is a really nice touch when having to deal with enemies, but does it have to also affect the character in places such as the town?  I found it a bit irritating having to walk around the town because my stamina kept depleting.  It made the town feel way bigger than it actually is.  Maybe that just happens in the first town, but just a heads up.

-I can recuperate in my bed, so why would I ever sleep in the inn for 50G?  Maybe something happens later and I am taking my bed for granted but if this is not the case, maybe the inn keeper would serve as another informative dialogue (especially considering he says the upstairs is under renovations, meaning I'm sleeping on the table tonight lol).

-The hunting trip is the real first sense of combat, which was rather fun.  The thing I found annoying was that enemies pushed down against a wall caused their loot to appear on top of the wall, so there was no way of retrieving it (it's not all that big a deal, seeing as they respawn if I leave the area, but it does make me feel cheated by denying me my reward!). 

Other than that, I am starting to enjoy it.  The combat system is different from other rpg maker games I have played and I commend you for it.

18. The Yank

The Yank Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I limited your stamina in town as well, because after the starting village, you can go down the path of the thief: ie, steal from shops, kill random NPCs and such, thus making you a criminal. If I removed stamina from towns, then you could just sprint away from the guards and it would be pretty OP. I do understand it gets pretty annoying if you're not a criminal and you're trying to get from place to place, and I am open to suggestions for alternative balancing methods.

The inn is just there for show, it would be pretty weird to have a town without an inn, or an inn that lets you sleep for free, or not being able to rest in your bed, right? Also,

Lamriol gets destroyed later on.
    I can't really fix the enmy drops thing, as I'm bad at scripting. The creator of the battle system, Falcao forgot to add in that feature, so the only thing I can do is make sure bosses don't drop stuff, and instead you get a Boss Chest. Gold is automatically added, though.

Also, I think I included a Beta test sword with a ton of damage just in case I made an area too hard or something. Think of it as a "cheat" :)

Edit: Fixed the HUD! Lighting shouldn't affect it anymore.

joragi likes this.
  19. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    AWESOME...

20. joragi

joragi Villager Member

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    The game crashes just after leaving Palista and heading east along the road to the end of the right fork to what I assume is the area with a boss battle (as the error states: Unable to find file: Audio/BGM/boss battle 1).

Have you tried incorporating a "take all" option when looking inside crates or chests?  The chests inside the shops of Palista usually contain 5+ objects inside, which gets rather annoying taking them one by one when I want to take them all.

Also, I assume the experience system is not in place yet (seeing as I wandered pretty far south to the desert beaches and north to the sanctuary of the angels as a level 1; thank the beta sword and the armour with +900HP for being able to do that).  How is it supposed to work?

Finally, the world map always sends the player to a black ditch in the middle of the map.  I assume this is temporary?  It took me some time to realize where exactly everything was, especially since the towns and castles are not labeled.  I got lucky and just happened to walk unto the home town space and retrace my steps back to Palista.  There was also a random blinking circle that took me into a random field southeast of Palista (I think... I got lost while wandering).  Is this a bug of some sort?