DLC in RPG Maker

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Lorenze, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do you guys think of it? As far as I'm concerned, it is possible, but is it worthwhile to do so?

As far as DLC itself, I have no qualms for it. It's excellent for adding new and fresh content and replay value to the game,

and can help expand its lifespan. However, DLC is total crap when developers use it to:

• Unlock "true endings" (go screw yourself FFXIII-2)
    • Unlock content already in the game's data
    • Get money for utterly useless items (I'm looking at YOU, horse armor...)
    So yeah. If there was DLC in an RM game, would you approve of it? And what do you think a reasonable price for it would be?

2. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think it'd be acceptable, and the price depends on what's included.

I think DLC is a great idea for games, as long as you don't make DLC purposely for cosmetic additions, or entirely for getting money. If you have made DLC that is actually worth paying for, and you don't charge an outrageous price for it, I think that you should be fine.

Some good ideas for DLC are that you release your game, and the community wants to see a certain addition to a quest line, or more armor, or something. If the community wants something, DLC is a great way to get it to them. In some cases, though, community desired DLC should not be charged for. If you're adding DLC to expand a questline greatly, or add more things to do, go ahead and charge them. If you're adding a measly number of items, weapons, armo(u)rs, then don't bother charging for it, that'll make people upset that you'd charge them for that.

As long as you're not stupid about it, I think DLC is a perfectly acceptable thing for an RM game, or any game.

3. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    DLCs are good, as long as they are free or totally worth their price with new and fresh content (no alternate endings or other stupid pointless things however). About the price...it really depends on the quality of the original game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
    Bukarett and Susan like this.
  4. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The main problem with DLC and RPG MAKER is encryption and the Data folder. You need to encrypt to protect you data, but it blocks overrwriting files with updated content.

I've been looking at other methods via scripting to allow updating while hiding/encrypting only certain files only.

5. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No it doesn't. The load_data and save_data methods provided by RPG maker allow you to open up and load or save files in the encrypted archive. You can use these to update an encrypted game's data.

I wouldn't think that it's too difficult, but I haven't tried so I'm unsure.

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    And how will the player actually do this?

Or you will add a script on the original file (the one the player's first obtain) that checks for a certain folder to add the contents?

anyway, on topic, I think it's fine as long as it actually adds good content to the game...

7. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wouldn't mind paying 99 cents for DLC's.

If I liked the game.

Jawnsunn likes this.
  8. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    It can still be done with an encrypted game. But more than likely the developer would have to either:

A. Create a patch that the player can download and apply to the project. Depending on your target audience, the player may not understand how to include the patch files and will need further instructions on doing this.

or

B. The developer will have to upload an updated project that the player will have to download and install. They'll also need to know to move their save files over from the old project to the new to avoid accidental delete or overwrites.

My opinion, but DLC works best with wherever you'll find your hardest of players. It doesn't fit very well with the nature of RM in it's current condition, which caters more to the casual audience and amateur developers. RM's simplicity and casual 2D experience isn't likely to attract a lot of hardcore players, and casual players aren't likely to want to have to take extra steps than what is necessary to get the full experience of the game they're purchasing.

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would rather just have a completed game that I pay for and play in its entirety, then wait for the next one.

10. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We all would...  Too bad so many companies are dead set on nickel-and-diming you to squeeze out some extra money... the worst being day-one DLC.  I don't mind if it's some $2 cosmetic item I don't need to enjoy the game (although I tend to buy a couple if I like them), but it bugs me when it's a whole new sidequest that takes 2-3 hours to complete and costs $15 or about 30% of what you paid for the game.

11. Ocedic

Ocedic Dog Veteran

People need to stop adopting AAA company business models. Yes, EA has tons of DLC and gets away with it. Doesn't mean that you, someone using RPG Maker, will get away with the same. If an indie dev tried to pull that I would just move on to the next. Being customer-friendly is one of the few advantages that indie devs have, so don't throw that away to try and make some quick money.

Indie dev resources are limited. You should be spending them on actual GAMES. The reason DLC exists for big companies is they have many teams and many people. Once a title ships, they need to keep the team busy (or lay them off, which obviously neither side wants) so DLC is a good option for them to make something that will turn a profit while the design team gets to work on the next game. As an indie dev with a handful of people (maybe just yourself), any time you spend working on 'DLC' is time you lost that could have been spent on your next title.

Corlagon, Jonnie91, McTricky and 2 others like this.
  12. cosmickitty

cosmickitty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    think it depends on the type of game, it seems silly in an standard RPG.  I think it'd be more useful in an MMO style game.  From the projects I work on, if a MMO followed the pay up front model they'd quickly go out of business from server costs, DLC helps to offset that.

13. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I'll take a leaf from To the Moon and suggest releasing the soundtrack as DLC, or at least consider that possibility.

*hugs*

14. Taien

Taien Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [SIZE=10.5pt]Personal preference - the more customisation I have over my game experience the better. The more DLC choices I have the better. I don't buy all DLC, so I like choice as to what I do buy. I love what CK2 has done, which has split the community right down the middle, they've divided their DLC up this time, into aesthetic and game play - perfect! As aesthetic DLC, for me as a player, (in a strategy game), isn't that important.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Designers Preference - I would like RPG maker to offer my DLC options in the future :) , some optional menu item on the front end, title screen of the interface. Episodic content is how I envision my games at present, not really DLC, but I suppose in the same arena. Soundtrack DLC is something I am debating. I also think a free DLC with some of the custom artwork, maybe sounds or even a music track after its a game or two in, is on the cards. I add these for discussion/ideas as the community benefits when people do things like this.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Knights of Pen and Paper +1 made their model DLC based as well, set around gold, I am interested to see if it's worked for them.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  15. Shablo5

Shablo5 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If the DLC is akin to an expansion I'm all in. If it's something small, and like fifty cents, I'll buy it. Anything else Idgaf about to be honest.