DLC questions

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by J_spencer93, May 29, 2019.

1. J_spencer93

J_spencer93 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I am curious, what DLCs are considered the most worth it to buy?

I am looking to expand the generator a lot of it lacks options as well as the tile sets. Which are best?
    Also, animations, are there any good animation ones?

2. JayIsrael

JayIsrael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My guess is that it would depend greatly on what type of game you're trying to make.

3. J_spencer93

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    2D rpg, using basic art style in the game (so no medieval DLC i noticed), all enemies are hand drawn. Um...I honestly dont really know what else to add.

I have placed based on medieval England, japan, china, Egypt, greece, as well as my own unique planes you travel to.

4. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion & Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

5. J_spencer93

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wasnt even aware that was a place lol

mlogan likes this.
  6. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @J_spencer93 For animations, check out hadecynn's work. Top notch!
    https://hadecynn.wordpress.com/archive/
    Be sure to read his terms of use for commercial games if those are your plans. hadecynn is a member here, so you can look up his other threads about animation, too! :cutesmile: Also, since your Primarily Uses section of your profile reads "Other" and the thread was moved to "Product Discussion & Support" in "Community Central" there's no reference to the version of RPG Maker you're using. I've helped you before, so...it's MV, right? I'm asking because it makes a difference when people want to offer DLC suggestions for character generator and tilesets.

7. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I personally think the DS and DS+ packs give you the most materials for the least amount of money, but they're for Ace. If you're using MV that won't be as useful to you, so I second the "which engine" question.

The packs that have character generator parts are very clearly labeled in their own section on the product page here. Steam doesn't really do DLC categories, I guess. Which one to get depends on which parts you're going to find the most useful. Since you said hand drawn monsters, I automatically think of Tyler Warren's packs. They're also the best packs to get if you want a large number of monsters in the same style. There's also a ton of monsters in the resources section of the forums. Specifically check out Thalzon, both his free battlers and his two packs, "Modern-Day Menace Battlers" and "Paranormal Monsters". For the battle effect animations there aren't many choices, and which to pick depends a lot on the style. For a flashy overlay modern games style that would be any of the animation collections. The other options are all pixel art. Normally I know more about the pixel art packs and could recommend one over the other, but this time I don't really know much about the options, sorry. The locations you want to be able to explore makes the right tileset packs hard to pin down, especially since I don't think you can get all those locations in any one style. Since you're not doing your own art you might want to change the writing to suit the locations available instead, and work with the tools you have.

8. J_spencer93

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    for example, I know i want jiang shi parts

I have fixed that now and it reads MV lol thanks for pointing that out.

I personally am making all the monsters, sorry about that confusion.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  9. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Jiang shi, that's the zombie with the sheet of paper on its forehead, right? I don't think any of the character DLC have something like that. It might be worth asking for over at the Resource Requests section.

10. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There also a lot of good free to use stuff on this forum. Just wander around a bit in the resource sections. I use way more free resources than DLC.

11. J_spencer93

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am doing that lol just wanted to know what official ones were worth it

I will do that thanks.