[DLL Loading] Make games smaller. Any way to reuse nw.dll(80MB~) ? (kinda solved)

darksshades

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One of the biggest downsize of MV games is that sometimes the common files are way bigger than all your real files.
That's because nwjs has to pack a chromium inside the nw.dll into EVERY GAME which varies from 60-130MB depending on its version.

I've been trying to find a way to "install" the nw.dll so you could potentially delete rpgmaker's nw.dll from all the game's folder and use the same nw.dll for all games.

If you have a lot of rpgmaker mv games installed at the same time, specially smaller games with RTP that makes the www folder almost nothing in size, that would save a lot of space.

As far as I can see, using different versions of nw.dll should not cause any problems for rpgmaker.
Its usually more features to the browser that rpgmaker doesn't use.

Unfortunately its not as simple as adding the .dll into the windows system variables.
From what I saw chromium loads the dlls by hand so I'm kinda stuck thinking on how to make this work

There was also a very similar question in nwjs a few years back but it never got a working solution.

I don't know if its possible to change how the program should look for the nw.dll.

Any ideas?

Edit:

So I've noticed that some RPGMaker games don't need and don't come with the almost 100MB nw.dll.
They only come with Game.exe, libEGL.dll, libGLESv2.dll, pdf.dll, d3dcompiler_47.dll, ffmpegsumo.dll
You can use the .exe from this games and delete the nw.dll(80MB ) file.

But the downsize is that those games Game.exe are 45MB. So my guess is that they have a minimal or older version of nw.dll packed inside them.

Well, at least it reduces the size by half which is already something.

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Thank you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Terrible Writing Advice, you've done it again.
1635026211997.png
Feeling like my new profile picture is nice. Thinking of making it semi-permanent, does any one has an opinion? Does it look too evil or does it work as a public profile picture? :)
Bishiba.png
My washing machine is a supernatural being. I lost a piece of clothing in there a month ago; searched up and down, inside other clothes, nothing. It just vanished.
Today, put in a new load. When I pull it out, the missing clothing is back! And a sock was sacrificed in the process :yswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_single_firefly