DnD/RPG games and development suggestions?

5eLeigh

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I've been trying to get more into DnD and RPGs with my friend group and new S.O. but i lack creativity and substance. Does anyone have ideas for things i could play or create with to help me figure out whats best for me? Id love any feedback beyond this as well!
Thank You!!

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welcome!

You posted this in video games, but you're talking about RPGs with friends and D&D - are you actually asking about tabletop games?

The rest of my post presumes yes.

i lack creativity and substance.
That's frankly a really poor self-assessment for someone who is (presumably?) thinking about DMing an RPG. You might gather some information about the game and run it by your friends, and ask if it makes one of them interested in running the game so you can just be a player.

If you do want to try being the DM, then first step is to read the rules, and second step is to try running a pre-written adventure (or module, as they're often called).

D&D has a Basic Adventure Box or something like that to help with this, with an adventure and some pre-generated characters so you don't need to learn the rules and spend the time doing that part of it just to try the game.

After that, there are whole series of adventures already written that you can continue to use as you learn how to make your own content, it's easy to look up reviews for which are considered to be the best.

There are also tons of Web sites and YouTube channels you can look at. I'm a fan of The Alexandrian and The Angry GM; Ginny Di on YouTube has some good videos with beginner advice. I would suggest reading/watching a bunch of stuff and take it all with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own styles, so just because someone is smart and right doesn't mean what they say is what you should do.

For that reason, I also wouldn't suggest watching other people play online, unless you watch a bunch of different people. For example, although it's very popular, I fairly strongly dislike the way that Critical Role plays (I would not want to be in a game with them). So if you try watching stuff for inspiration, watch different things to get an idea of what different styles feel like.

5eLeigh

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Welcome!

You posted this in video games, but you're talking about RPGs with friends and D&D - are you actually asking about tabletop games?

The rest of my post presumes yes.

That's frankly a really poor self-assessment for someone who is (presumably?) thinking about DMing an RPG. You might gather some information about the game and run it by your friends, and ask if it makes one of them interested in running the game so you can just be a player.

If you do want to try being the DM, then first step is to read the rules, and second step is to try running a pre-written adventure (or module, as they're often called).

D&D has a Basic Adventure Box or something like that to help with this, with an adventure and some pre-generated characters so you don't need to learn the rules and spend the time doing that part of it just to try the game.

After that, there are whole series of adventures already written that you can continue to use as you learn how to make your own content, it's easy to look up reviews for which are considered to be the best.

There are also tons of Web sites and YouTube channels you can look at. I'm a fan of The Alexandrian and The Angry GM; Ginny Di on YouTube has some good videos with beginner advice. I would suggest reading/watching a bunch of stuff and take it all with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own styles, so just because someone is smart and right doesn't mean what they say is what you should do.

For that reason, I also wouldn't suggest watching other people play online, unless you watch a bunch of different people. For example, although it's very popular, I fairly strongly dislike the way that Critical Role plays (I would not want to be in a game with them). So if you try watching stuff for inspiration, watch different things to get an idea of what different styles feel like.
Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions, I think I may have worded this poorly. I dont want to be the DM, I dont think my nerves could handle it anytime soon, and although tabletops arent my primary goal they can have merit. I was intending mainly to find Vgames that get you swept up in the action and could help me feel more creative and invested. again sorry if my wording isnt great here as im not the greatest at conveying. My S.O had suggested all sorts from Genshin Impact to the Witcher series. Really any games to give me ideas and such for when i do rp in dnd etc

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh. Well, I'm not super sure I see how games will make you feel creative, but I imagine you'd want to focus on things with a strong story/characters.

So games you can play might be The Witcher (although I found the first two not worth playing, from a mechanics standpoint), the Mass Effect Series, Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic.

RPG video games are actually often not the best for this because the silent protagonist is a prevalent trope in the genre, which isn't helpful for giving you inspiration of a character to emulate. The first Tomb Raider remake is good, and there are tons of other games focused on telling the story of a vocal main character.

Movies are good for this - Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, anything fantastical.

Books are better, because they give some explanation of the main character's thought processes that can help you figure out a personality that drives what choices you make. The Codex Alera, The Name of the Wind, the Mistborn novels...there are tons of actual D&D novels of varying quality, you should be able to find a recent thread on here where people were discussing their favorites, but it's also really easy to Google lists.

5eLeigh

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Thank you so much! Il be sure to look into all this more thoroughly. Sorry if we got off on the wrong foot with my terrible explanation!!

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you're just looking to be a better player of tabletop RPGs, a few story-driven games might inspire you; I'd suggest the classics like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI or Breath of Fire for the focus they put on story and the relatively mechanical combat. Honestly, though, I've never met a video game as involved as a pen and paper game in that regard; you're not a silent protagonist or selecting from one of four dialogue choices, after all; you're the adventurer. So anyway, you might be better off reading a book. As luck would have it, there are a bazillion D&D-based novels out there and a universe of other reading that could help prepare you to be the hero. Also, even if you're not the DM, get hungry for those core rule books; you'll want to know everything they say sooner or later.

Also, this maybe goes without saying given the forum we're on, but try making a simple game; you'll start to see angles of gameplay and story that are easy to overlook.

Most of all, just have fun with it. If you're having fun with a group and making more fun for that group, they'll almost universally overlook or help you fix any role-playing shortcomings...well, unless they're jerks...

5eLeigh

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
If you're just looking to be a better player of tabletop RPGs, a few story-driven games might inspire you; I'd suggest the classics like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI or Breath of Fire for the focus they put on story and the relatively mechanical combat. Honestly, though, I've never met a video game as involved as a pen and paper game in that regard; you're not a silent protagonist or selecting from one of four dialogue choices, after all; you're the adventurer. So anyway, you might be better off reading a book. As luck would have it, there are a bazillion D&D-based novels out there and a universe of other reading that could help prepare you to be the hero. Also, even if you're not the DM, get hungry for those core rule books; you'll want to know everything they say sooner or later.

Also, this maybe goes without saying given the forum we're on, but try making a simple game; you'll start to see angles of gameplay and story that are easy to overlook.

Most of all, just have fun with it. If you're having fun with a group and making more fun for that group, they'll almost universally overlook or help you fix any role-playing shortcomings...well, unless they're jerks...
Thank You! Im sure they will help me and they arent jerks. I just suffer from emotional numbness so i really dont have many opinions or emotions for myself typically. Im trying to put the work in though whilst i work out medications and therapies!:ehappy:

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do think reading books would be the best/easiest approach. When you're reading what the character is feeling and thinking before making a choice, you can make a list or flowchart for yourself.

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just suffer from emotional numbness so i really dont have many opinions or emotions for myself typically

I don't mean this as a blanket statement, but it's probably safe to say that many of us here struggle with depression, anxiety, or general social shortcomings -- otherwise we'd probably be doing things with our time that are...less reclusive and weird than making RPGs lol. So anyway, you're in good company here, and D&D (or any group-based tabletop RPG) is a great way to move through that space. I hope you find that it helps you, and I think you'll do fine with it if once you acclimate a little.

Popoto_milk

Tactical Marine
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
High Gothic
Primarily Uses
N/A
Maybe looking at tabletop webcomics or stories will help? I don't do TTRPGs, but I found Darths and Droids to be quite entertaining. It might get you in the mood if nothing else.

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something I used to do a lot before I started DMing was running campaigns solo. I would pick out a premade campaign or sourcebook, like Dreams of the Red Wizards or whatever, make a party of adventurers and run through it. I suspect this is common for DMs learning new adventures, but I would go the extra mile and roleplay each of my characters in my head, similar to writing a novel or play. I can't say for certain, but I like to think these exercises helped me evolve as a developer.

There are other TRPGs you could look into, like Call of Cthulhu or, a more obscure but personal favorite, The Dying Earth Roleplaying Game.

As for video game recommendations, there are tons of them. Tyranny is a more modern one which springs to mind, and which is easily accessible through Steam.

Julijewels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After reading through this post,

You want to be a player in a campaign.. (Try One-shots)

My biggest suggestion to you isn't to study any source material..

I would suggest creating a character that stems from yourself. You don't necessarily have to be human, it's just the hardest part of DND for a new player in my opinion is overcoming the creative gap between reality and fiction. If you can make an effort to connect those two through what you know most, yourself, then you will feel more comfortable in situations that involve roleplaying.

This extends into successful roleplaying, because you can just ask yourself:
What would I do in this situation?
It's a lot easier to picture yourself than it is to picture a Satyr.

ALWAYS be open and willing to discuss any issues or questions you have with the DM that you do find. It's okay to criticize both yourself and the DM. That is how you improve.

Personally, I don't encourage reading the rules but instead ask your DM questions involving them and give them a quick look when you need to confirm something you don't know. All DMs are different and you should discuss what is expected of you as a player before the campaign or one-shot begins.

As a DM, I'm actually really big on leniency when it comes to what my players want to do. I never say no, I encourage any and all actions with a subtle, "You can try." I tend to let roleplay control situations more than the dice and really only use them when I want to mix things up in the middle of the fray.

My party is running Dragon of Icespire Peak, which is the Expansion Set for DND and costs around $20 for the boxed set. Long story short, I had created a pretty hard encounter for the party, and they ended up befriending a giant group of enemies and solving everything through creative roleplay, i.e. asking an enemy if they knew Jennifer (what a great
orc
name.) I did actually choose to have my player roll for that, and she did in fact jog the memory of said creature and completely turned the whole session upside down! :LZSlol::LZSlol::LZSlol:

Long story short, communication is key and find a DM and talk with them a couple times beforehand so that you can see if you guys are a good fit together.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I finally played Persona 4 to see what it's all about. I'm like wait...what the...this is JOJO!
Map025.png

The second settlement you'll visit in my newest game. The small village of Teytal.
sketch 4 an opening cinematic in my gameeee >:]
Untitled_Artwork_16.jpg
oh god how do I add pictures on here it keeps saying i need a link <--( suddenly forgot how technology works )
avery wip.png

"i have to work in like 5 hours ... let's start the main character's face set"
--me, an adult for the past 20 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rehnstillnight