DnD styled Wizards in RPG maker

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Gabenslair, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Gabenslair

Gabenslair Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    In contrast to common RPG's method for "this magic skill uses up your manapoints but you can cast it freely", Dungeons and Dragon's wizards have access to a wide variety of spells they can use, but can only "remember" some spells, some able to remember a spell twice (dont think hard about it), because spells act more like "replenishable consumable items" than "skills".

I'm wondering how this could be implemented in an RPG game, and if its possible to implement it in RPG maker.

My proposed method is to have the in-game menu screen include a "spells" option for wizards to equip X spells out of a selection of them for battle. In each battle, all of the spells are listed from the start and cost nothing to cast, but use them up too fast and they'll only fight and guard against their attacks with nothing more than a cane that can do nothing but look cool. The spells regenerate at every beginning of a battle unless there are designated "rest spots" for the party"

Of course the main flaw is that if the wizard gains a very powerful skill, they could abuse this rigid spell system to equip like 4 "Cthulhu's Nuclear Black Hole Meteor-shower Hurricane of Eldritch Extermination" spells and 1 "heal wounds" as opposed to a diverse selection of spells.

I believe a good solution is that instead of having a limit on how many spells you can have, but have a sort of "inventory limit" where some spells weigh more than others. That way, if they get that spell, they either have to use that only one spell, or a hundred magic missiles.

Now Is there such a plugin that could emulate this complicated RPG mechanic?

Frogboy and CaRa_CrAzY like this.
  2. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I always thought the DnD magic system is godawful and makes me wonder if the game creators were on some kind of drugs when they came up with it. Choosing from a massive list of spells severely stalls the game anytime it's done, and from a lore perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense either to simply forget knowledge that was previously known. While in a tabletop game, the game can be altered on the fly to adjust for choices made by the players, in a videogame, it would be very easy for players to pick the wrong spells that are completely useless for the upcoming scenario. Not to mention that DnD magic severely limits the amount of times a spell can be cast before the reset, it wouldn't make for a fun experience in an RPG.

I think going with some kind of card based combat system where you get to collect cards and build decks for characters they use in combat could be a good alternative. You still get to pick between a lot of different skills, you can change your set-up out of combat and it's a lot more of a familiar concept to people than forgetting everything you ever knew so now you have to dig through your list of dozens of spells to prepare for an upcoming scenario you don't know what it will involve every time reset happens.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Gabenslair 'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

Unfortunately you have not included that information on your Profile Page, so I am unable to move this to the correct forum (either Script Requests or Plugin Requests). Please post to say which engine it is. It would be helpful if you would edit your Profile Page as well so that the information is always available.

EDIT
    I have just seen another thread by you where you talk about plugins. I am, therefore, going to assume that you are using MV, and will move this accordingly. Please, though, follow through on my suggestion to include the engine in your Profile Page information.

Moving this to JS Plugin Requests.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  4. Gabenslair

Gabenslair Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Oh please excuse me, im still new to this whole rpg maker forum business. I agree with you I'd put it in plugin requests, even if i both have VX ACE and MV (my wallet hurts).
    Thank you on advising me on what I should put this topic on, I wasn't sure on putting it on the script/plugin channels since I didn't know if such a general plugin existed that could do this on top of those many stuff, so I just placed this in "gameplay general" because I thought it was just for discussion on game mechanics.

5. CaRa_CrAzY

CaRa_CrAzY Undefined Custom Title Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    This whole system you described is called "Vancian Magic".
    I think @Frogboy has a lot of plugins in this D&D fashion.
    I made a quick search online and found his github link and I hope he doesn't mind if I share it:
    https://frogboymv.github.io/

Frogboy likes this.
  6. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @CaRa_CrAzY
    I don't mind one bit. Thank you! :smile:

@Gabenslair
    FROG Magic is the plugin you're after. It adds spell levels and spell slots to your game along with prepared, spontaneous and power-based spell-casting. If you want to add a lot of flavor to your spell-casting, it should fit the bill.

7. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Frogboy 's plugin can even emulate 4E which i find way more pleasant than the slot per level system from other versions.

CaRa_CrAzY and Frogboy like this.