Do people use (or even notice) nicknames?

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
One of the features of MV (and if I remember correctly, other RPG Makers) is that actors have nicknames. I must admit that I find them a little bit of a nuisance. After thinking of a character name, profile of actors, backstory if it is the kind of game with only a few actors that are strongly involved in the story, it seems mildly irritating to have to think up nicknames. When I play-test, I don't even notice the nicknames displayed in the status field. I have tried to make them more interesting by altering the nickname to something suitable whenever the player makes the actor(s) do something slightly disreputable, but I still am not enthusiastic about this feature.

What do others think about the nickname feature? Would you miss it if it was removed?

[I have ambitions to write a plugin and am at the stage of trying to work out what exactly I want it to do. One of the tutorials that I have had a go with has a nice feature where they use the the nickname part of the actor status window to display information added by the plugin to the actor (race). Does this seem like a good idea? The tutorial I hope to write will be a gender tutorial.]

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my project is single class, equip skills build your own class style.
the proof of concept games before that had alot of different classes.
i have a yanfly plugin notetag replacing the class name with nickname so i kept all of the class names and added a few more which can change at NPC in towns.
kinda just a for fun thing so can pick a class name even though there is no classes.
could easily be converted to a titles thing like how FF14 does it

ive seen other games use nicknames in dialog text codes like how fable did it (kick the chicken in the intro and then people start calling you "chicken chaser" until get a new nickname)

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i'm never use the nickname for the character,not my style to determine it until my inspiration is founded & motivation is healed

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Thank you.

as you're not really talking about any kind of mechanic.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember once using it as a replacement for levels. Had it change as the actor increased in levels, but the actual levels themselves were hidden from the player. Other than that I've never ever used them for anything, and wouldn't miss them in the slightest if they were removed.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've used the nickname field for surnames in one of my projects back when I was fiddling with VX Ace. Since the cast involved e.g. someone with ties to military, I reckoned it would make more sense to have some NPCs call him by his surname, and so having it easily visible to the player felt like a nice idea.

Of course, the default placement of the nickname field meant that I had to edit the Status menu a bit to move the field closer to the actor name field (so they would look more like two parts of a name instead of two separate things).

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you to everyone for their input. I get the impression that nicknames aren't a "must have" feature for a lot of people. Must admit that I have a liking for some of the older western RPGs where the character and history of the player controlled characters isn't important to the story.

@Shaz - Sorry for posting the topic in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure of the best place for it.

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's obviously useful in that it's POSSIBLE to use it for something outside the box :p
(like a Character specific variable)

But yeah, not 'must-have' for sure!

It could be fun to use it for titles such as 'Stranger', which eventually changes to say 'Shield Hero'

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I play-test, I don't even notice the nicknames displayed in the status field.
I have never typed anything into the nickname field (I don't feel the need to fill something in just because it's there :stickytongue: ) so I never knew that it would display in the status menu.

I've never played a game in this genre that had nicknames, so I don't even know why they're there, what it's supposed to be emulating.

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Nenen and @ATT_Turan Thank you for your input. This supports what I thought, and what has already been said. At the moment, I am still trying to make my mind up whether to grab the nickname section of the status screen or not. It might not be useful for anyone writing a game in a language other than English. It would make more sense to use it in a combined race and sex plugin that has with configurable terms. At the moment, it stays in to help with debugging.

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use the nickname (because some of my characters do have actual nicknames) but don't display it in the status screen - it exists only so I can substitute it into dialogue if needed. I'm not sure if I'll actually do that, but since the field exists and the characters do have nicknames, I figured I might as well use it. I'm heavily customizing the status screen anway, so there's no reason for me to use the nickname field to hold other data such as race; I can just make the status screen read the other data from a custom location.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I was listening to songs by Chuck E Cheese's voice actor (Jaret Reddick from Bowling for Soup) when the meds I was taking for my stomach virus apparently stopped working. I can't take my next dose until morning, but it's no use anyway. I'm officially sick again. Of course, I'll definitely take the next dose either way, but it's useless now.
New profile picture! This time, it's representative of my current project.
I suddenly feel like making a game for little kids: a pointless sandbox of cute animals, silly collectibles, and random mini games.
Anyone else just like, not bother to make games themed around specific holidays? I know I won't get them done in time for it to make sense.
time to enter the playtest dimension

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cycloxalis