Do you actually like this Chibi Style?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by V_Aero, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Depends.
    The chibis are, by far, the easier ones to edit. Making a diverse range of poses is more manageable when there are only a few pixels of body space. Better for making games with lots of movement/expression.

But the taller sprites do have more appeal, they show off more of the character design on the maps and help make the game's world feel more grounded. They are better suited for more atmosphere heavy games.

Actually, the real god-tier sprite designs are the 2k/3 styled charsets. They could end up being the best of both worlds if done right.

2. mylafter

mylafter Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry, I really don't like the chibi sprites but that does not mean I like XP. I prefer tall sprites like mack style. They take longer to edit and are much harder to find resources for, but it's all worth it in my opinion. I just feel like the chibi sprites don't ever match with the tiles. They look way to small to have a bed THAT big, or a shelf THAT tall.

3. taaspider

taaspider Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really dislike the chibi sprites. I went as far as learning to pixel draw to customize my own sprites based on mack style...
    I'm fine with XP sprites, but I do like MV's color palette better.

4. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like all three types mentioned here. 2k3/XP/VX & VX Ace/MV.

I guess MV count as VX & VX Ace, as they are Chibi too, but they are actually bigger in size so I see them as there own type as well as being Chibi too.

Edit: If I had to be a favourite out of them, probably XP. It's nice in a way they are more realistic. But I'd only like to see more XP style charsets in MV if the tilesets match sizes with them too, or vice verses situation/tilesets instead of charsets.

VX & VX Ace and then MV Chibi's seem to fit a more cartoony or happy/friendlier theme style though, and they probably fit well and better with those themes.

To be fully honest though, I am still happy with all of them as mentioned above.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  5. HayateKung

HayateKung Villager Member

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm now using MV but have played games developed using RMXP before. I could tell that I prefer the ones on XP over MV and the MV one is kind of "blank." The proportions are also a bit weird in MV.

6. Builds_a_lot

Builds_a_lot Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I personally STRONGLY dislike the chibi style. I love the XP sprite, other than the color palette and definition.
    I wish someone had a generator set that allowed for sprites that match the anime face-sets better.
    My only other gripe with most assets is the scaling on things being wildly off.
    Most things in the environment are ginormous versus the tiny chibi sprite, (Giant vending machine vs tiny tank, is another.)
    I use text boxes WAAAAY too much, I just realized I did what I do with text boxes in-editor. o_O

7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the chibis.

Whether I use them depends on what kind of game I am making though. If it’s a more adventure like game that involves characters having different body postures to demonstrate actions, then the tall style sprites work better. If poses aren’t a problem and I need lots of different characters, then I use chibi.

Mystic_Enigma likes this.
  8. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The number of people who think that the XP sprites aren't chibi is amusing to me. Ahem, not important to the discussion though, moving on.

Most of the time I can't stand the tile high sprites and prefer taller if available, and this was the case even when I was a small girl playing my first RPGs. They just look too much like generic children and there's not a lot of room to put in more personality or your own unique stamp, and that kind of thing is both important to me in my own art, but also in feeling connected to the characters in what I play. I'll make an exception for the DS characters, they're so adorable that I can't do anything but think "Awww~!" every time I see them. Obviously not the best for every story, but still good in the right context. I personally prefer tile and a half high sprites, they have enough room for personality but are still stylized enough to look more interesting to me than a sprite with realistic proportions (realistic proportions for sprites are super rare anyway, they're usually 3D renders). Seeing the face with about as much clarity as the clothes is nice, if you go one way or the other in proportions, you lose that. I'm also a little too fond of clothes and so a sprite where you can't tell what they're wearing is frustrating to me.

9. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually prefer the RPG Maker XP style. It was the right balance between Uber Cute and realistic. -- Tentacles

10. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to join "THAT GUY" and say chibi all the way. The face art from character generator is hit or miss, mostly miss.

Chibi is the old school style I grew up on so obvious bias, but I think it also helps define the games sorroundings more like in towns, dungeons and yes Battles as well.

Plus I'm not a fan of long over the top action sequences. I enjoy the eye candy one time (like FF X Yuna summons) but after that...SKIIIIIIP

Games that showcase Chibis typically scream that battles will be quick and then back to the best part of the game, the story.

L.W. Flouisa likes this.
  11. L.W. Flouisa

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah OK I was worried I was necro-posting. Chibis can be good, and can make robot characters less ... freaky.

12. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think/wonder also if this derives from being either Team NES/SNES or Genesis/PS1

Because THAT was as real as things got back then and the debates often turned violent.

L.W. Flouisa likes this.
  13. L.W. Flouisa

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which style was SNES? But yea the arguments can get kind of silly. (Not fun for those involved though.)

14. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Switz Hmm, I'm not sure which side would be which, but I don't think it matters that much. Except for Genesis, there wasn't much (if any) competition between them, and the Genesis wasn't known for JRPG's. (It has some fantastic ARPGs though.) If you mean which one you grew up on, I started on an Atari way before the NES came out, and I very clearly remember my first time playing the first Zelda, so for me at least it has no influence. I still prefer taller sprites.

15. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I always remembered Genesis as being "next gen" and ARPJ's with "lifelike" graphics and playstyles whereas NES/SNES had more crisp, but kiddy graphics.

....I didn't own many games lol