Do you dislike any particular gaming consoles?

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've never liked the Sony Playstation until I became an adult and bought one at a thrift store. Back in the day I saw the Playstation 1 as a inferior console to the Nintendo 64 even though it had better sound quality. When the Dreamcast came out, the Playstation 2 came out shorty after and the Dreamcast was no more. Even tell this day the Sony PS4 just doesn't appeal to me because I know they are going to break down like the Playstation 3 did (I've had friends spend 100's of dollars on repairs). I don't mind the Playstation 4 controller, I really like that your thumbs will no longer collide but the game library just doesn't appeal to me although I know there are worthwhile games out there on that system. 

Back in the old console generation days of Xbox and the Playstation 2, I remember playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City and Soul Calibur 2 on both consoles and I remember the frame rate on the Playstation 2 dropping like crazy compared to the Xbox versions.

The Playstation 3 never appealed to me because my thumbs would collide occasionally when playing a fps at my friends house, and then I witnessed my friends spending 100's of dollars to fix the console when it broke down. I've never had this problem with my Halo Reach Edition Xbox 360. The only problem I've had on the Xbox 360 is my Nat dropping from open to moderate but that has to do with my router settings.

In the future, I believe Microsoft and possibly Sony will release a game streaming service on the PC. I'm not sure if there will be anymore next generation consoles although some claim Nintendo is working on a new project called "Fusion" which will out perform the PS4's hardware specs and have backwards compatibility for 3DS games. What do you guys think will happen in the future? Are there any consoles you dislike and if so for what reasons do you dislike that console for?

Athryl

The Reticent
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am the odd one out in that I didn't like N64 much.  My brother had one when we were growing up and sure I played it, but when he moved out I got a playstation and never looked back.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think N64 is a bad console, it just didn't click with me.  I didn't like very many of the games and the graphics sometimes made me feel a bit motion sick.  I think all the RPGs on original playstation are what really sucked me in over nintendo for that era of systems.  

It's funny you mention the playstation controllers too cause I always loved them because the xbox ones were huge (360 is better but still a bit big) but then again I've got little girly hands.  And yeah the n64 controller? Not my thing either!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
... I've had to buy 2 360s because my first one died. Both PS3s in my house are champs that have never messed up. (My daughter has her own ps3).

I think what we have here is anecdotal evidence! Just saying, both systems had issues, RROD was annoying.

There was no system that I really disliked, though several I think were underrated. The Dreamcast was a beast of a system. It was really more powerful than the PS2, but Sega mismanaged it and was being stupid at the time. It also had a monster launch lineup.

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
... I've had to buy 2 360s because my first one died. Both PS3s in my house are champs that have never messed up. (My daughter has her own ps3).

I think what we have here is anecdotal evidence! Just saying, both systems had issues, RROD was annoying.

There was no system that I really disliked, though several I think were underrated. The Dreamcast was a beast of a system. It was really more powerful than the PS2, but Sega mismanaged it and was being stupid at the time. It also had a monster launch lineup.
Yeah, the first generation Xbox 360's had a flaw in them where as the slim Xbox 360's seem to be much more durable than the original and this was all because the cooling unit on the processor would fail causing it to overheat and fry over long periods of time.

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
I've never had any issues with any Sony system. Don't know any who've had them either. I know plenty of people who've had trouble with the Xbox and Xbox360 though - just saying. It really is hard to quantify this stuff. It usually just boils down to personal experience and luck.

As for disliking systems - doesn't really happen, except a little bit in the case of the Wii and WiiU.

Not because they're bad systems, but because they represent something I don't like in gaming - which is gimmicky game-play.

Motion controllers, touch panels etc. I loathe that stuff. I think it's fine to have in the periphery of gaming as an oddity for those who're interested.

The problem is that once such trends get rolling, all devs and hardware produces start employing it, even though it's often very poorly implemented and/or isn't necessary at all for the general experience.

It's just there, thus drawing away from the general experience which would have been just as good without it, and therefore would probably be better without it since people who just want to sit there and play the god damn game wouldn't have to entertain these contrived mechanics.

I'm also kinda annoyed at Microsoft's entry into the market - not because there is anything wrong with the machines or the games, but because it stretched the industry thinner than it already was. Exclusive titles force players to spend insane amounts of money on consoles if they want to play all the good titles out there. The less consoles you have, the better for the players because they'll usually get all the titles they need on one console. 

Once the Xbox came out, we'd finally got rid of Sega Consoles, and they were still producing games for other consoles, so I considered that a win for me as a consumer. Then Microsoft came and messed that up.

So, again, don't really dislike systems in and of themselves, but rather the impact some systems have had on the market. I don't mind gaming on Wii/WiiU, or on Xbox/Xbox360 at all, as they both have many good titles.

Very true. Dreamcast also had some really good gems, like the Shenmue series.

Araial

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I dislike the Xbox series... Many  the games are shooters, which I don't give a rat's pet donkey about, and there are not enough RPGs. The one game I ever wanted on Xbox is now on PS3, so I got it for that.

Also, compared to other online console features (such as PSN), Xbox Live has a butt ton of trolls and griefers. Those people need to quit picking on little kids. It's not cool, it's bullying. I know this because my younger brother (15) thinks it's funny to troll people, and because of all of the YouTube videos of Xbox Live trollers/griefers.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I dislike new consoles. PS4, XBOne and WiiU. I don't see too much of a difference between these and an actual PC. Except for the WiiU, which is plainly extravagant and half the price goes at the tablet it uses as a controller.

My brother has a PS3, and it's getting dust because it broke. Maybe because he didn't used it. Also his X360 has issues with the hard drive. I think that these generations consoles are meant to break apart and make you buy the next one.

Just some months ago I got a NDS which I can drop to the ground intentionally and continue playing. Maybe with some more money, I would had bought a 3DS, OR invest on a PS2 instead. Yeah, new gen consoles can suck others money! Mine is going for wine and fun! (?).

Samsonite

Samuel L.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't dislike any consoles, but I have no desire to play newer consoles. I usually just watch friends when they play Xbox or Play Station. That might change if the right game(s) come along that peak my interest.

Sennie

Demon Slayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't really like the Xbox 360 mainly because they're so faulty! I always seem to get a few months of play and then the Xbox goes faulty and one of my games gets scratched so no I don't like the Xbox 360, however I do really like Nintendo Ds's!!

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I have a Game.com, and it sucks. But I won't go for easy-targets. Xbox 360 isn't a terrible console, but it lacks RPGs. The PSP has the exact opposite problem, but it doesn't have many non-RPGs that I care for.

But besides that, I can bring myself to truly hate a non easy-target console. They're all good and bad in there own ways.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't like the Xbox series. Not a fan of coop/multiplayer online gaming on consoles (which I believe microsoft does better than sony), and most other games on the Xbox are released on PC too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Espon

Lazy Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not a gaming console persay, but I've never been fond of Apple products.  It always feels like they're trying to rip you off with their high prices and accessories that no longer work on later products, and it certainly doesn't help that my friends that are into Apple products are extremely arrogant and it's pointless to ever try to have a conversation with them about technology without it turning into an "Apple is superior than PC" debate.

Nintendo's been building a poor reputation with me with some of their poor decisions to not get with the times and trying to be too gimmicky, although I'll always be in love with their franchises.

steeltamashii

A Simple Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've never been fond of any of the Xbox consoles, but that's because the majority of the games for the Xbox systems just don't appeal to me. Honestly though I feel like console hate is kind of odd nowadays considering most games come out for everything. It's just a choice of whichever box you want.

The original Xbox did have some cool games though, like Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue 2, Phantasy Star Online, and Panzer Dragoon Orta, so it wasn't a complete waste of money for me.

My biggest disappointment in a console however would probably have to be the N64. Alot of extra potential in that system that just never got used. Fantastic first party software, but severely lacking in third party support (something that bugged me tremendously after having been a very satisfied SNES owner). All because Nintendo wanted to stick with cartridges. It would have been miraculous to see what could have came from all those awesome Squaresoft RPGs of that era on the N64.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Wii. (GOD.)

And the ps2 just lacked many of the better games (or they were inferior ports from the xbox) which is why I prefer Xbox (original)

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I LOVE the Playstation series and still do. I think partly it's because they're part of my childhood and the selection of games were superb. I always loved the PS controller since they fit me well. I never liked XBox's controller. But I think it depends on what games you are used to playing. I'm still a PC player though with a Ps2 controller.

I don't really dislike any console but if I have to choose one, it would probably be the mobile phones XD... I don't like messing with something business only with fun I guess?

kj3400

Hmph Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't really think mobile phones count as a console per se, because it's not really a unified thing. I mean, there are thousands of phones out there.

As for which console I hate, I can't say I hate any of them. They all have their faults, but they all had things I liked. I mean, there's no perfect console out there, imo.

Nivlacart

Glue my hand to the tablet pen.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Probably Xboxes. I dunno, when I play one it doesn't feel like the console is taking games seriously... something like that.

I kinda dislike mobile phones too. Granted, there are some pretty good games on them, but it's... NOT A GAMING CONSOLE!

Maybe it's because I'm a purist that it irks me, expecting games to be exclusively on game consoles, and I'm just an old man griping at whippersnappers with their uPhones and Andruids.

I feel like phones and people who play phone games don't take them seriously either.

They're not appreciating... THE ESSENCE OF THE GAME. ITS FORM. ITS MECHANICS. ALL YOU SEE IS SOMETHING TO PASS THE TIME ON YOUR TRAIN RIDE BUT THEY ARE MORE THAN THAT. IT'S NOT THE SAME.

*muffled grumbling and rambling in the distance*

IcarusBen

The Lord of Looney, the Monarch of Madness, the Ki
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like the Xbox, love the Xbox 360, but I will most likely never buy an XBone unless something really good (re: Fallout 4 or TES VI) comes out for it exclusively. I also despise Kinect. I've only ever enjoyed one game on the console (the Gunstringer, which is really freaking AWESOME.)

I couldn't care less for Wii or DS. I was never a fan of the GB or GBC, but I kinda liked the GBA.

I've never owned a Sony console, so I can't say anything about them.

As for classic consoles, I can't stand anything older than a Genesis. I can't accept those hellishly awful 8-bit graphics. There's retro, and then there's just old.

Sailerius

Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Probably Xboxes. I dunno, when I play one it doesn't feel like the console is taking games seriously... something like that.

I kinda dislike mobile phones too. Granted, there are some pretty good games on them, but it's... NOT A GAMING CONSOLE!

Maybe it's because I'm a purist that it irks me, expecting games to be exclusively on game consoles, and I'm just an old man griping at whippersnappers with their uPhones and Andruids.

I feel like phones and people who play phone games don't take them seriously either.

They're not appreciating... THE ESSENCE OF THE GAME. ITS FORM. ITS MECHANICS. ALL YOU SEE IS SOMETHING TO PASS THE TIME ON YOUR TRAIN RIDE BUT THEY ARE MORE THAN THAT. IT'S NOT THE SAME.

*muffled grumbling and rambling in the distance*
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.camouflaj.republique&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings.googleplay&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM5HM&hl=en

There are more quality games for Android than the WiiU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:
I am so hyped! A new post update and im anxious to see reactions..eeeeeeee
When a youtuber plays your project or game made by you using MAKERs, you will just be awe struck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deli