Do you dislike any particular gaming consoles?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like the Xbox, love the Xbox 360, but I will most likely never buy an XBone unless something really good (re: Fallout 4 or TES VI) comes out for it exclusively. I also despise Kinect. I've only ever enjoyed one game on the console (the Gunstringer, which is really freaking AWESOME.)

I couldn't care less for Wii or DS. I was never a fan of the GB or GBC, but I kinda liked the GBA.

I've never owned a Sony console, so I can't say anything about them.

As for classic consoles, I can't stand anything older than a Genesis. I can't accept those hellishly awful 8-bit graphics. There's retro, and then there's just old.
u b missin out on sum megamen yo

what about games coming for the wiiu?

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
 I've never had this problem with my Halo Reach Edition Xbox 360. 
Until I read that line, I was CERTAIN that you were mixing up PS3 and Xbox. I have known 1 person who replaced their PS3, and every Xbox 360 owner I met has had at LEAST 2 of them. I even found two sitting in the trash one day. (After a little cleaning, they stopped with the red rings.) However, I don't even think I have known a casual Xbox player who didn't replace their system at some point. 

I like the 64, but it was so much wasted potential. I remember a big reason I preferred Playstation in those days was the fact that Squaresoft was producing games for it. That was the biggest win for me. If N64 had Parasite Eve and Xenogears, I would be singing Nintendo's praises. But they gave us Jet Force Gemini.

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Until I read that line, I was CERTAIN that you were mixing up PS3 and Xbox. I have known 1 person who replaced their PS3, and every Xbox 360 owner I met has had at LEAST 2 of them. I even found two sitting in the trash one day. (After a little cleaning, they stopped with the red rings.) However, I don't even think I have known a casual Xbox player who didn't replace their system at some point. 

I like the 64, but it was so much wasted potential. I remember a big reason I preferred Playstation in those days was the fact that Squaresoft was producing games for it. That was the biggest win for me. If N64 had Parasite Eve and Xenogears, I would be singing Nintendo's praises. But they gave us Jet Force Gemini.
I never owned a PlayStation but one day while at my friends house I was browsing through his cd case and he had a ton of PS2 games but a broken PS2 console. It was the fat model and I was able to fix the console by cleaning the lens gently with a cotton swob. After the console was fixed, I got to play .hack infection which I really liked for the time being as it pretended to be a mmorpg by having ally npc's set up as players that group together and explore randomly generated dungeons on different servers.  

Nivlacart

Glue my hand to the tablet pen.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I've played Chaos Rings, it is pretty good.

But despite that, games like Candy Crush and Temple Run overwhelm it by miles.

They are legitimate games, casual games... but... There are so many other games out there that can impress, can make you feel, have so much to offer, and they're not seeing it.

That's why it makes me feel like mobile phone gamers don't take games seriously. So many of them see games not as this form of entertainment, but just a time passer.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Yeah, I've played Chaos Rings, it is pretty good.

But despite that, games like Candy Crush and Temple Run overwhelm it by miles.

They are legitimate games, casual games... but... There are so many other games out there that can impress, can make you feel, have so much to offer, and they're not seeing it.

That's why it makes me feel like mobile phone gamers don't take games seriously. So many of them see games not as this form of entertainment, but just a time passer.
It's sad too, I've seen many people call themselves 'gamers' and they only play the mobile stuff.

Granted, as stated by Sailerius, Android has several great games... but most of the Mobile 'gamers' don't play those titles. I can see culture 10-20 years from now looking back to mobile games like Candy Crush and Angry Birds thinking 'People used to think this is good?'.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What is a gamer really? Someone who plays video games. Why does one need to be uber-hardcore about it to be a "Gamer"? Game Informer made a good point that "Gamers" covers a lot of ground, from players of casual, time passing games to serious, time passing games. Entertainment and time passing are usually 1 in the same, otherwise you would be bored, no?

I am an old man, I remember the days when merely MENTIONING my NES would get people's knuckles to start cracking... there's a geek nearby. While I have lately been lamenting the fact that everything I loved that made me uncool, is becoming cool, I can't help but feel hot pangs of JOY when I realize that someone's

grandma down the street could be playing video games RIGHT NOW! (My grandma owned a Genesis and an NES and she played the **** out of them, so she doesn't count....)

That having been said, I REALLY don't like mobile games.  Or the crap that fills up Facebook. I won't personally play them, but I like that they help legitimize video games. (Lots of people still think them a stupid waste of time, but they don't realize it's at least an INTERACTIVE stupid waste of time, not like their passive televisions and movies.)

Reaction score
First Language
Cookie
Primarily Uses
The xbox 360. Why? Because it always broke on us: One time we had the xbox 360 and played it all the time then it broke. So we got another one it broke as soon as we turned it on. When we tried to fix it it didn't work so they just gave us a free one to replace it. And then guess what...? It broke a day later. Never buying one of those again I don't like them anymore they are mean :p

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
XBOX.

All the people I know had problems with theirs. Either it was bricked or it just died off even in good condition.

Not only that but the community was terrible.

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The xbox 360. Why? Because it always broke on us: One time we had the xbox 360 and played it all the time then it broke. So we got another one it broke as soon as we turned it on. When we tried to fix it it didn't work so they just gave us a free one to replace it. And then guess what...? It broke a day later. Never buying one of those again I don't like them anymore they are mean :p
That is utterly pitiful. How does stuff like this even make it off the assembly line? Much less be endowed with a price tag for people to waste their money on.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I agree with the XBOX opinions (Besides the first one, even though it didn't have the biggest library)

Not very interested in the 360 and may never touch an XBONE.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is utterly pitiful. How does stuff like this even make it off the assembly line? Much less be endowed with a price tag for people to waste their money on.
Well, unfortunately, that is how it works. When I am selling something, you can either buy it or not. If you, the buyer wants to overlook the flaws (Major, in this case) it's no ones fault but your own for buying what you knew to be faulty. 

I was utterly disappointed when people kept buying them again, I had to seriously wonder if they liked spending some times 2x the price of a ps3 just to play their 

(graphically inferior) games.

edit: Don't mean to sound too acerbic, but it was quite the spectacle. What really made me laugh is I brought four or 5 of them back from "RRoD" just by giving it a good and thorough cleaning of the dust and dirt buildup. 

Last edited by a moderator:

steeltamashii

A Simple Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, unfortunately, that is how it works. When I am selling something, you can either buy it or not. If you, the buyer wants to overlook the flaws (Major, in this case) it's no ones fault but your own for buying what you knew to be faulty. 

I was utterly disappointed when people kept buying them again, I had to seriously wonder if they liked spending some times 2x the price of a ps3 just to play their 

(graphically inferior) games.
Especially since half the crap was available on every system. That's the brand recognition at work. Microsoft could have sold them a box filled with beetle dung and these people still would have bought it.

doncht

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I used to love Xbox but they just can't come up with a design that will last for a few years though. 

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not a huge fan of Nintendo consoles.  No particular reason for this.  Maybe the games available for the various Nintendo consoles don't generally appeal to me enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The second draft of my script is almost done, and I don't think I'm going to write a third draft. I'll make changes to dialogue here and there, but I'm happy with the series of events the way they are.
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)
so like with the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt thingy', how are you supposed to tell if your title screen/battle music gets really tedious after a few dozen plays or if you're just personally hella sick of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesuProYT