Do you ever do writing for your game when you are tired? I.e. Dialogue. Would you recommend it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atoms, Sep 24, 2018.

?

What is your stance on writing for games when you are tried?

1. I would write when I'm tired and polish it later, when I'm not feeling tired.

56.5%
  2. I would write when I'm tired and then leave it at that, without making changes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not a good idea to me. I would only write dialogue when I'm not feeling tired.

39.1%
  4. I would would write after daydreaming but not when I feel tired.

4.3%
  5. Other. Can discuss in this thread if you want.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was just curious if anyone here is like me and sometimes writes dialogue or other writin for there games when they are tired.

Long ago I was against it as I always thought I can't write the best I can do when I'm tired, but now my attitude is it's fine to write so long you go back to it later to polish up at a time when your not tired. The way I see it now, it can still be helpful.

I'm not talking about staying up late at night to do writing instead of sleeing however, while it can be connected, that would still be different topic from what I'm saying here.

So, what are your thoughts and opinions on this? Do you ever do any form of writing for your games when you are tired?

If you aren't making any games and just play them over here, would you ever do this if it was you?

2. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I always do and come back to revisit it. Generally I do that with all my text regardless of how I felt when writing it.

atoms likes this.
  3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I tend to, not exclusively, but usually do the parts of game making I am in the mood for at the moment. So if I were tired but wanting to write, I’d do what I could and polish it up later.

However, it’s rare I’d be up for writing when I’m tired.

Also, yes, off subject a bit, but before people ask, sometimes I do have to force myself to do the parts of game making I’m not in the mood for, in order to make progress.

atoms likes this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When I'm tired, I couldn't even come up with an idea what to write which basically blocked. Even if it didn't block me from writing, some of the character might out of character which is expected. When I'm quite sane and not tired, I scapped most of not all of it which turn it into a vain. Later, I regretted that I should have take a rest instead.

atoms likes this.
  5. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm the same as TheoAllen. I don't write when I'm tired since I don't come up with good ideas.

atoms likes this.
  6. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @atoms, I am not doing the writing when I tired because if I did that only me can understand what I am writting about. I need to focus on grammar, punctuation, and spelling, so I need a lot of focus to do that.
    Ideally, when an idea pop up, you should write it down somewhere before it disappeared whether you are tired or not.

If someone is a writer type, he or she can technically write anytime because that individual is enjoy writing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    atoms likes this.
  7. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't do any writing when I'm tired, but when I'm drifting off to sleep or otherwise tired/napping/resting, I like to daydream what the next part of my game is going to be. Then, the next day, I flesh it out a bit more and add it. It usually ends up a lot better than if I'm sitting down, trying to create the initial idea at the computer for some reason.

I went with the "write when tired" option even though, as explained above, that's technically not how I do it. Poll needed an "other" option.

atoms likes this.
  8. Idiot

Idiot save early, save often, save versions Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The way I see it, any writing, even bad writing, is better than nonwriting. I think of it as just a first draft and move on to editing it later when my head is clear.

atoms likes this.
  9. Storyteller-Hero

Storyteller-Hero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you don't write when you get an idea, you could forget it and then remember that you forgot something good, and that is frustrating.

atoms likes this.
  10. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced girl who will lurk from now on Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla/Bengali
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I write my whole story like a novel. I love writing so I've never felt tired when I'm writing. You shouldn't try to plan your story when you're tired, that's what I think. Because then you actually don't think it's fun, you think of it as work and a burden. I usually write when I'm bored. That helps me to keep myself entertained with work that I like to do. But that's also why my game is talking sooo long. *sheepish smile*

atoms likes this.
  11. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry I never responded, I kept forgetting about this.

I just want to thank everyone for the responses, and it's interesting what's been said, sounds like most people in the discussion agree it's best not to write when being tired after all

@Aesica You can switch your vote now, but let me know if you think it could be worded better on the poll.

12. ShadowHawkDragon

ShadowHawkDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you do decide to 'write' something while tired forget grammar and just focus on getting the words out. From my experience you can't 'write' when tired but you can 'text dump'. Sometimes just getting the idea on paper/screen is all you need. You can leave the translation of the scribbly ideas into actual 'writing' for later.

atoms likes this.
  13. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you @ShadowHawkDragon for sharing that advice, I think that is actually the best way to go about with it while being tired, as it's much easier to just continue writing if you have thoughts and ideas while being tired and then check it carefully and correct spelling and grammar when your more awake.

I also am like @Kupotepo and @Storyteller-Hero I think it's a very good idea to write down any ideas you get when they come, as long as you can do that at the time. Having paper and a pen nearby for if those ideas come can help too.

Thank you for your comments everyone! :)

14. TheMutantSpaceDancer

TheMutantSpaceDancer Maker of Goof 'ems. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you are making a game with a general dumb and goofy sense of humor then yeah it could help depending on what joke is needed. The dumbest stuff can sprout from a tired mind

atoms likes this.
  15. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I write when Im tired but have some general ideas (no dialogue though, unless it's A oneliner I want to use), polish later.

atoms likes this.
  16. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Usually my best work is when I’m tired. Lol. I’ll go back and check something I’ve written the next day only to realize that I need to rewrite the bit I wrote when I was not tired. I love finding bits in my novels and stuff that I wrote when I was too tired to really remember. It always makes me wonder who else has been writing in my document when I wasn’t looking.

atoms and Finnuval like this.