Do you finish a game before starting a new one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuomo L, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    24-disloyal-man-meme.w710.h473.jpg

I'm curious, do you guys keep working and focusing on only one project or when you get a brand new shiny idea or like a new contest opens, do you just leave the old project or do you try and spread your energy among multiple projects?

Personally, I try and focus myself into a single project at a time.

M.I.A. likes this.
  2. Cunechan

Cunechan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I personally try to get my unfinished game to demo status before working on a new one lol. But it's really hard to have an idea and concept convincing enough to oneself to keep working on it for a very long period. I know quite a few people who have about 10 game ideas and are working on 3 of them at almost the same time, I guess it really depends.
    I used to work on multiple projects at a time, but by now i realized it's worth more if you really think yourself into one and focus on it, I want to think as much as possible about the idea to prevent plot/logic holes, and to make it as lively and convincing as possible.

3. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I have a long time project, but I do make small (mini)games in between, since I like the feeling of actually getting something done and released once on a while instead of reworking a core feature of my main project for the 5th time.

I usually don't spend more than a month on an miniproject, don't do more than 2 a year and still spend some time on the main project, though then usually on more laid-back activities like map making.

Most game ideas get thrown into a design document folder and stay there for the rest of inifinity.

4. Venderbox

Venderbox Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I try to finish games before starting new ones, but if I find myself losing interest in my current project I'll take a break to work on a fun little side project. Sometimes when I'm working on my side project, I end up coming up with fresh new ideas for my main project.

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I usually have one main game and one side project going. If an idea comes for more than that, I either shelf the side project, or put it in a document for use later. Right now my document has I think 21 game ideas, which means I have enough to make games until I'm 726 years old.

Tuomo L and Marsigne like this.
  6. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like to have at least one side project going at the same time as my main project. Sometimes the main project gets too involved.. so my side project is my relief. :) Plus it's fun to have ideas come from two different places.

-MIA