KrimsonKatt

The Endless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mario Kart Wii. I played over 1000 hours on this as a kid. I still have the disk to this day with my save files intact with 98% completion. Could never beat them expert ghosts. They were tough as bricks and as fast as a hyperactive squirrel on G Fuel. I will keep that game forever and I still play it from time to time. Another nostalgic game system in my childhood wasn't so good however...

bjenks

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final Fantasy VIII will always be my favorite game of all time. However, Final Fantasy X is a very close second. I've replayed them many many times, and I'm still impressed.

vap0re0n

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I could include 3 games for 1; Mass Effect Trilogy - perfect as a whole.
Otherwise, Dragon Age: Origins.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a tough one, there are a lot of games I came to love over the years, but I'd go for Knights of the Old Republic.
Despite all the flaws, it was an amazing experience back then, and the starting point for some other Bioware stuff I really enjoyed (Jade Empire, Mass Effect, The Old Republic). It was also my first step into Star Wars extended universe, as I came to enjoy Drew Karpyshyn SF writings in games and books.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have 4.

-Final Fantasy VI
-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
-Metroid
-Legends of Zelda

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Dragon Quest 3 for me, especially the SFC and GBC remakes.

I'd played 1 & 2 on the Gameboy Color and they're fun, but it was DQ3 that made me fall in love with the series. A lot of staples for the series were codified in the third entry. Being able to pick your party and even change vocations was fun, and each character type had their own niche to fulfill. The simple narrative for towns and their problems worked well for the silent party. The gameplay, from exploring a gradually-expanding world to new spells and varied equipment, starts you off slow and easy but broadens in scope as you master it. Lastly, the bosses are a rare but real threat, and are some of the only times you need to grind in a casual play. It barely felt like you needed to grind all the time, unlike the prior two games.

The fact that they announced a remake months ago is what has sold me on trying to grab a Switch next year with tax returns. |3

My other top two games are Final Fantasy Tactics and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. My top fave in order seems to fluctuate between those three.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I don't personally have a favorite. I kind of don't believe in the concept of the best ever or having a favorite, but there are plenty of games that I really do admire.

CastleDUSKULL

The Doctor
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can't really select one singular game to be the #1 favourite, but I can list a couple of games I've adored over the years, and even ones that I'm playing now? I'll just do that assuming it's allowed.
  • The Urbz, Sims in the City: A guilty pleasure, to be honest. The plot is very cheesy, and the soundtrack including songs by the Black Eyed Peas are earworms, but the game is still entertaining.
  • Columns: One of my late mother's favourite games. As simple as the gameplay and premise is, this particular game is highly addictive, making matches and inadvertently performing combos. I haven't made it very far yet, but I vaguely remember mother getting to level 50 - 70.
  • Decap Attack: A morbid western reskin of a beloved platformer from Japan (I think that was called "The Magical Turban"?) Anyway, I like using the different vials for the various effects, and the soundtrack? A banger.
  • Poyo Poyo / Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: I'm not particularly good at this game, but it's pretty fun all the same. Unlike Columns where you match three in a row, you have to bunch four of the same coloured Poyos (or Beans, as DRMBM calls them). Also unlike Columns, planning combos in this game is a lot easier.
  • TANT-R: A compilation of brief minigames. They mostly have a Japanese theme, which makes sense since it used to be exclusive to Japan until the early 2000's where it was rereleased in a compilation on the PlayStation 2.
  • Drawn to Life: A game where you draw your own player character! I love games that do this! Looking past the ability to draw your own props and weapons, the story is really intriguing, revolving around this town of Raposa being threatened by the outlier Wilbur (I think that's his name) and his darkness, which is deadly in this universe.
  • Mario Kart DS / Wii: Solid racing games (in my opinion). Mario Kart DS I've played to death back in 2005 - 2006. The tracks are memorable, the soundtrack is catchy, and the karts are nicely varied and neatly designed. This was also my introduction to the undead koopa Dry Bones. My older brother told me to try this character out at the time since I was always picking Yoshi in every game and wanted me to play as someone else for once. To his credit, this did work, but this also got me super attached to Dry Bones, making him my new favourite character that I would play as in every game he was available in. There's something so captivating about this particular character - his morbid yet cute appearance, his muted colours (save for his eyes), his voice (varying from a xylophone to a parrot choking to death), his ability to put himself back together after falling to pieces... I liked everything about this new character, and I still do now. Mario Kart Wii I can say much of the same of as DS, only this time we have Bikes as well as karts. And Dry Bones? He's even cuter than he was in DS.
  • Little BIG Planet: Another creative game. You control a doll-like character called a Sackboy who you can dress up and decorate. You can either play through the story, play levels that people online have made, or create your own levels on your moon. A lot of good memories were made in this game and its direct sequel Little BIG Planet 2. Sadly, I no longer own a PlayStation 3, so I cannot play these.
  • WarioWare Touched! / Smooth Moves: Silly, but very, very fun. Another series of consecutive microgames with varying controls.
  • Soul Calibur III / IV / V: I'm not a huge Soul Calibur, but as soon as I was able to create my own characters, I was all over it. I always had a lot of fun making my own fighters with different fighting styles, whether they were unique, or based off of established characters from anime or games. Out of these three, SCIII would be my absolute favourite due to nostalgia and the Chronicle of the Sword mode.
  • Legasista: I don't really remember the story on this, but I do remember the in-depth character creation system. You could decide on how they act, what class they are, what voice they have, and the most notable part - being able to draw your own character sheet. You could do this ingame, or you can go on a drawing program that allows transparent PNG files (I used Paint.NET when I still played). I hope to see more games that give you this option.
  • Five Nights at Freddy's 2: An unpopular opinion, but I like the FNAF series just fine, despite all the controversies and the rabid fanbase. I like the 2nd game best to feeling that I have the most control in it. Note: Mangle is my favourite animatronic.
  • Cuphead, Don't Deal With The Devil: The famously (or imfamously) difficult boss rush / run and gun game with traditional animation! I immediately feel in love with this game due to its artistic direction matching the 1930's rubberhose cartoons. I'm not great at it, but it's made so well that I don't mind that too much.
  • Medievil: A PlayStation classic. The controls are a bit awkward sometimes, though this does not overshadow the story, the grim graphics, or the beautiful soundtrack! Also, the character Sir Daniel Fortesque is very endearing.
  • ToonTown Corporate Clash: I've only started playing this year, but this is pretty nostalgic. This is an MMORPG where Toons fight against the Corporate Cogs. Not the most popular game, but still engaging.
  • Friday Night Funkin': This game isn't particularly popular anymore due to the fandom and constant drama. The base game is pretty neat, being reminiscent of DDR and Parappa the Rapper. Its soundtrack is very nicely made, gameplay is engaging, and the characters are vibrant. What drew me in completely however was how mod-friendly it is. You can draw over the preexisting characters, or you can fire up Adobe Animate and create your own XML files for the game. I still like the mods for this game, but I do wish it stayed niche.

Apologies for such a long list, but I couldn't just pick one.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You thought kids rooms were messy. Look at this.
Back in the house and I'm hungry
Yoshi!
DNPwhy.gif

You're using that item wrong... TwT

Trying to get the mechanics down for a cute, story-driven board game! I think I've accomplished dice movement, item effects, and activating a space's event when you land on it. Art is WIP. Hope to open a thread about the game soon!
My entire family and I have Covid... If it's this bad with the vaccine, without must be terrible. Stay safe, everyone. This thing is a doozy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meekaachrive