Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Fairly simple question.

I'm wondering if the average MV/MZ developer has node.js installed on their machine for whatever reason.

Ideally i'm looking for replies from non programmers, because quite frankly, if you claim to be a programmer, and are using MV or MZ without node.js installed, your not doing it right.

Anyway, do you have it? if yes, what do you use it for?? :)

Hyouryuu-Na

Sapphire Sodium
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't originally have it installed and wasn't planning on doing it either. But recently as I've started to become a bit more interested in coding and implementing new things in my game, I had to go and get a dropbox node module/package whatever you call it and ended up installing node.js in the process. And now it's just there...

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
so your not really using it, but its there. I suspect most rm devs could be the same (if they have it installed) :D

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you claim to be a programmer, and are using MV or MZ without node.js installed, your not doing it right.
Wrong.
Custom made node.js modules are incompatible with nw.js and need to be compiled using nw-gyp, not node-gyp. Also, node.js is essentially a localhost server. Therefore unless you're creating a multiplayer game of sorts, I don't see why would you need to have node.js installed.

Anyway, unless you're a programmer, you usually don't have a single need to have node.js installed. So I don't think an average MV/MZ user would have it.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Who said anything about writing modules for nwjs? :D
Node does more than just 'be a server' after all, nwjs uses node itself.

But yea, I also think there is a slim chance the average rm dev has even heard of node.js :D

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
quite frankly, if you claim to be a programmer, and are using MV or MZ without node.js installed, your not doing it right.
That's kind of a silly statement. I hope you're just being facetious. I have no JS needs outside of RM, and a basic IDE is all you really need to 'program' in MV or MZ.

Also, you spelled you're wrong. If you're spelling it in this context as 'your', you're not doing it right. Btw, I was just being facetious there :guffaw:

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not asking about js needs, or writing nwjs modules, or even programming in mv or mz. I'm only asking if you have node.js installed on your machine. There could be a number of reasons why you might have done this (outside of rm). Granted, most of those reasons would be related to programming in some way, but for example, there might be some application that you use, that requires node js to be installed on your machine for w.e reason.

I mean, anyone running mac or linux most likely has node js installed whether they know it or not.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do, but not for RPG Maker purposes. I ran a Discord server with my own custom bot for a while that was built on it. I'm not a programmer, I just looked up tutorials and copy / pasted code over, only altering the parts I needed to be unique for my server.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Another fair use for it. Some Discord bots are incredibly fun to mess around with :D

I'm curious, did you find it a bother to install/setup? (node itself, not the bot :p)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, all the basics went pretty easily. There are a lot of clear tutorials on how to set up something simple.

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've not yet found any need to use node.js. I don't see that node.js is required for a programmer to use RMMV. I got RMMV simply due to the sheer speed advantage of making an RPG over using a generic engine. If I have a project that requires node.js then RMMV probably isn't the best choice for that project and I'd probably use Unity or Godot as I'm quite comfortable with C# - most of the javascript I've done has been purely web page stuff and honestly haven't done much of that for over 15 years. If I was seriously hard core I'd write my own engine but there's that time thing that rears its ugly head with that route.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is node.js look like? Also @Milennin, are you having the discord? Can I join you?
@??????, why do we need node.js? Convince us maybe we want to install it into the computer?

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use node.js for visual studio code to test the basics of plugins I am writing and making sure they work before porting them into mv, but outside of that I've never used it for MV itself.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not here to convince you to install it.
If you have no need, there is no need :D

I'm just trying to figure out if non programmers have it installed for any reason :p

side note: yea, writing things entirely from scratch is no quick solution in most cases :(

Ahuramazda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would not call myself a programmer by any means (MZ is the first engine I've started actually learning to ACTUALLY code with instead of simple edits and franken-coding), but I have ported my entire YEP library and several other plugins from MV->MZ myself and I have no idea what you are referring to when "doing it wrong" for not using node.js

I did the entire thing using only notepad++ and data from the MZ console. So please tell me HOW I did it wrong ;)

But seriously, I don't know what Node.js is nor have I ever used it, so I guess this is a matter of to each his/her own in this case? If you want it or need it, use it. Otherwise I say you do you. :D

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@??????, is that your intention?

That would be helpful for the beginner and advanced programmer in senses it saves time for them.

Also relating to the security:

Also online server:

@Kino seems like he is really specialized on this subject. You might want to talk with him.

Last edited:

Hyouryuu-Na

Sapphire Sodium
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so your not really using it, but its there. I suspect most rm devs could be the same (if they have it installed) :D
Yeah, I'm not using it ^^; I'm not an actual programmer even though I'm a cse student... so maybe I'm not ready to have a use for it yet? I don't really need to engage with js outside of MV, so if I have to write bits of code, I use notepad++ XD But honestly, I don't know what node.js is used for... can you tell? I'm genuinely curious.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To quote ElGoogle:
Node. js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily building fast and scalable network applications. Node. js uses an event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run across distributed devices.

(actual quote src: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/nodejs/nodejs_introduction.htm)
Basically, node js allows you to write applications using javascript. That application could be a web server, it could be a basic calculator type thing, it could be the nwjs runtime that rm uses, or even the windows executable that vs code, discord, and many more use (yes, vs code and discord run on node.js and the electron framework for app building).

Side note: Notepad++ is great. I used to use it a long time ago - still occasionally take some notes with it. But for anything advanced I'd highly recommend either visual studio code, or sublime text 3 (recommended in that order, both are free).

Hyouryuu-Na

Sapphire Sodium
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh I see! That's really wide range of applications :0
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been wanting to switch to something that could pinpoint syntax errors ^^

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
np. vs code is awesome. it does so so so much with almost 0 effort. (press ctrl+k+t to change color theme, for example)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished up building the last of my furniture! It's so nice to finally have my own place :kaoluv:

Slaving away at more maps. :LZSwink:
Accidentally zoomed the browser in on the forums page, here... and I think I'm going to just leave it. #OldPeopleProblems
Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam Winners announcements start now! Live on stream! See who won!
so, I've begun the process of restructuring my game's base setup entirely after feeling disheartened with progress and talking to a friend. I think I'm headed in the right direction now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zachmaw