Do you have noncombat party members in your games?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Between the village-bound NPC and a full-on party member lies the non-combat party member. The good examples of NCPMs are Octopath Traveler, Fire Emblem, Moonlighter [2018], and Dragon Quest 1&3. Thank you for contributing to the conversation.

How you implement those types of members? [Do you use the simple events and the class database, the plugin or coding by yourself]

For example, the merchant class, I think of the party can have a discount state when buy items from the store. [I am ok with the use of continual branches.]

@bgillisp, talked about Forced Action button, I can use the knowledge to create a sabotage skill for my spy class. That is a good result.

Is anyone play Doom and Destiny and Pokemon? I think about limited the party members, so the players have to choose who the player takes to explore new dungeons. The player can change that latter after the exploration finished.

@Kes, Shadows, and Lies game, I also interested in the acrobat class conditional check which you can access hidden treasures other class cannot. Do you ask how you do it? But what do you think is good or bad?

In the Pokemon, outside the battles skills are cut, rock smash, and flash. Do you like this or you think it too annoying?

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't, but if I do, I wouldn't add them as a party member. There is no need to include them in the actual party. The function to see their stat and all is unnecessary. They only need to exist in the relevant cut-scene.

Mystic_Enigma

Just bear with me!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I (plan to) have an Non-fighting ally that you can choose to have tag along. They don't count towards your actor count, but certain tasks will only be possible if they are around.

I use simple Switch events that determine whether they are with you or not, and have certain events that will trigger if they are.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen, thank you for taking your time for me. But, the characters are an merchant and an spy. They have passive states and skills. You see I do my homework before asking people questions.

The function to see their stat and all is unnecessary.
You are right. I see so I do not overflow the screen with the party members.

@Mystic_Enigma, thank you for taking your time out from your busy game making to talk to me.

For the implementation, l use the Hime' guess follower. For the story logic process, I think about so if you are the murderers...no no the heroes, that character won't be allowed to join the Oregon trail. That doesn't make sense to me. What wrong with try to help the heroes another ways. Not everyone suit the warrior mentality.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I had two party members in my last game who never fights in battles, the first one the explanation for them is they manage the supplies and such as by that point the party is pretty big, and the second party member is only there short term after an incident until you get them somewhere safe.

in both cases, none were ever in the party screens, I just had them show up in the cutscenes.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp, thank you for your time and congratulations on your new game release: the Book of Shadow.

in both cases, none were ever at the party screens, I just had them show up in the cutscenes.
I plan to use allow the skills of non-combats to be accessed in the menus. That is what did you say. You are doing passive states or skills. I am lost. The merchant class would be ok to just use the cutscenes, but the spy needs to use like ambush or stealth. They are not auto skills which are outside the battle.

Last edited:

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not actually implemented yet per se, but I have planned gameplay segments where you take control of sub-characters that are non-combatants that find themselves in dangerous situations, so they technically count as temporary party members. The aim is exploration/puzzle-solving while to avoid battles whenever necessary and finding a way to flee when you are actually thrown into a fight, basically the same as helpless horror RPG protagonists.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nope, mine non-combat members had no skills or nothing, they were just there. It was explained that one of them did things like the cooking and such though and other logistics that were needed for a large group, but they had no battle skills or battle value at all.

However, I did learn that in ACE you can use force action on actors not in the party as long as they are in the database. Granted they will never level up unless you manually level them up so maybe you could use that if you want someone to give battle benefits?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp, thank you, it is great to know about force action. I can use the skill of the enemies outside the battle. That would solve the majority of problems. I will just wait for more people to see how innovative ways of their implementation of out of battle interactive. Thank you :kaohi:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I dunno about outside battle, I used it inside battle in troop events for party members not in the battle party though.

Still if you want to ask more on how to implement this I'd start a thread in the support section for the maker you wish to do this in.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp, ok, I changed my mind. Please move this thread to the RPG Maker MV section. Maybe that would prove to be more beneficial. Thank you.
I just discovered in the RPG maker mv that you can do outside of the battle too! That is why I am excited. RPG Maker products operated similarly in the term of event and variable system. I am conflicted, so what is your suggestion?:rswt

However, I am kind of asking yes and no questions so it should stay here. [You see I change my mind every minute.]

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, I'll move it there. Everyone this is now a how do I question so please post how to implement this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON