Do you keep to default dimensions?

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
While developing your project do you like to keep to the default dimensions for resources?
Basically depending on your engine of choice do you like to keep things as they were meant to be, or bring outside resources in that have to be worked around to get it to work. Example being face graphics have gotten bigger, if you're working with MV/MZ and you'd bring in earlier graphic sizes of say XP. On the flip side working with XP and get those larger face graphics in there from MZ/MV.

Just curious as to the thoughts and advantages of doing such a thing. Not necessarily for face graphics, just the first thing that came into my head, could be characters, tiles or anything really.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that totally how you build it,
for screen, I dont use default, for tileset default size.
for faces (I dont use), but other use busts, which is outside faces.

FrigidGaze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For the most part I keep to most of the default sizes for the assets just for the sake of convenience when getting new sprites made, building off of the existing templates and such. Though I do turn the resolution up to 1280 x 720, as I use a large number of illustrations and it hurts my soul to crunch them down too much, haha.

fop

Secret Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I almost wish I was the type of person to stick to default sizes--it would be so much easier!

But, no. I'm using 32x32 tilesets in MV with the help of plugins, taller sprites and bigger battlers (all of which I had to make), weird sized text boxes and faces, smaller widescreen screen size... I really changed everything. :dizzy:

The advantage is that my game really looks different from other RPGMaker games, and I love that about it. The engine is capable of so much, but I feel many just don't push it to those limits. Disadvantage is, clearly, nothing can be used out of the box for me; I have to custom make just about everything.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can hopefully move onto doing visual effects and sound design now. :kaophew:

The latest RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue starts now! Let's jump into Kamigami: Clash of the Gods!

Title Screen 100% Finished
Evangeline.png
I'm starting to enjoy doing pixel art! Not to mention it's getting easier to do commissions :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s666wiki