Do you know about No Man's Sky? What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Astel, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    No Man's Sky is an space exploration game, which since it's initial reveal amassed a massive hype from everyone, youtubers, videogame journalists, and general public. The game promised to give us a practically infinite universe to explore, with very complex mechanics and interactions... it was thought to be the game to end all games, and the hype was so strong that the real game never had a chance...

It didn't help that the main developer of the game was so excited with his project that he become overconfident and promised way to much, or made statements so vague that the public took them and hype them even more... when the game was finally released the backlash was immense, NMS crashed and burned like no game ever before... Hello Games the company behind the game went completely silent while the hate and mockery reached levels never seen before.

However when nobody was expecting it, HG came back to like with a trailer... the trailer for the first free expansion for the game, called 1.1 "Foundation" Update, which added base building, giant freighter ships, new mechanics, and new game modes.

After that two more updates where added

1.2 "Pathfinder" adding land vehicles, along with new features and better graphics

1.3 "Atlas Rises"which brings a new story mode, also the bases to multiplayer (which is underwhelming but was promising), portal, and many new features.

With this 3 updates the game became closer to the original vision, yet most gamers refused to give to the updated game the benefit of the doubt, however a small but dedicated fanbase remained loyal to NMS for 2 long years defending the game from all the trolls and haters...

Now, after 2 years we got new announcements... the game was going to be released for Xbox One, and a new update was going to be released, the most massive update ever, so big that it would be called "No Man's Sky NEXT"

https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/03/no-mans-sky-next/

We don't know much about the update, other that it will bring the game even closer to the original concept, but that doesn't stop people from once again overhyping the game. The NEXT update is planned to be released July 24 along with the Xbox version.

What do you thing about all this? It's a waste of time to keep updating the game? Did you knew about NMS, did you try the game and hated it? Do you think that NMS and HG deserves another chance?

Jhale M. likes this.
  2. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralphâ„¢ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The game was massively overhyped like Spore and it turned out to be an even more boring, repetitive and tedious mess in the end.
    I admire the developers for not running away with the cash or giving up though, instead they are doing their best to keep improving the game and make it decent.
    Sadly I think it's a bit too late, regardless of the improvements, too many people lost the initial hype and interest.

Another thing that really bothers me about it is the price, they still ask 30 bucks for it. Really? This thing costs more than Subnautica, which is a far superior game.

The Mighty Palm likes this.
  3. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well... I respect the game, but I think Spore made it earlier and made it better.

4. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No Mans Sky should have been a great lesson in humility. Id say the game industry learned from it, but the industry never does and hype culture is just as toxic as it ever was.

Jhale M. likes this.
  5. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    There are two things to learn from NMS case:
    1. Don't over-hype
    2. Don't give up.

As for myself, I am not a big fans of the game. It's not my genre anyway....

VioletSpark likes this.
  6. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love the idea of exploring, but the actual gameplay was kinda meh.

I hated that the first planet I was on had enemies trying to kill me. I'm here to explore, not fight.

7. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And... we finally have the trailer for NEXT but as I said before... don't hype the game! Always remain skeptical, wait for reviews and many opinions before deciding that "X" game is going to be the best thing ever.
    That's the best lesson that can be learned from this.

8. stoovan

stoovan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually enjoy no mans sky now after that next update. It just needed more time. After all, this is suppose to be a big ass game.

consolcwby and Astel like this.
  9. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think some huge mistakes were made both in the devs and the community hyping it up.
    Behavior displayed on both sides was below par IMO.
    The game itself had and has great potential but if it will ever live up to it? I don't know.

Astel likes this.
  10. Aniknk

Aniknk Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Astel
    Sorry but "Do you know about No Man's Sky?" feel like you were some kind of Jehovah's witness. Also, you should add "Could we talk about it?" in the end, not "What are your thoughts?". Yeah, but game is. Interesting.