Do you organize your projects?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I make sure to plan in as much detail as I can in a doc before I start, but once I'm working on a game, I don't really keep track of events and variables beyond naming them. I end up changing things on the fly anyway. It helps that my game is split into small chunks.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Only recently I started naming all my events and honestly for a slight bit more work, I can now figure out what exactly event #42069 does.

I also use blank maps as folders (until whoever develops RPGM makes an engine with folders and map organization a features). Name black maps such as "Towns" or "Dungeons" and just plop 'em right in. Also try to stack the maps in order of how the player goes through them or as you make them.

RomVHS

NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I tend to keep a whiteboard or two on hand when it comes to keeping track of important events and mechanics. Although I prefer to write things down with pen and paper, whiteboards are easy to erase, add to, and rewrite with (even though I could probably use a spreadsheet and the like--). When I'm more than set with an idea of things I definitely want to happen and keep track of, then I'll move it to paper, and refine things even more on a text document.

My method is unnecessarily longwinded, but my brain works in mysterious ways I guess... haha!

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I only have one project, but there's a bunch of data to keep track of so I have multiple word and notepad documents to keep track of everything, and none of it has to with plot/story, as I keep all of that in my head. I more so keep info down that is too numerous or data heavy to remember. For example, in my game every NPC changes text and location at main event, so I created a big document with each NPC's location for each switch, because that would be way too much to memorize, and it helps me quickly find where each person is during which event.

Other organization files include locations for weapons/armors, key items, what type of enemies go in which dungeon so I have a quick list to find rather than having to dig through the database for such info. For me it's most helpful to just have lists of information that will be easily available when I need it. Anything regarding story or similar I rely on myself to remember, which I am pretty good with.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Whenever I start on a new chapter, it doesn't feel like the next episodes, but more like sequels :)
It can be frustrating that so many commercial games have used up titles that might otherwise be great for a project.
Light up explosions with QABS and Community Lighting.
qcPQHt9.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epitaph78