Do you play mobile games?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TheoAllen, Oct 5, 2019.

1. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And a list of questions to answer
    • What kind of games do you play if you play mobile games?
    • Do you think mobile games are a "valid" video game whenever a question like "your favorite video games" comes up?
    • What do you think about the current mobile games?
    • How mobile games should be designed?
    • Also, what do you think about mobile games in general?
    I like mobile games as a time-waster, whenever I'm bored but not in a desktop mode, or when waiting for something. And it should be interruptable whenever I feel like it. However, many mobile games nowadays enslave their players and demand to play every day or some even punish you from interrupting the gameplay. I do want to like mobile games, but most of them just have the wrong design, at least for my needs.

Hyouryuu-Na and LTN Games like this.
  2. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I play puzzle games, like sudoku. I've played one Clash of Clans style game before, got super into for like a week and then wanted nothing to do with it.
    I think if you grew up with consoles and pc gaming, especially if you can remember like, Tiger Games or Arcades when they were common, it's gonna be hard to ever see mobile games as valid, I think.

Just because the only thing that seems to be the same is the fact that they're video games. The device you play them on, the way you acquire them, the sheer availability is all drastically different from the pc/console experience.

I don't think mobile is going anywhere. If anything, it penetrated the 'traditional' market by making Free To Play a common thing and making micro transactions come very close to being a standardized console/pc game experience.

The design part doesn't have super solid conventions yet. We still don't fully know what to do with touch screens, we tend to just poke and swipe, not track or do other motions very often. other than the typical zoom.

I never like the feel of UI's on phones, I feel like they're too laggy and just overall never feel responsive like a keypress or a button press.

As far as begin mentioned on fav games lists, I say if its what you love, mention it. But I'm currently in favor of talking about them separately. Unless a game is on PC AND Consoles, we tend to say 'Best of Console' and 'Best of PC', so I say use 'Best of Mobile'. But I'm all for taking it seriously. In general, if it's working and it's popular, the people have spoken.

3. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I started playing them ever since I needed to spend a lot of time in the bus from and to work.
    • Gotten into a few of the gacha games, because I'm a sucker for pretty pictures and collecting stuff. Also liking the fact a lot of them are turn-based, something a lot of games on other platforms are shying away from.
    • I don't look down on anyone's favourite type of game. A game's a game, no matter what it's played on.
    • I don't think I play enough of them to say what they're like in general. The few I've played have been pretty fun.
    • They should be designed in ways so they're fun to the people who play them, like any game should.
    • They have their pros and cons. I like that they get updated regularly, so you always have new things to look forward to, and you get to build up your units and collect a bunch of stuff over time. I like the routine aspect of logging in daily, but it does make it hard to try out others because it gets time consuming to keep up with more than one and you don't get a good feel of the game by playing it for just an hour or two.

4. Lilly

Lilly Joy Bringer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    • I play Kingdom Hearts X mostly just for the story...Puzzle & Dragons and Beyblade Burst game apps.
    • I think that mobile games are a valid game, but any mobile game probably wouldn't pop up in my favorite games list. XD!
    • Love em'! Beyblade Burst Rivals allows beyblade to not just be spinning tops and stuff, cause you can control the speed and motion of your bey.
    • I think that they need to upgrade mobile games to be more playable in general, like Gravity Rush, Kingdom Hearts or Legend Of Zelda.
    • I like most mobile games because they're free and are still as good as maybe a game I might've played from the RPG Maker Forums.
      Playing whenever and wherever I want is mostly the best part, I'm not bound to one room with a console or pc, I can move around the house and do chores!

5. BlitzMalachite

BlitzMalachite The Masterminded Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    • :kaoangry:I mostly play RPG's on my family member's phones because WHY NOT?
    • I also like this game because its Pokémon like and its ADORABLE!
    • I used to play Japanese Dance Games such as Dance Off & Dance Club. (Sadly those games are deleted now.) :(
    • Also there RPG Maker MV games on the play store now. So i get my chance to play some more RPGS!
    k.
    [/QUOTE]
    You mean the games by Lunime, or other gacha games?

6. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    • I tend to like free collection games with famous licences (Star Wars, Marvel...)
    • I wouldn't myself, but I know there are some decent games on mobile.
    • There's a lot of choice and some interesting new ideas every once in a while.
    • They should be designed like any mobile game, easy to start and stop at any time.
    • I appreciate that it let me play a bit while having a busy life. However most of the "free" games out there tend to just stop as soon as the money stops coming in, which makes those games pretty unreliable. I miss beeing able to spend time playing on a proper PC/console game.

7. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    • I tend to play mostly idle games or rpgs. Action games, first/third person shooters and real time strategy games just feel to clunky with their controls or implementation.
    • I would think that mobile games are valid video games. As time changes, so do platforms. Consoles to computers to mobile to ?.
    • From what I can tell, there a quite a few mobile games that are nothing more than cash grabs. So many different pay walls just to advance further or unlock features that are absolutely needed.
    • My current opinion about mobile design should be that developers should have the player's best interest in mind. That is: easy of use, easy to navigate, and fluid control schemes.

standardplayer likes this.
  8. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced girl who is on a break Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla/Bengali
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ●None of the games I play last more than 3 days on my phone. I may play any arcade game having a rating of more than 4.2 if the description interests me. But I guess I play endless runners and puzzle games more.
    ●Depends on how much a game is able to leave a long term impression on the player. A few years ago I played limbo and it's honestly a masterpiece. At that time it was definitely my faviourite game. And FNAF is a lot of people's fav game franchise too.
    ●Current mobile games... some are great. All sorts of new ideas are popping up in these games. It's refreshing to see. But some games are... horrible. Trash. I will not name any but the ones that you may see on ads and are nothing that is advertised really piss me off. At least keep your word about the features.
    ●Dedication and morales. Just a tiny bit of care and dedication really solves it. I've seen many money hungry devs out there stealing people's works, relabeling them as their own, just making replicas of other games with nothing new to provide. They should be sincere and try to do something good.
    #I really hate the 'log-in everyday to receive gifts/presents/bonuses' thing. I may not be able to log-in every single day. I may be busy, I could forget. Okay, maybe that feature can stay. But one failure to log-in resets the chain. Say you're in day-3. You're supposed to gain 500 gold today and the greatest gift is 10000 gold at day-7. You forgot to log-in. You have to start over from day-1. That's just BS. There should be a way to continue.
    #some games like choose your romance, otome games etc. are just... *sigh* I used to LOVE them as an adolescent teen. Everyday you get 5 ticket and use 1 ticket to read a chapter. Guess what- it takes max 5-7 mins to finish all the chapters. That's about all you get for 1 day. You even have to buy tickets with real money. They don't regenerate over time like 1 ticket regenerates in 2 hours or anything like that. How about making longer chapters?
    #Some Online games just kick you out if you accidentally disconnect in the middle of a battle. Some games even take away whatever you money you earned while you were playing. You can have a bad internet connection, someone might be talking to you, you might need to use the restroom- anything could happen! I say, there should be a time limit like 'be back in 2 mins or you get kicked out' and let the player keep what they have earned.
    #Some games have bad way to check if you used stuff. I once used a ticket to read a chapter in an otome game. The connection was bad. The chapter wasn't unlocked. -_- And I wasted a ticket.
    ● Mobile games are great! Your phone is designed to stay in your hands. It's portable so mobile games are a great way to pass your time if you don't have anything to do. Even a simple game like snake in the old phones can keep us entertained for a long time. So, games don't have to very fancy or filled with features. They just have to be enjoyable. I've uninstalled so many games cause of monotonous game play and nowadays I don't even play games that much. But I think these are all the things I can say to answer your question.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    standardplayer likes this.
  9. Zinapse

Zinapse This title isn't as cool as everyone else's Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OSRS has a mobile client. ;)
    Besides that, a game called Merchant on the Google Play Store is pretty sweet, and free.
    Then there's a developer "Trese Brothers" that makes some good games on the Play Store as well, and are also (mostly) free. The ones I play from them are "Age of Pirates RPG" and "Cyber Knights RPG".

10. Skoops

Skoops Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I play a few, but usually it's for train rides or short wait times where bringing my Switch would be a bit much. Saying my SNES/GBA emulators are my favorite might be a bit of a cop out, but I also play Hearthstone and PUBG Mobile.

I think they get more legit as time goes on; there's a big stigma against them all being casual and "pay to win," and that's certainly true of a lot of them, but I think consumer attitudes are getting more demanding of quality and more weary and impatient with predatory business structures, just as they are with loot boxes in PC/console games.

Design-wise, it depends, but I like the idea of games that make use of phone functionality in ways that make them unique (like gps for Pokemon Go, etc). The apps that keep my attention are generally ones that feel like a touch screen enhances the experience rather than needs to be worked around (Hearthstone is a good example of how smooth touch controls make it better than mouse controls). Fast load times and a low-strain background idle/suspend mode are desirable, but that's more on the engineering side.

I'm of the mind that, though they generally aren't for me, they're a net positive for gaming in general. For people that can't afford or don't find it worth it to own a PC or console (so, the vast majority of the world) mobile games have significantly lowered the barrier of entry to gaming. That can only be a good thing.

11. Zinapse

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah the whole "loot box" situation has been getting push back finally, but it's already happened and so many games are adopting this monetization structure. I agree most mobile games are pay to win, that's why I like single-player mobile games mostly. That said, there are obviously games out there that have monetization but it's limited to "cosmetics" (this is true for all games, not just mobile games). I don't have a problem with cosmetics, as long as it's not in a "loot box" style drop. If you can choose what you want it's not as gamble-y, but the gambling part of it is where I kind of draw the line.

12. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have the new Play pass so yeah I do. I usually play incremental/clicker type games, Terraria, and Minecraft.

13. Zinapse

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh hello there fellow glider. (profile pic :LZYcool:)

14. wander

wander Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    yes I play mobine games quite often. Candy Crash and Clash of Clans are my favs

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Mobile? No. I play on my 3DS instead if I'm on the go.

16. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I play mobile games, most of them have been gacha ones and/or idle ones. Practically the games that you can play for just a short while during small breaks etc.

Right now though, Im also playing a mobile MMO because I cant play PC/PS4 MMOs right now because I only have my data connection, and playing and/or updates of PC/PS4 MMOs would cost me a lot of data charge.

I also have a 3DS and a Switch but I cant really bring them as much as my phone, especially to my work..

17. hero_buddy

hero_buddy artist and pro cat petter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i get into mobage from time to time. i was really into fire emblem: heroes back in 2017, and by that, i mean that i lived and breathed that game. i'm slowly getting back into it too, hahaha... help me... gacha is hell.

anyway! i was also really into love live for a time, too, since i am all about living that cute girl life. i was also playing the eternal senia mobage for a little bit, too, since i wanted some closure on the story, but i guess i'm not too hugely into tappers. it's a well done little app though, and i appreciate the fact that it exists.

18. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Mostly waifu gacha games :kaoswt:
    Not really, they are in a category apart for me :kaoswt2:
    They are designed to scam people :kaosalute:
    Not to scam people :kaohi:
    They get boring after a couple of months :kaoslp:

warrenlucero likes this.
  19. warrenlucero

warrenlucero Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Educational video games. Lol. Guess what? Minecraft p.e - mobile apk file on apknite.
    Most of the video game has a changing aspect.
    Too many ads.
    It doesn't matter. Now, there are mobile phones can run high graphic.
    Play everywhere, whatever position you are, haha.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  20. Eric_SD-RPG-Studio

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio Writer - Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Mobile games are similar to "free" PC MMORPGs. Some games are free to play, yet you have to spend thousands to be competitive. I currently have no games on my phones. The only game that I spend cash on was Middle Earth Shadow of War last year.