Do you prefer violence game or lighthearted game?

How to you tolerance of violence screen?

• Total voters

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really think this one is an idiot question. But, I ask anyway. It is no way on earth that I read your mind and translates into graphs.

I understand we play both types of games. sometimes we play violent games; sometimes we play lighthearted/ relax games.
I understand any genuine people. Yes, well-done games are preference by you all. However, it is up to players to decide.

More importantly how tolerance of violence are you? [I can kind of generalized that younger player has lower tolerance than an adolescent player, but less than an adult player.] But I would like to hear what you are saying. Maybe it sparks an idea in my head and plus others can use to because it is a survey.
I mean how much is it too far you to feel traumatized.
  1. No blood / just a little red mark
  2. A little blood / a little cut
  3. Full bloodshed/ cut off body parts

Thank you for giving me new ideas everyday.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No preference. I can stand with full gore with body parts send flying, I have no problem with mild video game violence or management games that has no violence. I won't say the full gore is going to be my preference. I just have no problem with it.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tend to prefer no blood or a little blood. If it's gotta be dark, I prefer other means of doing so.

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A dark, serious main plot. Sprinkle some humor (preferably dark) here and there in it, and that's what I like to see. Blood, no blood, fine with both.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HexMozart88, thank for taking surveys and responding back to me.

Please help me understand. if it is funny, you do like no blood or a little blood. But if it is serious story, you prefer fully blood. Or vice-versa. I just want to make sure. Thank you.

Last edited:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If it's a serious story, a little bit of blood and the story itself is dark.

EDIT: It's not that I'm squeamish, it's just that when blood gets excessive, I find it laughable rather than scary.

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen, thank you for your comment.
@Zliryu, thank you for your comment.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The violence normalcy I think to emphasize that you work is not for the weak and cruel without saying it.

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm totally fine w/ blood and gore, but it's really psychological torture/trauma that gets to me...

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends on the game. If I'm killing zombies or demons, there better be gore. I want to see them get ripped apart. That's part of the fun of those kind of games. For a typical RPG, its fine as long as it isn't overused. Blood can be useful as a means to show that something/someone is dead or badly injured. Pretty sure there's lots of tropes around that.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@staf00, thank you for explaining your response.
@Windows i7, thank you for your input.
I like the zombie shooting games too. You might like to look into Rebuild3: Gangs of Deadsvile. It is combined a zombie shooting and a building game together.

H***ai [adult] games did that a lot. I think exaggeration to unreal to make things silly or humor. So players don't take the game seriously because of the narrative of the game. Thank you again for your response.

Last edited:

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I mean how you are too much for you to get traumatized.
We mean how they are too much for me to get traumatized.
XD
I mean this with 100% honesty, I am always so happy to read posts from you, @Kupotepo
There's no way for this to not sound sarcastic, but you bring a lot of happiness my way.

I like blood, though, in games. No idea why, been that way since I was a kid. Not a particularly violent person. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's probably some kind of immersion thing.
Someone being struck down is grating to me in a physical sense, even when the act is meant to convey more of an emotional impact in a story. Going to the physical level, if you've ever been there or on the receiving end of it, is a very real and passionate act, usually with bad-horrifying results.
When they bleed, or things break, that drives the impact home for me. It increases the meaning of the physical aspect of what's happening in physical-combat scenes for me.

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it is my comment not other
I say something about you thought too much you need to confident on your choice bla bla bla
but then I realize it general discussion
then that is just insulting people…
so I deleted my comment
Ok, It is just misunderstood. :kaopride:I thought you are getting mad or something. It is my bad.
Yeah, you are right that you delete that it is kind of insulting. That is a smart and quick decision of you.
I agree with @Ksi's sentiment. She said something like if you make a game to play by yourself, you do not have to listen to anybody.
:kaothx:[I do not want to miss the opportunity to hear from the professional [exprience] or high IQ [talent] people here. They are so helpful and fun; sometimes they help me dream of something that I did not imagine before.]:kaoluv: I could not thank them enough.

I say something about you thought too much you need to confident on your choice bla bla bla
You can say that in my game prototype section. Thank you for your support, but yeah it is a general discussion where I turn my ears and my eyes on. Yeah sometimes, I have trusted my instinct.

#############################################################################
@standardplayer, thank you for helping me catch an error and thank you for your response.
I changed the sentence now to become a normal language. "I mean how much is it too much for you to feel traumatized."

Sorry for the incomplete sentence and make me laugh. How could I write that? That is why people think I drunk and do not interact with me. :kaoslp:

Wow, a lot of people are here bloodlust. I didn't expect that.:guffaw:D:<

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer my violent entertainment to be Quick & (mostly) Painless, unless its Villains/Antagonists getting comeuppance/karma (such as in the film "Inglorious *******s").

If we're talking blood specifically, it doesn't really do anything for me on its own, positive or negative.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@standardplayer, thank you for helping me catch an error and thank you for your response.
I changed the sentence now to become a normal language. "I mean how much is it too much for you to feel traumatized."
Lol no problem, I understood you all the same :D

Wow, a lot of people are here bloodlust. I didn't expect that.:guffaw:D:<
Gimme more gore!!!

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I cleaned up this thread a little bit by removing off-topic replies.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends on my mood, but mostly games which have dark stories with no happy endings. I don't think violence has much to do with it, since there's plenty of violence in lighthearted games too; it's just not all blood and gore.

Clockwarkgate

RGSS2 User
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
a little gore is nice but I always prefer the disintergrating into multiple small spheres of light on death. Even with the largest swords or any deep wound (or almost decapitation), the body is unharmed and the clothing or armor takes a little scratch. But the HP decreases miserably.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28, thanks you for cleaning up. I appreciate your help.
Oops, I forget about separate violence into anime, cartoon, and film.

@The Stranger, thank you for your response.

@Clockwarkgate, thank you for response.
################################
I see other game makers setting in the war time. If it is epic, there will be death and blood. Unless your world has dragon balls, you world will become less serious about and death/pain will be ok. That is true about power of narrative.:kaohi:

Last edited:

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally feel it depends on the Genre. I would expect a lot of Grim stuff like Blood, Gore and Death in a Horror Game or Mystery Game. But I really wouldn't expect to find lot of Violence in an Adventure or Fantasy Game. Any Gore or Blood i would see in Game needs to be there for a particular reason.

So I voted "A little Violence or Blood". I'm really fine with any of the above, But like i said there needs to be a Valid reason for it. These days, Beheading, Murder, Blood, Gore are common in most Action and Combat games, So gone is the era where you would actually care about your Game being Less Popular among the Younger audience.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
violence, like love, action or intrigue, is a plot device.
it's a tool, used to convey a message or emotion.

sometimes violence can help define a character.... but in a story set in violence, it doesn't particularly stand out.
usually it's used in contrast: violence over a quiet background, or vice versa.

I prefer good crafted action over gratuitous violence, but sometimes gratuitous violence adds to the final blend, like in some Tarantino movies, where violence is over-the-top, almost comical, to indicate that the character is going beyond their limits.

I can't stand a lighthearted game that borders innocence, unless the innocent is the character and not the story.
if the main character is innocent and grows as a character, and gets to surpass that innocence so that life doesn't get to them as hard because of that initial innocence, then I can work with that.
but a T-rated story with a 7+ ESRB plot or character, .... that's just lame.

I guess for me it's most traumatizing to hint potential violence than to show a full extent of it.
the allied landing in Saving Private Ryan? I know how the story got there, and it doesn't surprise me. I can connect the dots from A to Z and *expect* that, because that's what's to expect when you do that.
the opening of Saw and the bear trap scene? I don't know what to expect there. The characters are unknown, the plot is unknown, so the viewer can't know how the characters will act.
mild movie spoiler ahead
if Samantha hadn't gotten up from the chair, she *wouldn't have* triggered the trap.
everything about Jigsaw revolves around "wouldn't have"... he never triggers anything, he just pushes the characters to the edge, and the characters themselves trigger their own demise, for one reason or another.
that's potential violence well used.

still.... I've had a couple of bloody episodes in my youth, I'm used to the smell of blood.
gore doesn't make me lose my stomach anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

When you are trying to make progress in your game. But something is stopping your motivation. Like come on mind! Let me do what I want! :<
Tfw everyone is trying their hardest to brainstorm about unique ideas and game mechanics, here I am just going: "How am I gonna event conversations with busts" everyday. :kaoswt2:
Comedy is third person, tragedy is first person.
Man. A historic 130 year old church nearby had all of its windows broken out with bricks last night. Such a shame, it wasn't generic stained glass patterns either but had beautifully crafted murals depicting various parts of the gospels.
The Steam Summer Sale's been treating me nicely. Now if only game sales were always this good...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarubiaz