Do you use a controller (gamepad) when playing RM games?

Do you use a controller (gamepad) when playing RM games?

• Always!

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Often

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Sometimes (specify)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Rarely (specify)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Never!

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I cannot think of anything to type here that will add anything to the thread title/poll question so um yeah, for a third time on the same page: do you use a controller (gamepad) when playing RM games?

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I prefer to. But I've had bad luck with controllers over the years. Since I have a working one now, I currently use it when playing, but I sometimes won't if there's no way to rearrange the controls (which needs a plugin in mv but not the older ones).

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No, but it probably biased because I play exclusively on PC with the keyboard and mouse.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have an extremely old and kind of bad gamepad that I will very rarely use when playtesting if I want to either 1)get a feel for not using keyboard or more likely 2)don't want to be right next to my computer for hours as I playtest. THe gamepad lets me sit back and relax a bit.

90% of the time I just use the keyboard though, it works just fine.

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Always with a keyboard, if the game requires me to use a mouse I use that too.
I had a controller for PS3 & PC gaming that stopped working after 2 weeks...
When I used a controller on a PC it felt so uncomfortable since it's a PC not my PS3 or Xbox360, so even when RPG Maker games seem desgined best for controller I always used the keyboard since it's the most comfortable to me while playing on a pc. (I always choose keyboard over controller when a game can do both.)

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
never use the actual Gamepad for RM Games

i use PC Remote & Design my own Gamepad Layout (Design for RPG Playtest. And...yeah,it's really bad for me using PC Remote via my Phone than the Actual Gamepad :headshake:)

also,i never using Gamepad for PC Gaming. i used it for Emulator (Feels like you play the Actual Console Games :D)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use my controller mostly for 2D platformers, or for emulated console games. For RPG Maker games, I always use my keyboard.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I use my controller for all games. I'm a console gamer at heart and I have no dexterity on the keyboard at all.

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I use gamepads almost exclusively where applicable.
Unless a game was designed specifically for keyboards (like having all the various keys doing stuff).

The ABS engine I built for MZ I built with a controller in mind and the keyboard as an afterthought, as a result.

RPG Maker as an engine feels like it wants to produce old-style games, and as such using a controller seems appropriate (as others have noted using controllers for emulation).

As an aside, I've also noted others having issues with controllers (in other threads), and have found that this steelseries gamepad works flawlessly with MZ/MV, but you can also use joy2key or other programs like that to ultimately make any controller work with any RM.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whenever I've played RPG Maker games, I've played with a controller.
I don't know why but... it just feels more fun with a controller.

(Side note: I've also been a console gamer for most of my life. And only recently got into PC gaming, around 3-4 years ago. So I've always used a controller whenever I have had the option to.)

knightron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I try new games out with the keyboard but if I intend on committing to a game I'll switch to using a controller.

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends on the game.
If it doesn't require any kind of camera control (have yet to see an RM game with this) or doesn't even have a mouse support (have seen a lot like this), I use my controller.
Thankfully, I can re-program my controller's buttons now, so even if the RM game has no control configuration, I can always just set up my own in the controller's settings.

That said, I only ever played 3 RM games, so I don't really have much of a sample size on this. :D

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Eh, I never have. RM games, turn-based and all, never feel complex enough to warrant a controller. I can't say the same about the majority of computer games. Hell, I prefer a controller for RPGs in general, but RM games haven't been a hassle to use the keyboard.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tried using an Xbox controller to play an RM game once - never again. Just felt weird. I just use my keyboard, and I only really need to use a handful of keys: directional arrows, spacebar, and X or escape.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Tried using an Xbox controller to play an RM game once - never again. Just felt weird. I just use my keyboard, and I only really need to use a handful of keys: directional arrows, spacebar, and X or escape.
I haven't really found an xbox controller with a good dpad, so that is likely part of it. I won't use a computer controller with a bad dpad.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Always! In fact, if your game (for whatever reason) misbehaves when I use a controller, or if it tries to force me to use a keyboard for some random gimmick, I'm going to be slightly annoyed at it.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sometimes. I only use a controller for testing because I know most of the gaming audience does and at the end of the day they're the target audience.

ProvUnitV

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I use a controller almost all the times when it's possible. I got used to it because its more comfortable and perfect for a lazy guy like me which loves to lay in bed while playing something. Of course there are games like CS which are not even close to controllers, but for RM games it is perfect. I found a cool list on https://www.gamenewsaus.com.au with RM games, which I am going to pass in a few months. Started with The Longing Ribbon, is there anyone who played this games, any opinions and advices?

Last edited:

Zalzany

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If its vxace and yes people still make stuff with that, always. Most MV and MZ have full mouse support these days and I use mouse instead in the modern stuff I find. But a good vintage vxace with game pad is nice here and there granted the more depth my monitor gets the more vxace becomes hard to play lol

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I wish I can work faster on my game. But I don't want to get burned out. :(
I've been working on something on and off for a few years now, and I've been reluctant to share any details on the project before I had anything playable because I did not want to generate hype only for the project to go back on hiatus. That being said I believe what I'm working on is very unique and pushes the boundaries of what RPG Maker projects can be. Bold claims, I know but just wait.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms :)
Create Anime Art w/ AI, Tall Sprites with Aurora, Customize Variable Display | RPG Maker News #34

[My favorite slow moving track I've made so far]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
epokshiem