Do you use other game engines?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Pixelent Games, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Pixelent Games

Pixelent Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Eng
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, I didn't know where to ask this question, but do you use or have tried other game engines besides RPG Maker? Now that I'm 99% with my game (cough cough HERO STAFF, check in the forum), I started watching some tutorials on Unity and learning basic concepts every now and then, one of my goals is to create a Metroidvania, or maybe a Zelda or even a Lemmings game someday.

How about you?

Cheers!

AP
    Pixelent Games

2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Lion/Fox Hybrid Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been using SRPG Studio, but that is just me.

3. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 Great Sorcerer Ainz Ooal Gown-sama Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've used unity a bit. Even if it's undeniably better than MV for 2D, I prefer MV for 2D because of the default engine, the default resources, and the community.

However, I was thinking of jumping in unity (easier than unreal for small team) for a 3D project after my current project in RPG Maker MV. I think I'll still continue making rpg maker games on the side tho, and of course I'll continue being active in the community.

4. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Eclipse Origins with a lot of custom code. It's what our game Nin Online uses.

5. CleanWater

CleanWater Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Yes. But RPG Maker is still the best choice for 2D RPGs. XD

6. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used Game Maker back in like 2004 to make some Pong inspired games. I had a version that allowed for 4 players, and a few versions that had obstacles on the field. All I remember is how often objects got stuck in each other, they didn't really feel like solid games.

7. melancholy-sama

melancholy-sama Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have used Construct 2, tried to make my own simulator game with it.
    I don't make games anymore, unfortunately...

8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I used an old engine called DBGames or something like that back in the DOS days. It's really hard to find any info on it now, all I know is the CRPG Addict played a game made with it. It made old Ultima I - III style clones. Unfortunately my games I made are all on 5.25 inch floppies, which I have nothing which can read those anymore. No loss though, they were pretty bad, I was like 12 and made one of them in a week so you can guess how bad it is. Though somehow I sold one copy for $5? No idea quite how I pulled that off, maybe it was because RPG games for PC were hard to come by then, especially when you are younger and depend on others to buy the games for you.

I also used Unlimited Adventures in 1993 - 1996, made 3 modules for it, which in the end formed a 3 part story meant to be played in order. I still have those on my HD and backed up so I can still play those if I wish.

PS: Also I do have to remind you that we cannot discuss other engines here, though I see no harm in at least mentioning them and if you used them. But if staff decides otherwise they could close this thread.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  9. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My favorite engines that indies can use:
    2D Arcade Game - GameMaker Studio: Good scripting and event system, built-in sprite editor, software is reasonably priced for its capability

2D JRPG Game - RPG Maker MV: Engine is comparitively dirt cheap. JavaScript was once a mediocre language, but has evolved into something quite good IMO. It can double as a sandbox game as well due to the easy to use interface.

3D Games - Unreal Engine: I've seen the capability of this engine. its insane... it has an indie friendly pricing scheme too.

Least favorites:
    Unity - I can not recommend this engine for starting out with due to apparent difficulties in optimizing it. Every indie Unity game I have ever played has had issues with rapidly draining batteries on mobiles compared to other engines.

10. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I played around with unity before, it has a lot of flexibility and features. But I liked RPG Maker MV and VX ace engine better in term of available resources and ease of use. Plus I feel like it's a lot easier to develop a game with strong story in RPG maker than unity, but that's just my preference.

11. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Besides the RPG Maker I use the SRPG Studio.

12. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've never finished anything, but I intend to make/finish games with RPG Maker and Ren Py. In the future I'm also considering doing something in a point and click adventure engine, but I haven't decided between the available options. I've tried AGS before and I like it, but it's getting quite dated, so I'll probably go with Wintermute instead. I keep wanting to do an ARPG so at some point I'll probably pick up something like Solarus or Adventure Maker: Runiya. Who knows, maybe by the time I get around with it Enterbrain will have come out with an ARPG engine. That'd be really cool. I'm also pretty curious about OpenBOR and M.U.G.E.N. As you can probably tell, I am more interested in engines that are very genre specific. I am really awful at coding, I can do really easy HTML level stuff and that's it, so I like engines that don't require me to know a thing about code and let me focus on stories and graphics. Maybe someday I'll pick up a more flexible engine instead. I'm considering Construct 2 or Godot at the moment, but there's really no need right now. I've got a lot of easier things to try first.

13. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My first RPG was made in HyperCard. Good times.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  14. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've done about 100 hours of work in GameMaker Studio 2 so far, setting up the foundations for my next game which will be much heavier an action and interface than a standard RPG, and so far I'd recommend it for moderate to advanced game makers.
    • Pros: It offers a ton of really useful scripting conveniences, as well as some nice graphical and motion manipulation commands, its built-in console is pretty good, movement is smooth as butter, and I haven't had any performance issues yet in my output.
    • Cons: It doesn't offer any "default" starting functionality (like RPG Maker's battles and menus), and the maker itself has unexpectedly crashed several times on me (even though the output has been good).
    HeartBeast's series of tutorials are fantastic. See especially the 10-hour beginner tutorial "Make an RPG", but he has at least half a dozen shorter tutorials (such as making a basic RTS, creating a basic online game, and creating randomized levels) that are all well worth watching.

I've also watched a ton of tutorials on Unity 4/5, which look like great game-making tools, but I worry that as an indie dev I wouldn't have any way to make a 3D game on there look visually appealing, and the learning curve seems a little high.

15. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Aoi Ninami I have removed the link to another forum and the further reference to it, as we do not permit links to outside forums. The link to another engine only survived as it is no longer available.

16. HikariJake

HikariJake Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Does Renpy count? If so then yes, lol. Otherwise I just waste lots of time in RPG Maker...

17. RishigangiX

RishigangiX Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I recently bought velociraptor because it the features/reviews seemed good, and it's also budget-friendly. Gonna try breaking in to the VN picture in the near future.

18. joombo

joombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used Game Maker but now I use only RPG, It's the best for me

Canini likes this.
  19. dulsi

dulsi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've used the Bard's Tale Construction Set before but it is really bad. In fact I wrote an expanded engine to remove those restrictions. Usually I've just written my own game engines. Recently I've been playing with the Pocket Arcade by Tiny Circuits. I don't think any game engines target that device.

20. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Agreed! I also find the community for the game maker engine less helpful and that pulled me over to working with rpgmaker full time. I also used to work with an engine for creating point and click games. I didnĀ“t really have a budget to do the art for a full game though.