Do younger gamers like games from 16-bit era?

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm in my late 20s, so I'm not in your targeted age range. But just throwing out my opinion: I grew up with SNES and PS1. I had no understanding of the difference between 2D and 3D back then. So gameplay was what mattered to me the most. I still like going back to play some old games every now and then. Some games aged well, and others hadn't. I think the answer to this might depend on whether someone grew up playing retro games or modern games.

If someone grows up with 8/16/32 bit games, chances are they won't mind playing other games from that period. They are already used to seeing old 2D graphics, so jumping back and forth between modern and classic games will probably be easier. On the other hand, someone who grows up playing mainly modern games will have a hard time seeing what's appealing about a bunch of old games from more than 20 years ago. Maybe they will like the gameplay, maybe not. Of course, this is just what I think is the typical scenario. So, if you have children, let them play retro games first.

I think those old games are suck. People who try to copycat those old games with excuse of nostalgic feeling or classical RPG are doing all wrong.
If there are anything game devs of this era should learn, they should learn from mobile games

I'm not a fan of the so-called retro games nowadays, either. They completely lack the charm and the feel of a true classic game. Devs should learn from mobile games, yes. But what they should learn is what to never do with their games. Mobile games are usually very shallow, simplistic, and full of gacha or microtransactions. They can never compete with traditional games on console and PC.

This is how you learn from mobile games, it also apply for learning from PC games as well.
1. Find some games that catches your interest
2. Install and try to play for few rounds
3. If you found st interest, write it down, try to replicate it in your project
4. Repeat above steps
Not just about gameplay, story. There are also many other things to learn as well from the mobile games, for example:
How to make the much of profit from the game.
How to draw people attention & have them to install your game, despite the fact that your game are suck.
Lol, when you released at least 3 games, you will understand what I am talking about

That's how you learn from playing other people's games. Nothing to do with mobile or PC. And that only works if you find any decent mobile games to learn from.

- How to make profit from the game: make it good.
- That's just overhype marketing. You make a crappy game seems amazing, people flock to try it, and when they find out how much it sucks, they will bombard you with bad reviews and refund the game. Dead Island, No Man's Sky, Resident Evil 6, The Order 1886, and Cyberpunk should be clear examples of what not to do. You understand that when you pull that tactic, your reputation goes down the abyss, do you not?

Have you released at least 3 games? Show us. Do they capture people's attention despite being crap? Did people bombard it with bad reviews and ask for refund? I understand what you are talking about. But what you are talking about is how to ruin your business, not make profit.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I grew up playing on the Amiga 500+, and my best friend had one too, and a NES, and a Sega Megadrive. We would spend HOURS playing what are now considered 'retro games'. So for me, games like the original Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Brothers, Pacman, Tetris and similar all give me nostalgic feels.

I have an 8 year old, who is willing to play some older games, but not others. She watched me playing pacman when it was added to the switch, but she doesn't like that one. She will however play some older games, like, Ocarina of time (not part of the 16 bit era, but still an older game).

Whether an old game will appeal to young people depends I think on how well a game has aged. Let's face it, kids won't play an old game for it's graphics, what they will play for is either a decent story, or a logic puzzle or whatever else it has. Some games seem to age quite well.

Whether kids want to play them or not depends on a lot of factors, but what is clear is that there is still quite a sizeable market for them. I have a switch subscription, which gives me access to a lot of classic games from the NES and SNES. I play with these extras far more than my daughter does because they were the sort of games I grew up with, but she will play on them occasionally and I encourage it so she can see where her modern games originate from. These days though, she spends most of her time tackling Breath of the Wild master mode (which is far easier than the master mode of Ocarina of Time as long as you can sneak past lynels)

ericv00

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Passion, work, and craft show through regardless of the trappings of the game. I've seen everything from garbage pixel art to masterpieces. I've seen unimaginative vector graphics, and I've seen masterpieces. 3d garbage and 3d masterpieces. The "game" portion of a game actually has little to do with the visual style. The "story" portion of a game has little to do with the game or the graphics. If a project has great craft and passion, it shows, but it's HARD to pull off. And, to paraphrase Neil Gaiman, 'Two out of three will do'.

For every amazing SNES game, there are 10 pieces of trash. No different to games today. The real trick is to care about craft apparent in a game regardless of nostalgia or lack of, and seek out those great games. Not an easy task I must admit, especially considering one of the... business opinions expressed in this thread.

And on THAT note. Making trash that gets downloads is a great way to pay rent for a crudy apartment. Making a great game gives you the chance to make serious money.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I want to learn Javascript to create a custom menu, but I don't really know where to start.
One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.
anyone know of a place I can promote my game? sorta like game awards but for indie devs, like a place where I can drop a trailer and like stir up some hype
Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LAB00M