Does anyone know how to get in touch with Yanfly?

MiD

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me explain.

I'm making- or i could say i've already made- a plugin that supports stocks for items in shops. I mean, actual, updateable stocks, which you can add to or remove from whenever. My game has a semi-strategy element where, if, for example, the potion maker is working, then you get +1 potion/day, but if they're not working the potions stocks aren't increasing (and can run out).

I've already made this plugin for my game, but it does make use of one plugin of Yanfly and has to slightly alter one of the functions. I have already described the manner in my guide ("cheating" way to do it), but i have since perfected it and it's much easier to use now.

So i wanted to share it with the community, but Yanfly's license restricts distributing plugins that have parts of his/her code in them, so i can't. It could work without altering his plugin but it would look bad and it still relies heavily on it.

So i basically wanted to get in touch with him to ask for permission. My plugin won't be sold (my license is the same as in my 'object variables' one), and it won't work unless you have Yanfly's plugin above it, and i even mention which function is editting Yanfly's function, so it's not like i'm trying to steal anything. Everything i'm creating or borrowing is completely transparent. I tried searching for contact info for an email but i didn't find anything.

I simply need to get his permission and, if i do, i'll just work on it a bit more to make it more user-friendly, and it will be ready in no time!

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yanfly is retired, so it is even harder to get in contact. You can try to get a contact by contacting their circle friends though (with Archeia probably being the best candidate).

My personal take on this though (with a grain of salt of course), depends on what kind of code is this. If it's common sense and people would likely think the same, don't bother. And if it becomes quirky (like the coding style), you probably need to ask. And based on the past records, you will only get trouble if you sell the code. Share it for free and give credit to Yanfly, I believe it's what all they ask.

MiD

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly is retired, so it is even harder to get in contact. You can try to get a contact by contacting their circle friends though (with Archeia probably being the best candidate).

My personal take on this though (with a grain of salt of course), depends on what kind of code is this. If it's common sense and people would likely think the same, don't bother. And if it becomes quirky (like the coding style), you probably need to ask. And based on the past records, you will only get trouble if you sell the code. Share it for free and give credit to Yanfly, I believe it's what all they ask.
Concerning his code: I am simply adding a condition there, but i am also utilizing 2 functions from his code (i am only calling them - i am not editting those).

Concerning selling the code: In no way do i want to do that. My license is that you can use my code however you want, edit it, etc. I mostly make these plugins to aid me in my games and/or as exercise. But if they manage to help someone else too,why not?

I could do without editting Yanfly's code, but my plugin still relies on his (his must be placed above mine) and i still have to call the 2 functions i mentioned above.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How much of Yanfly's code are you using in your plugin? Are you copying/pasting an entire function just to change one line? Can you alias it and put your condition in your code, calling Yanfly's function if that condition is met?

You don't need permission to release a plugin that calls 2 of Yanfly's functions - you're not putting any of Yanfly's code in your plugin in order to do that. So it all revolves around the other one.

MiD

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How much of Yanfly's code are you using in your plugin? Are you copying/pasting an entire function just to change one line? Can you alias it and put your condition in your code, calling Yanfly's function if that condition is met?

You don't need permission to release a plugin that calls 2 of Yanfly's functions - you're not putting any of Yanfly's code in your plugin in order to do that. So it all revolves around the other one.
Yeah, i copied and pasted the entire function but i simply need to add 1 condition in there. I want Yanfly's code to work as it was meant EXCEPT if the condition is met. If it's met, then it just changes 1 little thing in his/her code and the rest works as it was meant to.

So i can't exactly choose to call or not call the function, the function is always being called (like it was meant to be), it's just that when the condition is met 1 line is changed (basically a number, instead of getting its value from the parameters, is set to 0 regardless).

This is simply done for visuals, it doesn't affect whether my code works or not. It will still work without it, it will just look bad :p

EDIT: I meant i copied and pasted 1 function in its entirety - not the whole plugin xD
EDIT2: I actually think i found a way around it, without ever copying and pasting that function.

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you could alias that function, then in YOUR function, do the following:

- save the parameter value
- do your conditional check - if needed, change the parameter value
- call the aliased function
- if you changed the parameter value, now change it back again to what it was

No need to copy any of Yanfly's function anymore.

MiD

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you could alias that function, then in YOUR function, do the following:

- save the parameter value
- do your conditional check - if needed, change the parameter value
- call the aliased function
- if you changed the parameter value, now change it back again to what it was

No need to copy any of Yanfly's function anymore.
I found a way around it, without ever changing that function, but to answer your post:

Although i don't ever call that function myself (it's called from elsewhere) what you're saying is true, i could simply save, edit, and reset the parameter value instead. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ive got a long lost half uncle. Thats real cool.
I forget what is bumping rule in this forum. Is anyone know? Thank you.
BCj
Ew, why does my blogpost on the rpgmaker.net site look like a garbled mess? Are html codes disabled or something?
I feel that I should cut down on my order queue so I can get some more time for my projects, its been quite a longggg while since I worked on them LOL
I friend of mine insisted on practicing dubbing things with him... and its quite funny, yet, it really takes a huge amount of practice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubberjohnny