Does anyone know how to make a skill that makes the caster latch on to the target?

laboratorystudios

Laboratory Studios
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm working on some states for a new game, and one skill I really want to implement is a skill that a caster will latch on or tangle themselves around the target and deal damage periodically each turn. I'm hoping to figure out when the caster dies or the target removes themselves, they both become unattached. I already know it would most likely require something like 2 states (one for the user and one for the target) that would inflict simultaneously. When both states are inflicted the target would lose the ability to attack and to guard, while having his stats dramatically lowered. The user would have his speed and evasion lowered but would inflict damage on the target each turn until it escaped the bind or the user dies. I can get the states to activate for both user and target, but I can only get one to remove at a time, and the respective states still linger after the user dies or vice versa. Think of 'Bind' from Pokémon Gold & Silver.

Drake_Onix_Bind.png

Any ideas or work arounds would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We strongly recommend that instead of saying "something like [game name]" you describe in as much detail as you can what it is you want. That is because - even with a game like Pokemon - there are millions of people who will not have played whichever game you are referring to, and therefore will not be able to help you, even when in fact they know the answer. They will not know that they know, if you see what I mean.

I suggest you edit your opening post and put in a description.

laboratorystudios

Laboratory Studios
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We strongly recommend that instead of saying "something like [game name]" you describe in as much detail as you can what it is you want. That is because - even with a game like Pokemon - there are millions of people who will not have played whichever game you are referring to, and therefore will not be able to help you, even when in fact they know the answer. They will not know that they know, if you see what I mean.

I suggest you edit your opening post and put in a description.

Thanks for the heads up. I've edited the title and body text. This is my first posting so hopefully I've learned the format a little better to get the most responses?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's much clearer. A bit of further information (doesn't have to be in the opening post, but it could be helpful).

You say "until the target escapes the bind" - what mechanism would achieve that? That will influence how your skill is constructed.

laboratorystudios

Laboratory Studios
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's much clearer. A bit of further information (doesn't have to be in the opening post, but it could be helpful).

You say "until the target escapes the bind" - what mechanism would achieve that? That will influence how your skill is constructed.

I understand the "bind" will need to be a state that is inflicted on a target by a user that has something that can ensnare them. Think like a Boa Constrictor wrapping itself around its prey. The boa constrictor is the one casting the skill which inflicts a state on its target that entangles the user so it takes crushing damage and lowers it's movement stats. My issue is I don't know how to make the state disappear when the caster (the snake or monster) is killed or incapacitated. Ideally I'd like to make it so the caster also suffers some debuffs while binding the target (such as a speed drop or evasion drop) as it would have trouble moving while it's wrapped around its target.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have big news. I just got hired at a Mexican restaurant! They're like Chipotle but a bit different... and my job will be taking orders some days, delivering food other days, and of course, making customers happy. My orientation is on Tuesday. Once I start, I might disappear from here sometimes, but I'll always try to come back!
Batch converting .mp3 to .ogg files is making my computer soooo slow!
When you spend hours working on an optional segment that players will only be in for 2 minutes in a single playthrough. That's the life right there.
I had a kernel panic crash on my current computer for the first time after trying out the latest update on a videogame. I think I'm going to wait until the next update before trying it again. This brought back memories of my old computer and laptop in their final days.
My mind is now broken. I just spent over an hour on this stupid issue.
Trying to get a skill to show text depending on enemy ID to show passives.
Well. I tried to call one passive 'Spirit's Way'. See a problem? No? Neither did I until now!
The apostrophe in "Spirit's" ended the text eval... no wonder I kept getting unexpected input errors...I think I'm gonna cry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuneyBug