Does anyone know what the raised stone is for?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Sharm, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So the RTP of both Ace and MV has a bunch of tiles in the interior A2 set that are called Raised Stone.  (Third set of tiles from the right).  Does anyone know how they're supposed to be used in mapping?  The best I can come up with is some sort of raised platform but I'm not sure.  Why have the sides angled on all sides instead of steps and why have so many versions?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've seen these used as edging around paths, grassed areas, etc.  Think of the curb you step over when you walk from the street up onto the footpath.

oh wait - the Inside tileset ... they're not quite the same as the corresponding positions on the outside set, are they?  I'm not sure then.  I can't imagine what you'd use something like that for inside.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
    The Stranger likes this.
  3. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Exactly.  I just can't figure out what it's supposed to be for.  I'd just dismiss it as something the artist put in for some pet project that makes sense in context, but there are so many of them.  Maybe it's a combination of that plus the need to fill up a bunch of space on the A2 sheet?  Because most ground tiles that you'd need for inside don't need an autotile and can be handled by a single A5 tile.

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Honestly, I've never used them. I tried to use them once for a table, but it looked awful and I've never tried to use it again. I'd be curious to see what our more expert mappers have used them for though.

5. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've used them in the past as ceilings. Rather than have the 1-tile wide ceilings you can fill the the empty space in with raised stone tiles to create a, in my opinion, sleeker look. They have to fill the entire empty space outside of your interior rooms, however. if you try to use them as you would a regular ceiling tile they just look odd. You could also use them to create areas of minor elevation - maybe even layer them on top of interior pools of water to give the pool some decoration. You can use them for a lot of things because they have no interior texture.

6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @The Stranger Do you have a screenshot of that? I'm trying to picture it but coming up short.

Two of them have a filled in floor pattern, and I would possibly use those as a raised platform to put, say, a statue or something on. But I too have wondered at these tiles and what their purpose is. I suppose you could use it to border water, like an interior fountain or something as well.

7. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mlogan Sure thing!

[​IMG]

It's not amazing, but it does create a sort of nice effect as a ceiling. Probably should've used different walls. xD

Forgot to add an example of the minor elevation, but you can sort of see it in action with the pool of water. It allows you to create a step effect\raised area which isn't downward facing - have the elevation facing different directions and positioned in the lower portions of the map. With some editing of the tileset, you could also have four of these tiles to create multi-tiered steps which you can ascend from different directions. Never tried that, however, so I'm not sure how well it would turn out.

You could probably also use those tiles to create an upper floor. Rather than have floor tiles abruptly end once they reach the top of a wall, you can have a nice sloping bit which connects the two.

mlogan likes this.
  8. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Huh.  Well, that's a nice use for it but that's clearly not what it's for since the default passage settings are set to make them walkable.  That is helpful though, thank you.

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wonder if you can find screenshots or demo games made by Enterbrain/KDKW and look closely at any interiors to see if they've been used in any way?

Those tiles look like they go as far back as VX (only one in the RTP - A2 bottom row, second from right), and certainly in Ace.  Didn't one of those have a demo game?

10. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh right, there are sample maps that come with Ace.  *checks*  They are used as platforms.  Huh.  The perspective's just plain wrong on it then.  Oh well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

mlogan and Shaz like this.
  11. Pierman Walter

Pierman Walter Chunk Monster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've used them as roof and bridge railings.

12. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, the perspective is wrong - you can see the bevel on the top when you shouldn't.

13. Noobk

Noobk Boo-Boo'Da'Foo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    As @The Stranger mentioned I have only ever seen people use them as a ceiling border for interior maps. I have used them for that purpose as well. It definitely seems like they are used to put a border around something though. But I have been a little baffled as well with this one.  :distrust:  And I don't understand how those work as "platforms," to me that means they should be stood upon and they don't look like something to stand on.

The Stranger likes this.
  14. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    *shrugs* That's how they were used in the sample maps.  I bet they'd work better for that if the angle was correct.

15. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've always used them as a means to transition from one floor to another. 
    Like in a house when hardwood meets the carpet there's a little seperator?

[​IMG]

Takes a little shift clicking though.