Does anyone use Camtasia? Is it good?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by callmedan, Jul 20, 2018.

1. callmedan

callmedan Friendly Stranger Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    There's a new software bundle on Humble Bundle and you can get Camtasia, a video editing and screen recording software for $20 instead of nearly $250.
    It sounds interesting but I'm not sure if I should buy it or not. So I'd like to ask if anyone here has used it and if it's a good tool.
    Thank you! :)

2. kartacha

kartacha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used it before I started using Premiere Pro/OBS combo.
    Camtasia is a good program although it saves some native format files that are huge by default. I am not sure if you can save directly compressed.
    Two things for the Camtasia about 2 years ago. It used to crash sometimes when you load heavy projects. My instance of Camtasia started to randomly not produce any file after after the rendering was done (yeah, I used it for editing). I did not bother updating it properly though and it might have been already fixed.
    If you intend to use it even on weekly basis $20 for Camtasia pack (including recording and editing functions should be good. Although I would prefer OBS for recording any day.

3. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I remember using the free version a long time ago and was not impressed, mainly with the video quality of the recorded footage. I would suggest Fraps if you don't have superior free options like Shadowplay, but I don't think it's been updated for years now...

4. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used to use it a long time ago. It was a great screen recorder for weak pcs, because yes, the video quality was low, but the cpu consumption was low as well. But as time progressed, even weak computers won't be able to use it properly nowadays. So fraps or icecream video recorder for me.

5. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use windows' native recorder these days, but when it wasn't available, camtasia was the only screen recording software that worked properly on my computer. The editor has some interesting features, but I haven't used them to know if they are good.

6. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    just fyi - if your using windows 10, you can press the windows key, and 'g', to open the xbox game bar - which has built in to windows screen recording!!!!!!!

You do not have to install hacky third party software anymore, that is why they are giving it away. lol

7. Raijinn

Raijinn YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa, English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Camtasia is good, and the editing software that comes with it is also easy to learn. Good as well.

8. callmedan

callmedan Friendly Stranger Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thank you all for replies! :)