Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to know if anyone here owns Game Character Hub? If you do, would you recommend it? I have been thinking of buying it on Steam.
Thanks! :)

*EDIT* Forgot to include a link, sorry! *EDIT*

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont know the character hub you talking about, there are serveral.
some say its good, other is bad, some has no assets etc.

which one are you talking about?

LMichelle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

I have around 550 hours in GCH.
I would say, use it for RPG Maker spritesheets only. It is made to be used for that.
Creating more fluid animations is difficult, because you draw your sprites as the sheet, instead of creating it like a more 'standard' animation, which uses onion skins and more frames.

What I particularly like about GCH Hub over the famous Aseprite, are it's menu's and the export system (export mapping). It's a very straightforward program, and I honestly think that for 15 euro's, it's a very good program, often overlooked.

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@LMichelle Thank you for the response. Which Game Character Hub do you own? The original or the Portfolio Edition? :)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it come empty and you need to built from scratch, than its basicly the
same as using krita or gimp (free) otherwise photoshop if you own it.

I cannot tell how good it is or not, but go with other opinions and decide from that.

I cannot really help you make your choice.

Last edited:

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@LMichelle Does it already come with the assets to make your own characters or do you have to import them into the program?

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I also own Game Character Hub (original). You can compare it to a generator that comes with prebuild assets and allows you to edit those assets (moving, recolouring them, etc.). Personally I'm too used to working with GIMP, so I hardly ever used GCH for editing, but instead just generated my start sprite and started editing from there.
The original also has two more functions: tileset merging (only applicable for RMXP) and converting charactersheets. I am so so happy with that last option, it has saved me so much time. Basically it can convert XP sheets to VXAce format for you, as well as the other way around. I believe it also has option for converting to and from 2k3 format. Anyway, for that function alone I'm super happy with my purchase of GCH.

Since this is a Degica published product, I'm moving this to the Game Character Hub subforum.

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I also own Game Character Hub (original). You can compare it to a generator that comes with prebuild assets and allows you to edit those assets (moving, recolouring them, etc.). Personally I'm too used to working with GIMP, so I hardly ever used GCH for editing, but instead just generated my start sprite and started editing from there.
The original also has two more functions: tileset merging (only applicable for RMXP) and converting charactersheets. I am so so happy with that last option, it has saved me so much time. Basically it can convert XP sheets to VXAce format for you, as well as the other way around. I believe it also has option for converting to and from 2k3 format. Anyway, for that function alone I'm super happy with my purchase of GCH.

So it does come with assets? That's good. I wanted to use it to make custom RPG Maker 2k3 and XP sprites. RPG Maker 2k3 and XP don't come with a character generator and I have been having trouble finding an online generator that I can use.

Thanks for your response @slimmmeiske2 :)

Since this is a Degica published product, I'm moving this to the Game Character Hub subforum.

Oh thanks, I wasn't sure where to make this thread. :)

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's really good for quickly creating nearly identical sprites (for example maids or soldiers with differing eye color, hair and skin tone).

It also allows you to import different sized sprites and to customize it quite a bit so you can set it for tall sprites and add in the clothing/parts people have made for them.

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you for your help, everyone. I appreciate the responses. :)

Last edited:

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have it and used it a lot with VX Ace and it was really easy to import extra assets. When MV came in that became really difficult. I tried and tried but, even with the developer's helpful comments, it still proved to be too difficult for me to be bothered with. I did recently go back and look at it again but after about an hour of trying to figure it out again I just gave up.
The biggest gripe I have with MZ is that the character assets are not compatible with MV (or vice versa) without a lot of editing. Because I have a huge amount of MV extras, I decided to edit backwards. as it were. and have spent hours and hours trying to get the MZ assets to fit MV. I generate all of my characters there then edit in Photoshop.

That's why I had another look at the GCH thinking that it would be worth the effort but I couldn't get it to load all of my stuff and gave up again. That is my problem with not being savvy enough to do it, though, so I'm not saying it can't be done - just be aware that it may not be particularly simple. I don't know if they have a trial version - if so, that may be your best bet. Or get it on Steam and be careful not to go over their time limit for a refund and give it a go. You are probably not as dumb as me, so you might find it to be okay.

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Calamitous Magic Thanks for the response. :)
I did purchase GCH on Steam but I got it refunded. I was disappointed with the amount of XP character assets. I bought it because I wanted to make XP sprites and I had been having trouble finding an online generator for it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tiamat-86 wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
apparently since its turning 15 years old this year the ps3 is considered "retro". now how old do you feel?
guess that means im an "antique" gamer since ill still play games as old as i am.
"you know your getting old when your childhood console changes ethnicity" lol it turned yellow
I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keda27