KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At the start of last year I discovered I liked making games especially in RPG Maker. I felt like a missing puzzle piece finally fit into place. However, whenever I talk games with others it usually goes over their head. I tried playing other people's games as a way to form a conversation with them about their game and game development in general. However, it usually ends with them not responding or its a closed ended comment I usually can't find a response to.Has anyone else felt this way while they started developing games?

Endellion

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As far as I have noticed, in the real world (away from the computer) game development isn't the easiest thing to talk about. It's not because the people I know aren't interested, it's just because they usually don't have the slightest clue what I'm talking about. :p Discussing certain plot points and some of the characters? That's something they can understand and gets their interest. But if I bring up what they don't understand (editing tilesets, making maps, formulas, percentages) they get confused by those things. It's not that they're not interested, it's that they don't know what to say, or don't completely understand what's being brought up.

I haven't really tried to talk to anyone about the games they've made in detail, though. I've played a good number of RM games that I've liked over the years and I'll let the developers know what parts of their games I've enjoyed; just basic commentary. I've just never really tried to engage them in in-depth conversation though, just because I kind of look at other developers' games as being their "trade secrets," so to speak; so I never really tried to discuss the finer aspects of game development with them.

Sorry I couldn't be more help than that!

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never felt isolated in this community.

In fact, all my DMs to game developers, even to the ones making really cool games that I'm curious about how they did it, have responded. All with the exception of one, who is a youtube lets player and didn't get back to me (which I found very odd). All in all, I think this community is quite good at being open to trading ideas--I mean, that's the whole reason for this forum, after all. It's cultivating those relationships and helping them to grow which will make them more meaningful.

It also helps that I've hired quite a number of artists on this forum and they've been on my team for a year plus. So just naturally from that you build a relationship. I pretty sure they hate me though as I tell them very little about the game haha!

melancholy-sama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know what you're talking about.
All of my friends are either game developers or artists.
Game development is not an easy topic to talk about...
Speaking from my own experience: when I get overrexcited and try to explain another cool game concept to somebody who is not into game development... well... they always get irritated with it.
Yet, I think that RM Web is a great place to find friends among game developers.
As for me - I have met some great people here and I value them.

I know what do you mean by saying "isolated".
I hope that you will soon find someone to talk to!
If not...well, my PM is open - I will gladly disscuss anything:kaohi:

Last edited:

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Well, you have to find the right person to discuss this stuff.
There probably some other devs who will talk with you about this stuff, but there also will be some who only care about their own game.
Just try again until you find someone.^^

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even though my friend doesn't do game development, he's always easy to talk with about it. I ask him what he thinks of the things I made and what kind of ideas he's got etc. It's pretty fun.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have programmer friends so I can talk about rm dev work with them. they like to rag on me about using rm as an rdk but it's all in good fun

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Endellion My sister described "game development talk" as a different language. I understand that though after I was told that a few times. I might try the plot point and character thing next time my games is brought in real life.
@Lornsteyn That's true, its like finding what hobby or activity speaks to you. It's not easy to find but you will be glad when you do find it.
@rue669 I should try to embrace this community, I know from experience the people are nice.
@melancholy-sama That's cool you found some game developer and/or artist friends. I happen to be a fusion of the two but, I am still learning about game design everyday. I have been drawing as long as I could remember. I guess it was a outlet for me.
@Milennin Those types of friends are also really nice to have, because they are open to your ideas.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
At the start of last year I discovered I liked making games especially in RPG Maker. I felt like a missing puzzle piece finally fit into place. However, whenever I talk games with others it usually goes over their head.
This is true to any kind of nerds (like, you probably won't understand either if I start to talk about RM scripting despite it is still RM and probably game dev).

I find it easier to socialize with people if I can offer something to help them in any way. Nerds are isolated, however, if you can be helpful to others, you won't feel isolated as much. Share your knowledge. See your knowledge actually being used. Being isolated nerds aren't fun.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Only because I can't find people to work with me.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So like...it would...if I was doing it better/more correctly. I.e. if I didn't spend at least an hour on this site for every like, half hour I spend on the editor (it's not that bad, but some days it's close, and very occasionally, it's even worse). But since I do hang on here while I'm at work on my game, I don't feel isolated.

I don't have many IRL friends but a lot of the ones I do have make up for their numbers by being super nerdy (and thus I can talk to them about EVEN DORKIER stuff than this).

(Being banned from RMN makes me feel like sh*t but I don't really want to talk about it, it's just really hard not to mention at all in the specific context of game design and feelings of isolation. That's less feeling isolated and more feeling persecuted and shunned anyway.)

@Tanarex: possibly don't self advertise as a scrub? mostly kidding but who knows if that's a factor. ; )

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nope. I did have someone working with me for years. But she is gone now and don't think she is coming back. And someone else working with me for a month but then had to move. So now my game is dead in the water.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CrowStorm I have making more of a effort to be more active on here and it is helping me feel not as isolated.

@Tanarex I'm sorry the people helping you on your game left. One day you may have someone to help you out with your game. I make games solo, I have never made a game with others people.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KazukiT:

I taught myself a long, long time ago, well over a decade, not to rely upon teams and to be as self sufficient as possible in my game dev ambitions because internet people are flaky AF.
JustAShyDoge is the only dev I've ever successfully collaborated with and it's almost hard to count that as a collaboration considering the way the event it was part of was structured.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KazukiT:

I taught myself a long, long time ago, well over a decade, not to rely upon teams and to be as self sufficient as possible in my game dev ambitions because internet people are flaky AF.
JustAShyDoge is the only dev I've ever successfully collaborated with and it's almost hard to count that as a collaboration considering the way the event it was part of was structured.
Well working alone the vision of the game stays more true to how you originally envisioned it. Although it is more work though.

I can agree to people on the internet being flaky, the first person I wanted to playtest one of my games never even responded when I playtested his game. He even said he would which was the kicker. : /

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, flaky people suck. This one guy had a shop where he said he'd make maps for people. So I went through all this detail about the map I wanted and he said he would do it. I never heard from him again.
I'm asking for help on a few different sites. No luck.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont feel isolated though, while I dont have "real friends" but mostly online,
I enjoy my hobbies otherwise. im bad in social talking in real life anyway ^^

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont feel isolated though, while I dont have "real friends" but mostly online,
I enjoy my hobbies otherwise. im bad in social talking in real life anyway ^^
@ShadowDragon I am not the best at talking with others in real life either. I’m rather introverted, in that regard.
@Tanarex I’m sorry to hear about someone promising to do something but flake before they do the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My plan after learning to make my voice girly "Wow! You sounds cute!" "But actually I'm a man!" "Nooooo!!!" hehehe...
I get haunted from bugs that emit a terrible stench after being killed.
At first, I was going to put player objectives on the screen labeling it as "Helpful voices"... But that's dumb, I have a madness system. It will simply whisper objectives.... I mean they're probably objectives. The voices wouldn't lie right? They're friendly, and ...helpful. So clearly you should do what they say. Just watch the dark corners of your screen for advice and it will all work out! :LZSexcite:
Take care of your immune system: Go to sleep. If you looked at the clock an hour ago or four and it was way late then maybe now is the time. Mmm sleep...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyfox585