Aaron

Code Mage Unproductive Bard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm newly active in these forums and I've seen a few different threads posted by developers about their games being stolen and sold for profit. After I did some searching I found out there are some people who have been stealing games and selling shovelware for years. Does this happen often, or is it just an occasional thing? Pirating is inevitable, but someone else selling a game you worked hard on is demoralizing, especially for people who already have problems with morale and lethargy like me. I appreciate any input given and I wish you all a wonderful day/night.

- Aaron

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The issue is more with art assets and plugin code being stolen really, rather than whole games, but it's a pretty big problem in the community and whole games have been known to be stolen too.

It is super demoralising, but the alternative is not sharing your vision with the world. It really boils down to whether you think it's worth the risk.

I will say that unless you're super well-known, the risk of it happening to you is low. This tends to happen to people who have made a name for themselves.

Dezue

pat reon.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heyho!
Sadly, the answer is: As soon as you start making games, different kinds of piracy will pop up, too.
Sometimes, you'll be able to avoid or fight them, sometimes you won't.
But, like Trihan said, you're probably 'safe' in the beginning, so my advice would be to concentrate on developing the game.
Take care and stay funky,
Dez

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I don't know how rampant it gets (piracy is rampant, but I'd like to imagine they generally don't claim it as their own work), but it's important to build a brand.

Make a lot of unnecessary noise about your work, your development. Build a following early. This is all paper trail. If someone steals your work and tries to accuse you of stealing from them, you at least could make an argument. Especially with RPG Maker, where you literally distribute the entire project, it gets hard to argue about "source code".

Don't wait until you release the game before you start talking about it; as a consumer, I honestly wouldn't know the difference between someone that built the game themselves, and someone that just took the game and slapped on their own brand.

I think game theft affects small names more than big names. If someone pirated final fantasy, a lot of people can probably tell they didn't make the game themselves. But if it's from an indie dev that no one's heard of? Whose side would they take if you called them out?

Aaron

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know how rampant it gets (piracy is rampant, but I'd like to imagine they generally don't claim it as their own work), but it's important to build a brand.

Make a lot of unnecessary noise about your work, your development. Build a following early. This is all paper trail. If someone steals your work and tries to accuse you of stealing from them, you at least could make an argument. Especially with RPG Maker, where you literally distribute the entire project, it gets hard to argue about "source code".

Don't wait until you release the game before you start talking about it; as a consumer, I honestly wouldn't know the difference between someone that built the game themselves, and someone that just took the game and slapped on their own brand.

I think game theft affects small names more than big names. If someone pirated final fantasy, a lot of people can probably tell they didn't make the game themselves. But if it's from an indie dev that no one's heard of? Whose side would they take if you called them out?
Yeah piracy is inevitable. Plagiarism is the worrisome aspect. I very much appreciate your input and advice Hime. I'd also like to say I looked at your website and respect your creations. I applaud you for creating so many tools and tutorials to help other developers. Looking forward to your MZ works.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you refer to a situation in the past where people steal the free rpg indie games and put into stream to sale. Yeah, we have to look out for each others and that is a great protection against the bullying game stealers. After, people just request a take up the games there.

I am going to say not often because most people have moral conscious and hard for them do such a thing.

Last edited:

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
I've only heard that some people have taken free rpg maker games and put them on Steam for a price which is really awful. But I'm guessing it doesn't happen too often...(?)

Piracy is something that cannot be avoided I guess. I've run into numerous sites that had free download links to my commercial game. The most annoying ones being mobile ports, because I never made a mobile port of my game. Then I hear people asking on the discord if my new game will have a mobile port similar to the first game - then I'm just "uuuhhhhh... there never was such thing..."

I don't have big issues with piracy per se, but stealing from little indie developers is the scummiest thing you can do. It literally affects the future of the dev or the franchise. It's not the same as pirating an Ubisoft game when the company makes billions of profit every year with or without your input. (Not saying that kind of piracy is okay either, but it doesn't have as destructive effects)

Aaron

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've only heard that some people have taken free rpg maker games and put them on Steam for a price which is really awful. But I'm guessing it doesn't happen too often...(?)

Piracy is something that cannot be avoided I guess. I've run into numerous sites that had free download links to my commercial game. The most annoying ones being mobile ports, because I never made a mobile port of my game. Then I hear people asking on the discord if my new game will have a mobile port similar to the first game - then I'm just "uuuhhhhh... there never was such thing..."

I don't have big issues with piracy per se, but stealing from little indie developers is the scummiest thing you can do. It literally affects the future of the dev or the franchise. It's not the same as pirating an Ubisoft game when the company makes billions of profit every year with or without your input. (Not saying that kind of piracy is okay either, but it doesn't have as destructive effects)
Yeah piracy is just inevitable but as you said stealing from indie devs (especially smaller ones) is just terrible. On a side note, your game looks great. It says some of it's influences is Silent Hill and NetHack. Silent Hill is my favorite horror movie and NetHack is one of my favorite retro roguelikes along with Brogue and Dwarf Fortress. I like your taste. It says there's roguelike elements in the game. By chance is one of those elements permadeath? I love permadeath in games.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@Aaron The first 1/3 of the game was always going to be more roguelike with permadeath and all, but everyone kept playing the game like a typical jRPG and complained about it, so I ended up changing things. Now permadeath is only in the hardest difficulty, while other difficulties got limited save point system. Nethack influences come more in shape of the game having many different solutions to problems and items having multiple different ways of use. As well as the whole randomization being kinda roguelike. Looking back to it, it's more trying to emulate immersive sims in a way. It's a weird fusion of genres.

Someone just upped my game in the Commercial Games section, so it's easy to find now. I'd be happy to talk more there. I don't want to take over this topic :o

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV

You said it everything I think...

And one more thing Aaron, don't worry about this kind of thing, we live in a place if a lot of problems, in my case my head is my problem because I have anxiety and I keep telling myself: Don't do this, don't do that. But If I listen this thoughts I am not gonna move to anywhere, so I decided to have faith and accept that I can do a good job and show it to the world! And If your idea was plagiarized in some other game, do it like Tsukihime told and show to the world that this is your work!

I work in this industry for 5 years already and I heard a lot of stories, but it's my faith that someday I am gonna be successful that keeps me going! :)

LovelyFlower

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It definitely happens, but most likely assets instead of whole games. You can see this a lot in Steam.
Some are brazen enough to steal the whole game yes.

Not too sure on idea stealing, since that opens up a can ofworms.

Aaron

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It definitely happens, but most likely assets instead of whole games. You can see this a lot in Steam.
Some are brazen enough to steal the whole game yes.

Not too sure on idea stealing, since that opens up a can ofworms.

The question was more so about stealing entire games, not stealing ideas. A good example of what I meant is kieferd20's shenanigans.

BladeRED

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stealing an entire game is too risky for someone i think. Because it's easier to report, i think. Stealing ideas and assets, hmm...for the first one i think it's hard to prove someone has stole your idea since you you can't pursue someone for having the same idea as you have.

It's more about the concept of your idea, if i remind well some example in the video game industry (like Pokemon and Pixelmon).

For the assets, however, if you have done your graphics all by yourself without permitting someone to use it, you cane easily prove the theft.

Of course, stealing an all game is still possible.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sxnju