Does it matter if the story for my game is super cliche?

CalebHatesYou

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The story for my game is super, and I mean SUPER cliche: travel the world, find the six ancient crystals so you can get the power to defeat the cult thats trying to ressurect an ancient demon thats been sealed away for 500 years. Thats pretty much the entire game's plot

The thing is though, this is kind of done by design as my main focus here is on the gameplay and all the different locations. This is also a side project, a game that I'm hoping to finish within a few months while my main project that i've been working on for 5+ years is on hold.

I'm even thinking about adding a bit of comedy into the game and having the characters make jokes about how generic the story is. My main question of course: if an RPGmaker game has great gameplay, replay value and a lot of non-linear exploring (similar to Dark souls 1 and 2) does it matter if the story sucks? Would love to hear your opinions :) Also sorry if this is in the wrong category.

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sometimes people prefer cliches to the new and original. Would many people be interested in a game where the party had to rescue the dragon, kill the princess and severely damage a large part of the world?

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
No, it doesn't matter if your story is filled to the brim with tried and tested tropes. All that matters is how well you can piece them together and form a decent story. I'm not even sure I'd call what you have a cliche at this point. I mean, I haven't seen such things used in a story in a very long time. Everyone else is too busy trying to make their stories filled with nonsensical twists and turns, or chasing that gritty realism filled with boobs. lol.

Kjmmmhg55

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It does not matter if the story is cliche, it is like anime, many of them are almost the same, some with almost the same protagonists.

The important thing is that there work, quality and of course, that you have the strength to continue with your game.
Although a game has an original and well-worked story, if it has bad gameplay, bugs, errors, etc. The game will not be very good received by people.

Remember to follow according to what your heart says.

And I'm trying to test your game:kaoluv:.

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As long as your game is fun to play, people won't mind if your story is cliche. It also helps that your game's humor lets the player know not to take the game too seriously. :)

Arctica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sometimes people prefer cliches to the new and original. Would many people be interested in a game where the party had to rescue the dragon, kill the princess and severely damage a large part of the world?
Deception III is pretty much like that, minus the dragon and kill princess bit. You kill your "mother" who is the queen of the realm(she actually killed her real parents), she has to go back in time to save her younger self and her family from being kidnapped and prevent the murder their real parents. Unfortunately, for Reina, as with any case of changing the past - she becomes the reason all of this started in the first place and her sister is still captured. Her sister is the key to everything, for she can't change the past for as long as her sister keeps getting captured, nothing else matters.

Deception IV - you're basically the daughter of the devil out to save the devil...

So yeah I would.

Also there was a person who posted on reddit that his first game was a bit of junkies out to save a giant weed of some sort and stating that "lol no one wanted to play that" but my reaction was the opposite as that sounded like a game that would be make me laugh the whole way.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also there was a person who posted on reddit that his first game was a bit of junkies out to save a giant weed of some sort and stating that "lol no one wanted to play that" but my reaction was the opposite as that sounded like a game that would be make me laugh the whole way.
Lol, I would totally play that as well! XD

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Thank you.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The thing is though, this is kind of done by design as my main focus here is on the gameplay and all the different locations.
Then you answered your own question. Frankly, a game's story can be bad if the rest of the game picks up the slack.

if an RPGmaker game has great gameplay, replay value and a lot of non-linear exploring (similar to Dark souls 1 and 2) does it matter if the story sucks?
And this isn't just RPG maker. Fire Emblem Fates I often seen shredded apart for it's story, yet in Conquest the gameplay is one of, if not the best in the series, and thus people (and I) keep going back and playing it.

I'm even thinking about adding a bit of comedy into the game and having the characters make jokes about how generic the story is.
Now I'm thinking of if it being generic actually ties into the story. Like, this is the tenth time they've done it and they question why they keep letting the six crystals disappear and why they haven't decided to post guard in Darkkill Village XD

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As a non-native, I got bored when the game just drop a narration they expect me to understand the context. Most of the time I ignored that part and I only care what I need to do in the game. Kill all enemies? sure, I can do that.

Cliches and tropes helped me to understand what is going on without much explanation. It doesn't need to be said more, it's about killing the dragon and saving the princess. Easy enough to digest.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Imma echo what @ericv00 and @MarxMayhem said about writing! But just, um, please...
I'm even thinking about adding a bit of comedy into the game and having the characters make jokes about how generic the story is.
Can we NOT have this? I mean, sure, if ya gonna do it super well, go ahead... but I'm just about bloated with pokin' fun at generic fantasy stories and trappings. Jus' don't do it. Please. :kaocry:

The thing is, if ya story clichéd, and ya tellin' it heartfelt and like, it's gonna be okay. But if ya story clichéd, and you like, "lol my story clichéd, look at these losers, lol a dark lord", then I'm like, why should I care? I know irony and sarcasm and self-awareness are du jour 'n all, BUT BEIN' HEARTFELT AND HONEST IS THAT MUCH MORE POWERFUL. Jus' saying. :biggrin:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
@alice_gristle I agree. That sort of stuff is fun once in a blue moon, but not every story we deem cliched needs to poke fun at itself. If a story is clearly a joke, then that's how I'll treat it. I won't care for the characters or the plot in the slightest.

Contrary to what some would have us believe, people still genuinely enjoy traditional fantasy stories. The whole good vs evil thing, knights, princesses, wizards, etc - all of it still appeals to so many people.

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The reason cliches exist is because they work. Nothing wrong with using them; it's all about how you use them.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cliche story can be really good when executed well.
I think characters are more important than the story itself.
If they are relatable and entertaining, I genuinely enjoy it. :D

The stereotypes are readily available.
Maybe one character is quiet, another is bubbly.
One is a bookworm, another is a money lover.
I always appreciate how contrasting characters interacting with one another,
and how they can influence each other. :)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll play a game with fun gameplay and poor story, but I won't play a game with bad gameplay but a good story. Personally, I have no issues with clichés, as long as they're well presented.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What's kind of amazing is I've been in a developmental rut for the LONGEST time but putting a music mix on of video game soundtracks and specifically hearing the VX Ace music come up and it's nostalgia of me being excited to make my first game has REALLY got me going again!
Finally finished my tiefling!
F222514F-9F32-4B97-88C3-664E8A2134C3.gif
I wonder... If I develop my own game hacks, does it count as beating the game my own way?
First 12 minutes of gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yukku