Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi. I haven't posted on here in a while, due to my last mention of this puzzle being ignored- but you're not here for that mess.

In my game, I have partially created a fairly complex and difficult puzzle. It takes place in this room.

Puzzle Room.png

The player, upon entering the room, would walk to the end of this room, where the doors are. The sign on the left reads:

The leather parchment is affixed to the wall with
 nails. There's a handwritten quotation in ink on
 the front.

"Open the door by answering this:
 Which one of these nobles had an eagle
 emblazoned on their flag?"

"You must assemble the key in this order:
 the first noble's location, then flag color, then drink,
then climate, and finally their flag's emblem."

"Do this for each noble in turn."

The sign on the right reads:

The leather parchment is affixed to the wall with
 nails. There's a handwritten quotation in ink on
 the front.

"...Lord Adelard's castle was the first built in
 the kingdom, in the..."

This is the first of 13 clues throughout the room. The key information is the name of a noble, King Adelard, and that his castle was built first.

The seven things a player would look for are:

-The noble's name

-The time in which his castle was built (First, Second, etc)

-The area of the kingdom he lived in (North, South, Center, etc)

-The color of his flag

-The noble's chosen drink

-The climate of his location (Forest, Island, Mountains, etc)

-The flag's emblem

After reading the left sign, the player could walk down to the bottom-left corner of the room, and find a steel key handle, along with 25 labeled teeth. The teeth would say "Green" or "Wine" or "South" or "Forest", and there are no repeats.

At any time after this, the player can use the Key handle item to bring up a GUI which would look sort of like this.

Key.png

The goal of the puzzle is to figure out which teeth correspond to which section of the key; let's say if "South" was the area of the kingdom Adelard lived in, you'd put the tooth labeled south in the first section of the key, in the first slot.

Now, if you were given 13 clues like the one above, or even one as wordy as

"...The greatest of the lords of the time, known
 simply as 'Brenin-Lleuad', built his great fortress in
 the center of the kingdom, far from any opposition
 resting at the borders..."

Would this make sense to you?

This is the hardest puzzle in my entire game, and if completed correctly, unlocks a secret ending, so it needs to be extremely difficult, but still make sense and be doable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry, bad enough headache right now(been fighting a nasty one all day) I really can't focus well enough to make sense of much of anything right now so I don't know. Maybe if I remember to check this again tomorrow I'll be able to read it through and think about it instead of losing track of what I'm reading before I even finish it.

I did however notice some typos in the text the player would see that you might want to fix.
It appears you switched "than" and "then". The word "than" compares while the word "then" describes order of occurrence.
Here are a couple examples of proper usage:

She is smarter than he is.
Place this here then place that there.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah, thanks. I only have time to do this game at night (11 pm and after), so I often make mistakes I don't notice.

Edit: Fixed all that I could find in the post and in the game.

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It happens, the biggest problem for a writer is usually the fact that when reading your work you know what you meant to write and see what you expect to see rather than what is actually there. That is why it is so helpful to have someone else do the proofreading.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If anyone is interested in actually solving it, I've finished writing all of the clues in my style. I just want to be sure this makes sense before actually implementing it.

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It does make sense, but it would also be quite difficult. How are the key pieces labeled? That will have to be obvious at least, if the player can't easily tell them apart the rest goes from difficult to impossible. Can the clues be checked repeatedly? Also, can the key parts be put in and left in while you find the other clues or do you have to place all 13 in one try and reset completely if they leave to recheck the clues?

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You know what? I had three pages typed up in response, and then accidentally clicked the Homepage button while switching tabs. Screw that button, I removed it from the browser, it can burn in hell. You'd use the 'key handle' item to bring up a GUI that looks like this:

Key.png

You'd be able to click on/ hover over/ select each key tooth to see its one word label, like 'Fish', 'Green', 'Mountain', 'Cider', 'West', etc.. The clues are hanging on the walls, so you can read them as much as you want.

I'd want to have it so that the player could place one and leave, then come back and it'd still be there. However, I have no clue how to make a GUI in RPG Maker, and so I don't know their limitations.

If you need any more info, let me know. In the original draft of this, I had everything spelled out, even the clues placed in order. But then, Firefox screwed me over, so meh, I didn't feel like writing everything again.

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That is why if I'm going to be posting anything more than a sentence or two I draft it in Word or something rather than in the browser window.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
^ After I raged about it, my Dad asked why I wasn't doing that exact thing.

If you're interested in seeing the clues, I'll put them here.

1.)  "...The greatest of the lords of his time, known simply as 'Brenin-Lleuad', built his great fortress in the center of the kingdom, far from any opposition resting at the borders..."

2.)  "...Lord Osbert lived in days of peace, and plenty. His flag reflected this, depicting a wild boar. Like Lord ---, this was considered to be his favorite meal, and was not symbolic..."

3.) "Lord Robert's lands were not beautiful or impressive, nor were they plentiful. Consequently , the only creature his people could safely care for was the hardy goat. Because of this, during much of his life, he was even pressed to drink milk, which he held a strange disdain for."

4.) "Lord ---, known more today for his "white flag" politics than his actual reign, was eventually succeeded by his son, Lord ---, who abolished his fathers policies, and even chose a deep blue color to replace the white."

5.) "During his reign, Lord --- of the Mountains changed his daily robes, and even his flag, to a pure white color, hoping to be seen as saintly and pure by his people. In truth, he was a corrupt man, who was known to be cruel and unjust by his people, even blacking out drinking cider and alcohol in times of famine."

6.) "Once his great fortress was built on the rocky sea-cliffs of Rhosmor, King --- was asked which creature he desired for his flag's emblem. He replied that he wanted a lamb of peace, and the rest is history."

7.) "As he lived in the most desolate of our lands, the Moor, he chose to made his flag a lively green color, to remind his men of the lush fields they hoped to reclaim."

8.) "---, who was a minor noble at the time, decided enough was enough. With only 3,000 men by his side, he sieged Lord ---s castle, razing it and his army, and ending their reign. His ///castle was built after the battle, making him the third to have built one in our history."

9.)  "...Lord Adelard's castle was the first built in the kingdom, in the..." First hint, and so is simple.

10.) "Once King --- realized his rival's move, he quickly changed his own standard to that of a sturgeon, an odd choice; though, it's likely King --- chose them more because he enjoyed the flavor than any noble reason."

11.) "Lord ---, who had taken to Arienthir of the North, had in truth distrusted --- from the beginning; after three years both nobles' castles were completed and Lord --- changed his standard from a grazing horse, to one with a rider charging into battle."

12.) "...In other areas of the kingdom, grapes and barley fell in supply, until only nobles could afford them. Lord ---, at the time living in his forested manor in ---, developed a taste for tea instead, which was much cheaper then than it is today."

13.) "...Lord Cynric, who had been childhood friends with ---, eventually moved to the ---, and built a massive fortress on Mount Daubrig's only known pass. This blocked trade in the region for years, until a tunnel was built in the Year..."

14.) "Lord Adelard quickly found himself at war with Lord ---, and both raced to build a castle of their own in case blood was to be spilt. They both finished within only three months of each other, and Adelard took this opportunity to siege..."

15.) "...[His] castle, on the Isle of Moeltraeth, and that of --- were both built within a few months of each other, though the latter's dwelling was quickly overcome by a malady in the water supply. This proved fatal to ---, as there was nothing else to drink in that land..."

The names of the various areas are:

West: Isle of Moeltraeth, Lord Robert

South: Tirde, Forested Area, Lord Osbert

East: Mount Daubrig, Lord Cynric

North: Land of Areinthir, The Moors, Lord Adelard

Center: Rhosmor Cliffs, Great-King Brenin-Lleuad

Started this comment four hours ago.. oops forgot to finish and post it. XD

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sounds like your world has a ton of backstory, nice!

To be honest, I think I would have a great deal of difficulty keeping all the info straight, but it would be interesting.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
 Alright sweet! Also, I certainly hope that it has enough backstory; this is the fifth game involving this specific world I've attempted to make. It's the first from this person's viewpoint though, and also the most complete. This could be marked as solved, but I want to leave it open in case anyone has advice.

Thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We'll be doing another giveaway of MZ on the stream tomorrow! Thank you SykoGaming for contributing a copy for the community! :D
Sorry guys! Been away for long this time. Got attacked by my anxieties again. At least no more bedbugs. Got logged out of here and layout seems strange now a bit.
My old project is now a sitcom
How to do implementation the social politcal mechanics in rpg maker? Thank you for quick spark of ideas. Fear of going to the thread lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memakegamemekillminority